ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

BABY! It's COLD outside - Br-r-r-r-r

How can it be that at 4 a.m. this morning it was warm enough to wear a wool shirt and not a jacket, but this afternoon it's FREEZING, with gusts of wind and snow keeping me chilled to the bones even though I'm all bundled up?  I am thankful that there is the slightest length of daylight though lately. Good thing as John and I are becoming quite the couch potatoes just about the time Glenn Beck is on in the evening.

I'm listening to True who is having his afternoon 'time-out-nap- in the crate.  NEVER have I have heard such funny noises from any puppy before!  I was warned and I do know Gibson personally who has been known to be vocal a time or two!  True isn't howling or whining, it just sounds like he is trying to say words and yawn at the same time. It is so hilarious I have all I can do not to respond or encourage him!

Pippin is looking beautiful after a much needed bath, despite the cold.   You see, Miss Pippin discovered the pile of black ashes and soot where John had cleaned the woodstove last weekend.  At first I thought she'd had an encounter with some oil but thankfully it was not so.  Thanks to the shampoo and conditioner we use on her she cleaned up quite nicely. 

The dogs are still getting in their daily exercise but admittedly their run times are much shorter.  They take a half dozen laps around the house, enough to get their hearts pumping and stretch the muscles and then voluntarily stand in line to get back into the warmth of their house!  It's nice having the coffeemaker down there now because I can heat up some hot water for hot cocoa for me, and to mix in with their food to make it warm.  I like it because when I get down there I can take my winter coat off, hang it up and hang with whoever happens to be there.  I've also moved the grooming table back down there as the garage is not yet heated.  It's kind of neat.  Rosie and Scooby both love to jump up and lay down on it.  So I make sure that the table is used not only for grooming, but also for hugging and snuggling. If they can't all be in the house at the same time, at least I can be with whoever happens to be there. I do think Wish wins the snuggliest prize of all, but Pippin is a close second, in bed or on the couch LOL. 

True is becoming more independent as he explores more and more outside.  He has adapted to his schedule quite well, going nearly all night in his crate with barely a peep and no accidents.  We had to figure out what to do in the morning as I'm not an early riser these days and John, who is, does enjoy his coffee undisturbed.  Tried having True come in with me first thing but he's wired for sound.  Also experimented with the X-pen in the kitchen but he is happiest in that during mid day.  So, we decided simply to put him in his crate with his breakfast until I get up a little later and it's worked great. 

We have received some really nice pictures of some of his littermates.  Once I get them in the files I need them to be in I'll upload.  Everyone has emailed us and give updates. We've even been able to put some other people in touch with breeders who had pups available which I always enjoy doing because a lot of times we are also on the receiving end of referrals. 

I'm really happy that I've heard from a very good friend from my childhood.  We grew up together from the age of about 4 or 5, went to school together, and always stayed in touch up until a few years ago.  It's funny, when John and I moved to where we are now - she and her family moved to the town we had lived in!  Not too far away from each other though, and I know that to reach this stage of life and still have such a connection with someone who probably does know everything about you and still loves you anyway - is a blessing.  We may not be in each others daily life - but we are forever in each others heart.  We met when I set up a "Kool Aid" stand across the street from her house, and she let me know in no uncertain terms I was invading her territory LOL!  It feels good to be in touch again. The town I grew up was a magical, safe, and wonderful place to be as a child and we share those memories of long ago.

Well - I'm freezing, that's all there is to it. I'm going to hunker down in front of the woodstove.  It's definitately a 5 dog night - If I could get away with it that is!!  Unlikely... but maybe 2 or 3...LOL!  John and I need a king size bed, you think?  Ever lay down with your dog and find you are cemented in place all night long, and wonder why you can't move in the morning?  (Yes I tell people not to sleep with their dogs...but I do not always practice what I preach in those situations!)

Today is a special day for John and I... he's bringing home a special delivery which we have both been anticipating for a very long time...!   More on that soon.

Hope you and yours are staying warm where ever you are... and if for some reason I don't get back here in time to say it - Hope you Have a Wonderful New Years!  Take care and God Bless, John, Ann and ATB 

2 comments:

  1. Yup, I think you and John definitely need a king-size bed. Brittanys make great footwarmers, side warmers and head warmers but,they also like to hog the covers,snuggle close and sleep cross-wise in the bed. I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!