ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, September 6, 2020

J&As Brittanys - Holly Beth Week 8

Today I began to chart Holly's temperature.  This is something that I will do daily as we enter her final week of pregnancy. Later this week I'll be taking it at least twice a day. A dog's normal temperature ranges from 100.5 to 102.5 and I will be looking for 'the drop'. The temperature may fluctuate at first, although not always. When it does drop to 100 (or lower) and remains there that usually means labor and delivery will take place in about 24 hours and STAGE ONE begins.  During this time Holly will exhibit any number of signs such as digging, nesting, hiding and an increased desire to go outside and relieve herself.  Remember - last year I let her out to go pee, she squatted and had a puppy right there on the front lawn!   

She and I are spending a few hours each day in the puppy cave, otherwise known as 'The Treasure House'. A special sort of space named after Holly's mother Treasure who was the first to have puppies there. The whelping box is just about ready.  We will put new linoleum and carpet in. I have all of the whelping supplies ready. UPS has been busy dropping off the necessary items that needed to be replaced.  Two new tubes of Calsorb were delivered this week and next I am anticipating the Adaptil Collar. Holly's grocery shopping was done this week and we are stocked up on cottage cheese, yogurt, liver, pedialyte, puppy pads etc.  I cooked off several chicken breasts, took the meat off the bone, shredded and froze it. Next I will making my "Nursing Mother's Pudding". 

My roll away cot has been set up as either John and/or I will remain constantly at her side during labor and for a week or so following the pup's birth.  I believe that the first 8 weeks of a puppy's life is so important and have no problem with my own life going on hold. Holly is a 'daddy's girl' and that is obvious to anyone who knows her.  Just tonight we were sitting out by the firepit with the whole crew and she was invited up into his lap for snuggles. A little later however it was clear she wanted to be by herself so she, Pippin, and I spent some time away from the others relaxing.  Holly Beth received lots of gentle belly rubs and the movement of her puppies can be felt. Not much longer sweet Holly Beth, not much longer. 

That's my update for now!  We are in countdown mode. Stay tuned and as always take care, God bless and we thank you for your interest in All Things Brittany - John, Ann, and crew


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!