ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Molly and Jack's Puppies are 10 Days Old!

The pups are 10 days old and are doing so well.  Some of their eyes are open, the weight gain is excellent, they are thriving, very mobile and agile already..  This is the special time of their development... neo natal, the darkness will soon turn to light for them as their eyes continue to open.  Still underneath the heat lamp for more weeks to come, nestled away from the hustle bustle of everyday life, safe in the care of their mother Molly.  The puppy area is so warm and cozy, the pellet stove keeps us all warm.  John has taken much of the responsibility for caring for these babies and Molly, she is his special girl!  He's doing such a great job.  The pups are gently and lovingly handled several times a day by us.  Their markings are beautiful, I love that they all have a perfect blaze and mask. It seems the patterns of their coat are most like Molly, the coat itself is beautiful.  Hair now covers their ears and are beginning to look more like ears than a little tag of rubber!  They are maturing well, I heard a little baby 'woof' sound this evening.  I apologize for not being able to get back to the blog as often as I like to, but please email us directly anytime you'd like to keep in touch!  Molly Rose is doing wonderful, she has worked through that period of primal protection over her pups. She's a very nurturing mother and her milk is more than ample so pups are growing quickly!  She is happy to spend longer amounts of time away from the whelping box where the pups are.  The other day we took a longer walk around together, the first time she's done that since pups were born.   Its important for her to get out and exercise, now more than ever.  Since we've past that stage where she would barely leave the pups at all, I can now take the time to give her a proper grooming.  I'm planning a nice oatmeal bath and conditioner for her, and making her all beautiful!  Although we can give sponge baths and apply warm compresses to her tummy, it's not the same as a full all over bath.  I love the grooming aspects of taking care of our dogs anyway, it's not a chore or a hastle.  It's a very special one on one time of nearly silent communication.  Rosie and Scooby especially love these times and will both jump onto the grooming table at the same time in hopes of being first!  Speaking of which... all of ATB is really doing quite well this winter and we've all been enjoying the cleared land and new pond out back.  It's a lot easier for me that's for sure, I can see the dogs, and they can see me so I don't have to continually call them back.  I have tons of pictures from this winter.  When I find time, I'll have to do another video.  OH WAIT I ALMOST FORGOT!!! We have a new camera, John bought me a Canon Power Shot SX120... it's a point and shoot digital but it has a lot more bells and whistles, which of course I have to learn how to use.  You can plug it directly into the TV and watch whatever you've been capturing.  Also, I'm messing around with making actual DVD's from some of our stuff so - be forewarned!  Oh.... I am tired.   John fell asleep in the chair by the woodstove listening to Prairie Home Companion.  He is disappointed that the program is going to change.  Graham Keiller had a stroke and will not be doing the show much longer.  I cannot imagine Saturday night without that!  Oh I know it sounds so fuddy duddy but once you get into a little routine, it's something to look forward to.  In the summer, we sit outside by the firepit with ATB, listening to the program into the night... in the winter, we're doing the same thing but it's inside with the fire blazing keeping us warm.  Just don't ask me how many times we make it through to the end without falling asleep!  Having said that, I'm sure there is more I should say but I'm calling it a day... Good night and God Bless you all, John, Ann and All Things Brittany

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things are going great with the new babies, this winter is flying right along for us too, but Nash (being the proud big brother to this litter) wanted me to send you best wishes, hugs and kisses too! Let us know when you, John and ATB are available and we can plan a vist sometime after the Club Meeting....love ya!

    Steve, Steph, Starr & NashDog

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!