ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, August 15, 2020

The Joy of Becoming a Great-Grandmother Again!

Clearly updates about puppies and life here at ATB are frequently the subject and focus of my little blog here. Even so, the recent results of Holly's ultrasound as shared on Facebook absolutely pales in comparison with a much more significant announcement!

You may remember that a year ago we became great-grandparents for the first time when our oldest granddaughter gave birth to her beautiful daughter! In a couple of weeks, we will all be celebrating her first birthday. It is unbelievable how quickly the time has passed.  She is beautiful, smart, and brings so much joy and smiles to all of us who love her.  My granddaughter and her husband truly are loving, caring, and responsible parents. It blesses my heart to simply watch and observe the three of them together. I'm currently working on a very special birthday gift for the 'baby' soon to be toddler. 

I have shared that as surely as I can remember the joy of becoming a parent when our son was born, then our daughter's birth, and then in time the joy of holding our very first grandchild and each one that followed, to become a great grandmother has brought an even deeper awareness of God's faithfulness from one generation to the next to the next and to the next. And now the blessing continues. That is more than words. 

Just a few days ago I received a text from my (next to the oldest) granddaughter who became an auntie last year at this time.  Her text said "I'm on my way to the hospital, I love you grammy." 

She was in the early stages of labor! I asked her what hospital she was going to. It ended up we were in the same town so I inquired if she and her husband needed anything.  They were all set and promised to stay in touch with us. My promise in return was that I would keep them in my prayers and told them how much I loved them. 

From that point on over the next day and a half, John and I kept a close watch on our text messages.  I don't usually keep the sound on for my notification settings but turned them up high!  It wasn't that the momma to be was a high risk pregnancy, but she had been in a serious car crash early in her pregnancy so that was on most of our minds throughout the following months. Indeed, God was faithful to watch over and protect her and her baby for she walked away from an overturned vehicle. 

If ever anyone glowed throughout their pregnancy, this momma to be did. Because I respect their privacy there will be no pictures shown here. But for friends and family on Facebook, you surely agree already.

Throughout the night and into the next morning personal text messages kept us informed. This was so appreciated.  I had joked with my granddaughter I didn't want Facebook to tell me that my great grandson had been born! It's different being a great-grandparent. It is an entirely wonderful new season. You're sort of on the outside looking in at times simply because there is the immediate family, the grandparents, and then the greats. This is not a bad thing! If you are familiar with the first 8 verses in the Book of Eccliastes and/or the classic song "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds the wisdom experienced through the many seasons of life becomes clear. 

I am one who absolutely hates to intrude on personal space, I never want to be a pest or a nuisance.  Perhaps sometimes this is to my own detriment; perhaps there are times I am too sensitive to this.  I practiced the art of being patient when our great granddaughter was born last year and did my best to do the same this time!  John, our daughter, and I were so excited knowing this precious little BOY was on the way! 

On Wednesday morning the text arrived from the proud new dad that "HE IS HERE!" Then, God love him, he sent me two pictures of his beautiful new family! One picture that the new dad sent me was of my granddaughter holding their brand new just born baby boy close, and the second picture was of the three of them. The baby was just minutes old and although we couldn't physically be there, we were sharing in that moment with them with so much joy and love in our hearts. And yes, the tears did fall.

Soon afterwards our granddaughter sent a text and photographs too and I was just so happy and yes, relieved to hear from her! In the photos she sent me it appeared that her sweet little son was actually smiling!  The love between the three of them could easily be seen as the little family bonded together in these precious and private first moments of, indeed, the first day of the rest of their lives! And imagine our joy early the next morning when she sent a new photo of our new great grandson  captioned  "good morning'! 

I want to say too, it has been a joy to observe our son become a grandfather.  He is known as "Papa".  My daughter in law is "Nannie" and she too has obviously enjoyed this new season of being a grandmother. In retrospect, John and I were just about their age when we became grandparents for the first time.  

A baby, says Carl Sandberg, is God's opinion that the world will go on!  Congratulations to our granddaughter and her husband, and their precious, precious baby boy.  May God faithfully watch over and protect you all as He has done from generation to generation.

Take care and God bless - John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

On another note... August seems to be a very popular month for birthdays in our family, including my own.  And now, as I begin yet another year around the sun my heart is just so very full!  Yet, even in the fullness of joy in gratefulness for so many of God's blessings, I find my heart is being stretched. I have often counseled women of various ages to always be mindful not only of which season of life they are living in, but where they happen to be in that particular season. Is it beginning? Are they in the middle? Or is there one coming to an end with signs of the inevitable transition into the next.  Personally, I am on the threshold of the latter.  Dear ones who know me best, as often as I share unspoken prayer requests, I ask for you to carry me on the wings of your own prayers. Sometimes, silence is golden.




  




No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!