ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

ATB: Ahhhh - Puppy Breath and God's Breath

I am always quite happy and often at my best when surrounded by my Brittany dogs. They ask so little other than to be loved, well cared for, and appreciated for the awesome beings that God has created them to be. That is the very least I can do in exchange for what they bring to me every moment of every day. So whether I'm sitting observing pups in the whelping box, repeatedly throwing a stick into the pond that several of the crew will run, jump, and swim to be the first to retrieve, quietly photographing the smile on John's face when he's surrounded by the dogs or working in the field, or simply just 'being' while laying on the grass or the couch with them nearby there is a strong element of joy and satisfaction to be embraced. All of the above are moments in my life that God can ultimately use to touch my heart.

I am reminded how puppy breath has been a reality in my life since 1960. My parents were dog breeders and I have always coveted the scent. Many years later I still covet it. I was happy to discover I was not alone in this oddity as there actually seems to be a puppy breath following. Breeders especially make mention of their need for a 'puppy breath fix" often on social media. We are a strange lot!

I have discovered this sweet breath not only is it absolutely delightful but it has a positive effect upon me personally.  Carefully, I approach the whelping box, kneel down on the floor (when I can) and gently reach for a young puppy.  I delight in their warmth and wiggling as I gently bring the sweet little puppy up closer to my face. There is a purpose in doing this as I breathe gently upon them. I am teaching them to become accustomed to my own scent in the days and weeks ahead.

The reaction is priceless as they quickly open their little mouths as if to yawn. In the briefest instance of inhaling the familiar, deep intoxicating smell I know and love so well as "puppy breath."  Wondrously, God has used those fleeting moments of time to draw me closer to Him, to make me aware and pay attention as He teaches me something important for His own purpose in my life.

As surely as the little puppy breath has a calming effect upon me, greater still is the awareness that the breath of God's Holy Spirit is always there, refreshing my heart, my mind, my soul, my own spirit whenever I need Him the most. Just as the pups will soon identify me by scent, a little analogy is created. Over the years I have become accustomed to the breath of God upon my life.

In His understanding of who I am God knows just how to effectively reach our hearts. Just like a loving father God cares about the things that concern us. Daily, all manner of noise permeates our life. Constantly,we encounter people with foolish and slanted philosophies. No matter where we are we will hear words spoken by judgemental and opinionated people that we are unable to accept or agree with.

God's desire is to see us walk in the fullness of the peace He gives through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. This peace is not something we can pull off without His help, no matter how hard we strive to do so. It's not the same peace that we hear the world talk about. The breath of God, His Holy Spirit is as important to us as the air that we breathe. It brings renewal and refreshment to those who seek after the things of the Lord. But it must be sought after and desired. How do I know this is true? Jeremiah 29:13 reminds me: "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."

In the meantime, I've got some puppy breath to enjoy. Take care and God bless you always - John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

2 comments:

  1. Very beautifully and uplifting.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Ironically, I was originally going to share about the 'joy of genetics'but me thinks that God had a better idea. Appreciate that you took time to comment, I really never know.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!