ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Beautiful Day, Beautiful Dogs, Beautiful Wish!

Birch Springs Wish Upon A Star "Wish"
Who could have known?  Nearly 6 years ago John and I drove a few hours away to southern New Hampshire to inquire about the availability of a female liver and white Brittany, just about 18 months old.  When her co-owner led her down the path at a close heel my mouth dropped in astonishment at how beautiful this young girl was.  There were other things going on at the time but it was "Wish" who captured my attention.  I had never seen such intense expression in any Brittanys eyes before.  Her size was perfect to me and I saw what was in my opinion a Brittany who looked the way a Brittany was supposed to look.  Her coat, the texture, her structure truly astounded me.  And then her personality exploded in front of my eyes as she bounded and ran and jumped with glee and there was no question John and I wanted her to come home with us. Wish has never ceased to amaze me with her individual and unique style, her incredibly strong natural near primal hunting instincts and above all - her ability to time and time again pass this along to not only her children, but to her grandchildren and... if all goes well... soon to her great-grandchildren. 

I have never ever been able to capture Wish on film accurately.  When I've been hunting with her in the past and she locked up on woodcock there was no camera.  And at home or at play - she is so quick in movement that by the time I get her locked into the viewfinder she has moved or just looks awkward.  But today was different.  Today I was able to take the picture of Wish that I've always longed to have and just wanted to share such a simple thing here on our blog. 

John spend the afternoon bush-hogging some nearby acreage so ATB minus Jack - were here with me. Not a day for training or hunting, just a day for hanging out and enjoying the beautiful weather that October 2010 has offered us so far.  I grabbed the camera and headed down back to spend some time sitting down and relaxing on Timbers tree stump. Actually I should now call it the ATB tree stump for they all jump up and down and join me whenever I rest there.  Last year when the excavating was going on for the pond John gave our nephew Robbie explicit orders not to move that stump or let anything happen to it.  There's a lot of good reasons for that including how, when Timbers cremains were released on the wind, to freely soar like an eagle some settled there around his tree stump.

Anyway.  I bet we all spent a good two hours simply 'being'.  Being in the moment.  Feeling the warmth of the sun.  Some splashing in the ever dwindling water left in the pond.  Running, hunting, digging, playing with non-hazardous snakes, stealing bones from each other, burying them, barking, acting crazy like Brittanys love to do and finally, eventually just all laying down around me when we returned to the front yard.  Be forewarned, I do have a ton of photos and videos to edit!

I guess I have to say that for the first time my knee may actually be on the mend.  I know this because I was able to tromp down to the ponds and the woods, back up to the front yard, and then power wash the kennel runs, play with the dogs some more before finally feeling a need to rest. This is a big deal.

But back to Wish... I love her.  I love what is wild and untamed within her but I love her sweetness and intuitiveness. And listen to this crazy story.  About a month ago I tried a telepathic thing with the dogs... I sat down and closed my eyes and focused on a dog coming up to me without calling them specifically. Soon I felt the gentle nudge of a Brittany head on my hands and opened my eyes.  It was Wish!  I really didn't expect it would be her.  So I figured it was a coincidence.  Did it again once all the dogs were off doing their own thing.  This time a dog jumped up behind me on the picnic table and began to kiss my ear.  And what do you know, it was Wish again!!!   Once more, I let time pass and the dogs were here, there and everywhere.  Tried it one last time.  This time she was far away.  I closed my eyes and waited, just mentally calling a dog, any dog to me.  And she came bounding to me, stood in front with eyes gleaming brightly and tail wagging furiously.  Okay.  I need to get a life.. Oh wait.  I do have one. It is called All things Brittany!   And I love it! Take care and God bless, John, Ann and ATB

2 comments:

  1. I think this may be my very most favorite Blog; mostly because I love Wish and I love her daughter Starr more than I thought I could ever love a Brittany. Wish caught my attention when we first met much the same way she caught Ann's, something in her eye knew that I needed to be comforted, and before I knew it, she had my heart. Alot of what Ann has written I see in Starr everyday, those understanding eyes, that playful spirit, the serious hunter she has become and always knowing when I need her most. A Blessing in a little tri-colored girl, thank you Wish; your loved more than you know!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How well I remember that first encounter between you and Wish several years ago...she connected with you at a time when you needed her to. She was like that with me when Timberdoodle died... I'm so happy to know that Starr brings so much joy to your heart and life,she reminds me too very much of her mother. Wish is like the 'wind beneath the wings' here, always in the background but never far from the hearts and mind of those who understand how important she continues to be.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!