ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, March 31, 2014

ATB: It's About Time!

Two Weeks Old
 
I can hear you, oh yes I can and you are saying "well, it's about time!"  And you're absolutely right, it is about time I focused my attention on sharing with you about the beautiful "Only Believe (all things are possible)" litter of Bullet and Thistle.  As I look at the clock I realize I am approaching my most creative time of day, or perhaps I should say most creative time of night.  It is also the time when I am most apt to fall asleep in the middle of writing resulting in my head hitting the keyboard or worse and horror of horrors it all gets published with nothing but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's across the page! Let's hope not.

The puppies are 2 weeks old today, born on our anniversary which is St. Patrick's Day, March 17th.  I will confess this has been the hardest litter by far to identify who is who but we are getting there. I have used our tried but true method of photo identification as well as washable markers but still cannot easily look at each pup and know for certain not only which one it is, but whether it's a male or a female! Although I think I'm gaining in the gender identification.  With there just being 4 boys they are fairly easy to keep track of, even if not by the actual litter nickname. Also, usually we name the pups as they arrive and have plenty of time in between puppies to record any unique markings. Not so with a C-section! I think the easiest way to play the name game is not to dwell on a particular litter theme at all but instead look at each puppy and see what the marking most resembles and figure it out that way. Alas! Weighing accurately has been a challenge but we are getting the job done and the average overall litter weight at 2 weeks old is 1 lb. 9 oz. which pleases me very much. Personally speaking I like to see an overall average weight gain of 1 lb or less per week for the first 6 weeks or so.

We have enjoyed sharing live viewing of the puppies via Skype and other means with the new puppy families.  I'm still not quite ready for a public channel which opens up the privacy of the whelping box to the outside world. But it's been fun to go live for an hour or two at a time and offer a glimpse into the "puppy cave."

We're under a self imposed quarantine from the time the pregnancy is confirmed and up until when we determine is a good time to plan visits for the pup's families. With the exception of family and a few close friends most visits are by appointment only.  It is not only upsetting to momma when there is unusual activity going on but also to the rest of the crew who always seem to understand and sense when there are pups on the ground. The primary reason for the self imposed quarantine however is for the well being of momma and her pups.  I have never been one to take a casual approach to going to dog shows when we have had pups and usually opt to remain right at home.  Recently there was an outbreak of Parvo with several dogs and young pups dying of it which was contracted at a New England dog show. I know one of the breeders effected.  People with very young pups are often anxious to show their new protégé off and understandably so but to me, it is not the risk. But I digress.

This past weekend we most certainly did open our gates, heart, and home for some very special puppy visits which also included two reunions.  Julie, Sassy, and Bullet traveled down from the Bangor area with my beautiful liver and white puppy from Hemi and Treasure, "Holly Beth."  She has been and will continue to be in the care of Julie while Thistle is here being a momma dog.  At 15 weeks I had wondered if Holly would remember me and she reassured me that she did by giving me a thorough face washing much to my delight!   Julie so greatly enjoyed an obviously happy reunion with Thistle. The feeling of happiness at being with each other was clearly a mutual one. Julie enjoyed spending time with Thistle and her puppies and even spent the night in the puppy cave with them at her request. 

Later on the afternoon of the next day our daughter and her family came up to continue a weekend long celebration of our oldest grandsons birthday.  It has just been 4 weeks since their beloved Brittany boy "Boomer" lost his battle with cancer of the mast cell tumor variety.  He'd been in their family for 9 wonderful years and was well loved by all especially the three young children who adored their best four legged friend.  The day of Boomers passing was also the day of confirming by xray that Thistle was carrying 10 - 12 puppies.  God works in mysterious ways as we had anticipated only 4- 6.   As the emptiness and sense of loss that comes when we lose a beloved family pet hit Maryann and her family very very hard. Especially her.  I was not surprised to learn they had decided they would like a puppy from the "Only Believe (all things are possible)" litter.  And yesterday my heart was full of joy and my eyes full of tears as one by one I watched their faces while observing Thistle and her puppies.

PUPPY DEVELOPMENT
Well if you are following along with the required reading of "Art of Raising a Puppy" by Monks of New Skete you are aware that the pups are still in the "Neo-Natal" developmental period.  Although it does not appear that much is going on in the whelping box at this age of 2 weeks the fact of the matter is there is a lot happening there. Here is a glimpse of what has transpired:

From birth, puppies are able to use their sense of smell and touch, which helps them root about the nest to find their mother's nipples. The first milk the mother produces, called colostrum, is rich in antibodies that provide passive immunity and help protect the babies from disease during these early weeks.

Right now, Thistle's  puppies sleep nearly 90 percent of the time, spending their awake time nursing. All their energy is funneled into growing, and their birth weight has doubled at this point. At first, the neo natal pups aren't able to support their weight, and crawl about with paddling motions of their front legs. The limited locomotion provides the exercise that develops muscles and coordination, and soon the puppies are crawling over and around each other and their mother.  The bottom of our whelping box is lined with heavy indoor/outdoor industrial carpeting providing for a sure grip to help strengthen their little legs.  We have several of these pads which we switch out, disinfect and replace at regular intervals.

We are already seeing huge changes in the pups as the  second week of life begins.  Ears and eyes are beginning to open . This is a time of transition as darkness turns to light and silence turns into wondrous new sounds. These puppies are already standing and taking their first wobbly steps.  They mouth and crawl over each other with curiosity. Thistle keep a constant watch on them, making sure their little bodies as well as her 'nest' is spotless and clean.  She does not stay with them constantly however she's never far away. Thistle has several options to choose from in the puppy cave and is quite content with her living arrangement.

Daily I continue to observe, handle, and stimulate the pups.  I am a huge fan of the Bio-Sensor method of raising pups which Carmen Battaglia has written much about.  Also known as the SMART Puppy training method used in the military. The little exercises which are part of the program are started at birth or shortly afterwards.  At 7 weeks we will evaluate the litter using Volhardts Puppy Aptitude Tests which we have adapted to meet the needs of our hunting dog program. I also implement as part of the development of the pups Karen Pryor's "Clicker Training A Litter."  It's simply fun! At 4-5 weeks they'll be exposed to a frozen gamebird wing and weather permitting they will all be introduced to birds before the time they leave. 

The 'profile' of families waiting for a puppy from this litter is interesting to me.  The majority of families have owned a Brittany before and/or they currently own one.  5 families getting a puppy are already part of the ATB family.  9 of the families are experienced bird hunting families. 3 of the families are getting a puppy as a result of a personal referral.  Several pups from this litter are also going to help bring healing over the unexpected loss of a previous Brittany friend. Once again it is by the Grace of God that an entire litter is spoken for and is reserved for those who we believe to be the best possible fit for one of our pups.

Okay my vision is beginning to blur, something that happens a lot to me lately when I spend too much time at the computer. I do need to get my (sigh) bifocals fixed.  I tried the progressive lenses and hated them.  I have tried the reading glass switch to distance and driving glasses approach too but I lose too many pair of glasses. Anyway the fact of the matter is letter are beginning to blur into each other so it's time for a game of Candy Crush before calling it a day.

As I sit, I watch the puppies who are nursing at their mother's side.  I am thinking of how quickly they have already grown and that the reality is they will continue to develop and change each day from this point on. This is the neo-natal period approaching the transitional period. It is still a near reverent time in the wee hours of morning when one has the privilege to watch Thistle and her babies interact with love. She's a good mom. And I want to be sure to give these pups the best that I have to give them.  This time with  sense of urgency on my part as my total knee replacement surgery is quickly approaching. I know John is awesome with the pups and will be taught as I would teach them. But it is perhaps a bit selfish on my part to simply say my favorite part of being a breeder is the opportunity to pour my life into theirs for the first 8 weeks.  That and the intoxicating scent of 'puppy breath'.  

Time to call it a night.  I shall see you on Facebook for those who are there.  Last but not least please take a few moments to visit our new website at www.mainebrittanysitejas.com . I've even managed to embed this blog on one of the pages there! (Don't even ask me how as I don't know). 

Please also join us in congratulating Walter and Christine Longley of Merrymeeting Brittanys on the arrival of Brandy and Bullet's 7 beautiful puppies!! 

As always take care and God bless you always. Thank you for your interest in our Brittanys!  John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

1 comment:

We'd love to hear from you!