ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

ATB: Gettin' Better All The Time

Today I just feel as if I want to break into a chorus of the Beatle song "Gettin' Better All The Time" to describe what it's been like to be back in the field again. For a long time following my total knee replacement back to the field meant sitting in my chair next to the chain gang waiting for John to return to tell me how each dog did. Each time he headed out I would hear the tone of the bell grow dimmer and dimmer, I would hear the shot from the blank gun, sometimes watch the bird fly over, and then the sound of the bell grow stronger as handler and dog returned.  Very often friends of ours would (and still) come to run their dogs and will give John a hand. At one point I drove the ATV around just so that I could see the dogs work which is something I derive great pleasure from. I know there are far greater physical challenges associated with recovery from diseases and much more complex surgeries.  I realize there are true heroes whose daily battles make what I went through seem like a walk in the park. But to me, that cinchy walk in the park lasted much longer than I could have anticipated, completely putting an end to enjoying ATB to the fullest with John.  But that was then and this is now.

A few highlights:
Working independently with Pippin Treasure. I did run them together just once to see where they may be in regards to backing/honoring.  The potential is there to fine tune this but there are other areas which I need to focus on. The reason for me to work my dogs in the field is two-fold.
 It's for the mere fun of spending time with them and the chance to bird hunt over them in the fall.  I suppose an added element of this is the opportunity to hone field training abilities of my own! We learn from each other. I absolutely trust her when she's on point.  It is not only Treasure's beautiful physical and natural response when encountering scent but it is the visual communication between the two of us. Once she establishes point it's my job to approach her so she can make eye contact and once that happens she remains fixed on me.  It is an amazing thing to experience as Treasure remains motionless except for her subtle but deliberate eye movement. It takes my breath away. 

Miss Pippin has also been a great dog for me to return to the field with.  She's a happy little biddable Brittany. Last fall when I was still using my walking cane to maneuver the field John was shooting birds over Pippin.  She was just starting to retrieve them!  Yesterday there were two birds planted for Pippin and we put her through her paces on them. There were a couple of handling tips John needed to remind me about for Pip that I don't need to do with Treasure. Hopefully I'll remember next time!  I decided to walk back on the parameter of the apple trees at the edge of the field for something different.  Pippin was hunting hard but of course I knew there were no more birds out.  We were close to the johnny house so I chalked it up to that when she locked up suddenly in the tall grass.  I yelled over to 'my trainer' and asked him what to do as Pippin was not moving.  He advised me and I responded and tried to move Pip along.  No way, she flipped herself back into a solid point and I thought to myself... "self, trust your dog."  This was inconvenient as anything because the apple branches were poking into me, the outgrown trees left little room for me to maneuver. But suddenly I spied the unmistakable color of a chukar burrowed down deeply and just as soon as I spotted it that bird took flight!! I was so startled and unprepared it took me a few seconds to cock my blank gun to fire it.  I quickly turned to head back to Pippin and was overjoyed to see she was standing right where I had left her. What a good girl and she knew she'd made me super happy for sure.

Just a few days ago John suggested to me that I should begin to handle Holly Beth myself. This challenged me while at the same time encouraged me. She's the daughter of Hemi and Treasure, and Pippins granddaughter. Holly Beth (Holly Wog when it comes to swimming) has been exclusively trained and handled by John.  There are no words to describe what that felt like to me other than to use the cliche'  she 'drives like a cadillac'.  I was honored to be a passenger and look forward to the rest of the ride! 

The rest of what I want to share deserves an entire blog post and it will get one. Speaking of generation to generation... this is our daughter who for a little over a year now has been honing her own skill handling her own two Brittanys, Zuko and Toph. She is seen here with John and steadying 5 month old Miss Toph (see Theres a New Bird Dog In Town) who is marking the bird which was just flushed in front of her. As always thanks so much for your interest in All Things Brittany, take care and God bless - John, Ann, and our amazing canine crew.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!