ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

2 Short ATB Videos: Hemi & Jack Summer Morn / Whoa & Show training

(Don't forget to pause the PlayList box in the right corner!)

A fairly busy day for us here, and I wouldn't even be blogging about it except sometimes you have to stop in the middle of  busy-ness and as they say, smell the roses. In this situation there are no roses involved but there is a Jack and a Hemi involved.  I am packing up for 3 days of dog showing.  My show checklist has been printed off and it is nearly all crossed off. Just a couple of more things to do.  Not to mention that today is the Maine Bird Dog Club grounds work day and I'll probably skip up there at some point.  Even so, no matter how many chores or errands need to be done and regardless of dishes in the sink or the laundry pile in the bathroom, not to mention one final groom for Pippin before we leave - all these things - cannot keep my eyes off of the beautiful and simple joys that our Brittany dogs bring to me.  This morning was no exception. And Hemi started it all by deciding to lay down across my bare feet, keeping them very warm as I checked e-mail, Facebook, etc.

( I hate to wear shoes so even when the weather gets colder, I am still barefoot.  Crocs are my choice of footwear most of the time because I don't have to deal with ties, laces, a shoe horn or whatever.  I am happy that Maryann gave me a new pair of blue Crocs for my new birthday. She is happy too because I embarassed her when I wore my old beat up green ones. This is also why my last pair of sneakers was a gift from her.  I do not have a whole closet of shoes, my shoes do not match my outfits, I do not care about the latest style in footwear, and when I buy a pair of shoes it is most always for practical reasons and the shoes... well of course they are very basic and practical.  The Borne leather sandals I bought at the Kittery Trading Post cost $85.00 when I bought them back in 2000.  I wore them to where while in Israel that year, when I literally walked the same roads that Jesus Christ once walked upon in Jerusalem.  My Merrick leather shoes were in that same price range when I bought them at L.L. Beans a few years ago. They were recommended to me because of my osteoarthritis. Last but not least I splurged again this spring on footwear when I bought a pair of muck style boots made by Crocs.  Just perfect.)

Shortly after Hemi's nap on my toes he walked around trying to find something to do to occupy himself while I typed away. He is a great puppy and really does keep himself amused and busy.  He's not demanding and will often simply find a toy or a bone to play with. Eventually he walked over to the porch screen door and gently pushed on it with his nose.  That's one of the ways that 14 week old Hemi communicates that he has to "go outside".  JackDog heard the screen door slide open and followed Hemi outdoors and pup thought this was so cool. His mother along with Treasure were crated with their dishes of dog food and a fresh pail of water. They were essentially having a break from Hemi and vice versa.

I will admit. I was impatient. I wanted to finish up what I was doing. I wanted to continue on with my proposed plans for the morning before it turned into afternoon and the pressure of getting ready to leave tomorrow hit full force. Hemi didn't 'go'.  Jack didn't 'go'.  I stood on the porch waiting for the tell tale sign of a dog doing it's business. It never happened.  But something I could not have anticipated did.

I watched as Hemi and Jack shared some really special moments together. We really can learn a lot from dogs you know.  They can take a simple thing like having to go to the bathroom and turn it into an adventure! Seriously. I'm not sure they ever actually went, or maybe they didn't really need to. Maybe there are more precise and subtle behaviors involved when it comes to specific requests that dogs make to go outside.  I think that must be the answer.

Anyway, I was a captive audience as my camera caught the most simplest of dog behavior between an adult male dog and a male puppy dog.  Beginning to end.  And so I have sharee it with you. Hope you enjoy.
Take care and God bless you and yours always -you know we appreciate your interest in All Things Brittany! John, Ann and the crew

PS  Here is a quick clip of Hemi as I work with him regarding a natural 'pose'!  I am blending early 'whoa training' with early 'show training!'



No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!