ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

J&A's Brittanys The Day Fast Approaches

These late spring days have been glorious.  Warm during the day but breezy and cool in the evening. We enjoyed having our 3 oldest granddaughters (including one boyfriend) over for a cookout by the fire the other night. Of course the dogs were a part of the get together.  Holly pretty much stayed to herself, choosing to rest in the grass and watch the goings on from afar. This is not her typical self. With each passing day it is easy to see that the development of her puppies are making her quite uncomfortable. Not much longer sweet girl.  Not much longer. John is 'her person' and they truly are inseparable. We are both well experienced with whelping a litter of puppies together though and it is all about teamwork.  Speaking of which, we are looking forward to being at our daughter's side when it is time for her Brittany, Toph, to have her puppies in a few more weeks.  We are well prepared and the conversion from grooming studio to puppy room is just about complete.  Although not elaborate in structure or designed to impress it is suitable and very functional.  It's important for momma dogs to feel they have a safe place away from it all and that is what we will offer to Holly and Toph. The

whelping boxes are down on the floor, there are latches on the gates and things continue to come together nicely. I recently purchased a couple of yards of fleece at Mardens but wasn't quite sure how I was going to use them.  I found very cool D.I.Y. instructions for a no-sew
Holly checks the pillow out

pillow and made one. It came out okay, and admittedly I rushed but I do not think the girls will mind that it's less than perfect.  I brought the pillow out and placed it in the whelping box this evening prior to going out with Holly, Pippin, and Treasure. The three of them crack me up.  The correct term for female dogs is as most know 'bitch'.  We can often expect them to live up to their name when pregnancy and puppies are involved. Even so, it's been so incredibly heartwarming to observe the interaction between these three lately.  Treasure is Holly's mother.  Pippin is her grandmother (sire side).  As experienced as they are one could almost believe they were ready to perform as midwives! Holly has been more resting more lately during the day yet she frequently changes position or gets up to walk around.  Pippin and Treasure are tuned into Holly's every move.  If Holly gets up, they watch to see where she goes.  They will either join her or go back to where she was previously laying down.  One of them always has to be laying near her.  Holly will by choice go to one of them as well.  Some pictures show a few brief glimpses of this. 

Next to momma Treasure. .
With grandma Pippin.
We'll continue to spend more time here so that when labor does begin, Holly will be use to it all. I'm thinking that the way things are going we could be looking at puppies to arrive on the first estimated day which is June 21.  We will find out this week just how many puppies Holly is going to have when we go for x-rays.  That way there will be no surprises such as we have had in the past.

Tonight I began the process of monitoring Holly's temperature.  She is at 100.1 which is a normal, average temperature.  I'm going to be looking for it to drop below 100 and remain there.  I will never discount the usefulness of monitoring a dog about to give birth.  It's reliable in the majority of cases right down to the hour. I'll only take it once a day for the next few days but as June 21 approaches I'll take it more frequently. Gosh, I cannot even believe that we're at this point already.  I'm so excited as is John.

As surely as I am trusting in the Lord concerning All Things Holly & Toph right now, I am leaning on Him about my family.  Not only for the things previously mentioned (my sister and my nephew) but for the safe travel home of our son, daughter in law, and grandson tonight from Africa.  It's over a 20 hour trip.  I'm not worried, I put my trust in the Lord and know He is faithful to watch over and protect all that concerns me. But I'll be glad when they are back home.

I'll be sending another email out.  A few of you who expressed an interest in a puppy have not returned the information we requested. Holly's litter is fully reserved and Toph's is getting that way with limited availability.  I am really enjoying getting to know the rest of you and appreciate that a majority of you already have or have had one of our Brittanys before!

Well, look at that.  It's after midnight! Years ago I always use to joke about doing my blog updates so late at night. That's what having puppies does.

Take care and God bless. I really hope you're enjoying these updates. I so enjoy sharing them.  (I do apologize for the poor formatting tonight though.  I'm too tired to clean it up right now!)  John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!