ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

ATB: Pippin & Pups


Hemi and Thistle are showing us all so much potential.  There is a deliberate effort on our part to keep the training for the ring and for the field as balanced as we can.  When we come back from a busy show weekend (match or otherwise) the first thing we're trying to do is get the pups out into the field and on birds the very next day.  The handling classes and the matches have been the training ground for understanding what will be expected of them as they grow into adulthood.  Right now it is all about fun and these pups are not going to have any problem in either venue.  Hemi and Thistle honor each other now and that is without effort.  We are mindful to let the fieldwork remain fun and uninhibited and actually vary the methods being used on any particular outing.  Both pupsters have 5 shows and 3 matches under their belts with very significant placements. At 4 months old Hemi even has a fun field trial placement!  Hemi won his first blue ribbon in Springfield with competition and Thistle enjoyed her first time in the ring with second place.  Pippin, Bullet, and Treasure were also entered in these shows.  (I was happy for our friend Lorri who finished her beautiful Brittany that weekend with back to back majors.)  But the most encouraging time so far was this past weekend when, at a small show with some competition, they both came home with points towards their AKC Championship titles. Thistle knocked our socks off when she went Winners Bitch (WB) for 2 points, Best Opposite Sex (BOS), and and Best Puppy in Breed on Saturday!  Hemi did get Reserve Winner (RW) on Saturday.  Then on Sunday Thistle went WB for 1 point, and BOS.  That was the day little britches Hemi - won his 1st point with Winners Dog (WD) and went Best of Winners (BOW)!  Bullet showed well for Julie and placed in his class. 

As exciting and wonderful as these accomplishments were I had a personal best goal for the weekend.  I really wanted to show Pippin to the best of my ability on Sunday in the Best Bred by Exhibitor in Breed (BBE).  It ended up not being much of a competition with one entry but her breed win opened the door to compete with other sporting dogs bred by their exhibitors as well.  Julie was willing to take her into the Sporting Group competition for me but she also encouraged me to give it my best shot.  Pippin had given me her "happy tail" and really turned it on in the ring.  She gave me 100%.  After standing with Pippin along side of the Best of Breed, Best of Winners, Best Opposite Sex, and realizing her two pups won the available points - I was pumped. 

Pippin spent some of the afternoon resting and later a final grooming before going back in.  There were 6 beautiful entries of Sporting Dogs in the BBE Group. I was going in for the fun of it.  Pippin was easy to present as we went into the ring. Her movement felt right on, I was confident as she placed herself leaving very little for me other than adjust a certain spring loaded leg.  I remembered how very much I love showing Pippin and it reminded me of taking her mother Chrissy into the ring years ago.  My own mobility continued to be somewhat limited but I did my best knowing the presentation is everything.  Going into the ring the adrenaline rush was so tremendous, all that mattered to me was Pippin at the end of the lead. She kept looking up at me as we went around the ring as if to say 'is that really you? are you really doing this with me?' and I just kept telling her what a good good girl she was.  And when Pippin is happy, it shows and makes everyone is happy!  I swear she smiled.  I know I was when the judge selected us for a Best Bred By Exhibitor Group 4.  A very personal goal has been successfully achieved.  Here's to meeting more of them in 2012 on behalf of all of  J&A's Brittanys !

As always take care and God bless, thanks for your interest - John, Ann and All Things Brittany

PS Those of you who have been on our waiting list for our next litter, would you please email me privately?  We need to reconfirm your level of interest! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!