ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The First Day Without Puppies

This is "Tenzing" helping me as I finish up on paperwork to give to his new owners.  An 8 week old pup from Molly and Jacks January litter, "Tenz" began the first day of the rest of his life today.  All 8 pups are now enjoying their new families, friends and new homes. 

For the rest of this year my life is not going to revolve around canine proestrus, estrus, diestrus, or anestrus cycles!  No longer will I be watching for the boys at ATB to tell me to be on the lookout for 'first blood'.  And it will be awhile before I look for signs that will indicate a viable pregnancy.  A period of 63 days will not be the driving force that compels me to closely monitor a Brittany in whelp closely followed by 8 weeks of total devotion to a litter of Brittany puppies. There will no need for a weeks worth of trips back and forth to the veterinarean for progesterone essays and cytology to determine the best day for breeding.  At least not for awhile yet. 

"Tenzing" (pictured above) just left with his new owners Hi and Helen, who were beaming with delight at their new little puppy.  Tenz also was introduced to his two new older 'siblings';  Choc, a beautiful brown border collie and Lhotse, a very handsome Brittany.  Choc and Llotse have been very sad as have their owners over the past few months.  They lost a very special part of the family when their other Brittany "Tilly" left for the Rainbow Bridge back in December.  Today Tenzing joined this special family and I believe he will bring much joy and happiness to them all.  Helen is very involved with the sport of Agility with her dogs and Tenzing will be trained with this sport in mind. John and I worked very hard to be sure that the match would be perfect and after today, we are confident that is so.  Tilly was one of the top competing Brittanys in the country from what I understand and quite celebrated by those who knew her.  Helen sent me a wonderful article about how she started training with Tilly for this sport and how far they came together.  I'm not familiar with all the titles but Tilly held a MACH title (AKC Master Agility Title).  Something tells me we're going to have a renewed interest in this sport.  If Tilly is anything like her half sister Sassy (Master Flyball Dog Champion Gold) she will be quite outstanding in her own right!  I'm very happy for Hi and for Helen.

This weekend John and I are sending Pippin off again only this time instead of going to a show, it will be to a field trial.  A friend of ours is going to transport Miss Pippin to Dawn who will handle her in the Amateur Walking Derby this weekend with the Southern New England Brittany Club.  Dawn has also said she'd love to handle Pippin for us at the upcoming Futurity in New York.  It's time to put the Brittany mobile back on the road for Julie and I will be traveling together to the Futurity.  Bailey, Bullet, and Pippin are all "Futurity Nominated" and as their breeder I'm very proud.  We have never ventrued out of New England for an event before, and certainly never had any of our litters of Brittanys futurity nominated.  Basically, these special events are an opportunity for breeders to showcase their breeding programs and is a time honored tradition of the American Brittany Club. Well... I'm still going to miss Pippin although she'll be in excellent hands.  John and I will be celebrating Callum's 7th birthday here in Maine!

Last night I did something I have not yet done with True, and vowed I never would do as "things would be different" with him.  HA.  After the long and sad day John and I had yesterday we both were so exhausted when we came home.  I'd pulled my back (nice) and my knee was still complaining about me showing Pippin myself on Sunday so all I wanted to do was crash.  Not so easy with ATB!  Our friend Mal called to invite us for a spaghetti supper - by the way he makes the BEST spaghetti sauce.  When he learned we'd just arrived back home and how I was feeling he told John come down to his house and he'd send dinner our way.  Wasn't that nice?  Well anyway - I went to bed very early last night as did John. At around 2 A.M. the dogs in the house began to get restless for some reason and I went to see where they were and what they were doing.  And I came back with True... who stayed with us until John got out of bed early in the morning.   He is a cuddle bug like his mother Treasure! 

Speaking of Treasure, for those who have an interest in her next litter - there are 5 puppies definitely spoken for and that's not including what the Jacksons or John and I want to do about a pup.  I do not expect to see pups until very late 2010/early 2011.  This is our only planned litter for 2010 though and in which case you do not want to wait, we are always happy to give referrals to other breeders.  Otherwise we'll be happy to add to our serious inquiry list.

I'm still working on getting some photos published from the New England Sporting Dog Group Association shows this weekend.  I did get a video up of Dawn and Morgen winning her championship.  There seems to be a lot of shows coming up but it will be pick and choose as to which ones Pippin is shown at.  I'm thankful to have Pam, Julie, and Dawn all so willing to help me out.  I think my knee is going to eventually need surgery but for now I'll keep gimping along, living on Aleve and Icy Hot while using my knee brace. Even so, Dawn empasized I needed to be able to move out with Pippin, and reinforced what a FANTASTIC job Julie did with her on Saturday.  Julie was on standby Sunday but it was awesome to work with Pippin myself.  For the first time in awhile it felt like teamwork.  The same thing is said about Dawn regarding a willingness to help Pippin at field trials too. And I love to work with Bullet as well when it's helpful.  Speaking of field events - anyone wishing information on some of the upcoming Hunt Tests just let us know or you can go to AKC and search for time/locations.  "Our" Brittany club is getting closer to holding Hunt Tests ourselves, I'm so glad!  And we are having a field trial in the spring this year - first time in a long while.  There surely are going to be enough 6 month old puppies around to run in the puppy stakes!!!

We never ever tire hearing of stories of Brittanys especially those from ATB.  I was thrilled to hear that "Riley" (Treasure/Gibson pup) was used by NAVHDA trainers to demonstrate natural ability and skill recently.  How cool is that?!  And the reports about Brandi plus what we saw ourselves here are cause to be very proud.  I could right down an entire list and include most of our dogs over the past few years and beam with great pride at all they have been doing in the field and in some instances, in the ring and other events.  Versatile takes on new meaning!  And how can I ever forget how exceptional Remi has been the past 18 months in the field with his owner and trainer?  I'm beginning to fear overlooking or leaving a name off of my accolades - just like with children and grandchildren - I don't want anyone to be left out! It's time for an ATB brag book, with contributions by owners - not just me bragging!

Soon you will notice a whole new look to the website at J & A's Brittanys.  I may need to temporarily shut it down for awhile as I transfer some files and move the domain.  But it is time for a facelift.  In the meantime information about All Things Brittany will be found here and pictures, pedigrees, and testimony will remain right here.

Above all, remember to keep life simple in as much as you possibly can.  Think on things that will bring encouragement and uplift not only others, but your own 'spirit'.  Never take yourself too seriously.  And when people just plain old bug you, and no matter how hard you try to work things out - give yourself permission to walk away. Avoid being used but when you discover you have been, just get over it.  Life is way too short and precious to waste time trying to figure out what makes other people tick.  When it comes to friendships - REAL friendships - think of this little childhood song "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."

John and I are so appreciative of those who have taken an interest in All Things Brittany.  It's fun to share ordinary things about extraordinary dogs with very extraordinary people,  like you!  It's not just surface stuff here you know - we'd like to think it's the 'real deal'.  Although there are times I'm personally challenged to accept the reality of it.  But who can deny the way lives are drawn towards each other, how paths cross, how timing seems perfect more often than not... We're enjoying this journey we call life - with all the ups and downs, highs and lows, challenges and successes, and victories and failures.  And sharing it with Brittany dogs who are more understanding and forgiving than most people - and in my opinion, certainly more intelligent than a lot of them!!!! 

Tired tired tired.... so take care and God Bless You and Yours ALWAYS!!!
John, Ann, Rosie, Molly, Wish, Pippin, True, Treasure, Jack, Piper, and Scooby Doobah!








No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!