ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Beginnings...2010

Happy New Year to everyone, hope that you enjoyed yourself welcoming 2010 in.  We celebrated in a very simple manner.  Although we were invited over to our friends we stayed home much to John's chagrin. (Translated: the 'wife' didn't want to go anywhere!)  We did have a very quiet evening with a few appetizers and snacked, watched T.V. and were both fast asleep by 10:30.  John was happy to spend most of the day out on the ice with friends, helped get the ice shack up, drilled some holes, for the first day of ice fishing.  He did catch a nice brown trout but released the live fish as he was about an inch too short (or long or whatever - it wasn't the right size to keep!).  I enjoyed conversations with both our son and daughter.  She and her husband ran their 2nd 5K race down by Salibury MA.  Their time was great, we were very proud of them.  Our niece ran what I believe was her 1st 10 K and also had great time.  As for me, I chased a 9 week old run away unleashed puppy around in the snow, up hill, in heavy boots and nearly passed out... !!  And it wasn't True. (I mean it was true literally, but it wasn't True the puppy  - oh you know what I mean!!!)

No better time than the present to tell you that we have recently become the proud owners of a Jack daughter!  It was John's perogative to make this decision, and it was something we'd wanted to do for quite awhile - just was not sure when or how.  As mentioned in an earlier blog, we had the pleasure of an inquiry about Jacks stud services last fall and the rest is history.  Last Tuesday we welcomed the evidence of his success with a beautiful Brittany owned by friends of friends who have a Jack daughter.  (Confused yet?!) Well... as our camera continues to appear and disappear I am unable to show this pretty little one off quite yet.  But she is a sweetie, and True and ATB have happily welcomed her with love.  We'll share some more about our good news soon - and offer a deserving and formal introduction. John has appropriately named her "J & A's High Flyin' Girl of Acton"  and her call name will be "Piper", after the plane.  She is high flyin, independent, always hunting, and a whole lot of exuberance, a sweet girl who easily won our heart.

We've been asked a lot about Molly lately... I'm hoping to have something very positive to share in the near future! 

Rosie was happily surprised the other night when John decided he wanted to groom her himself... she loves to jump up on the grooming table so when she did, he just started to brush her.  Boy did she feel special and poured on the charm!  Course he's not one to show favoritism (much - look at the 'golden boy) Scooby also had his special time with John.  Wish had been done earlier in the day by me.  True is doing very nicely on the table.  Tonight he sat and stayed on it while the rest of the world went on around him.  Of course I had my eye on him the whole time but I was impressed.  We've also had Piper on it briefly, teaching her 'watch me' and she's okay with it for a few minutes.  I am working with Pippin a lot lately,  getting ready for a couple of shows.  Also working more with Treasure and waiting for her coat to do whatever it's going to do.  Both girls look so beautiful... but then if I say so myself, the entire crew here is striking in their own right.  Each dog has something so unique about them.  I'm especially pleased with Pippin's continual development.  In the early fall she began to dramatically mature in appearance and behavior.  This transformation continues to improve and there are many times I look at Pippin and think indeed, the depth and quaility of her beauty that is appearing before my very eyes has been worth the wait.  Things I've missed before because of being new to showing, or maybe that I took for granted, or maybe just was ignorant of. 

Speaking of these more technical things, I have read many books which are proving to be invaluable to me as I continually seek to gain knowledge.  Two older ones written by Rachel Paige Elliot and McDowell LyonI I found on Ebay.  John bought me a new bookcase to hold my ever growing library.  It is dual purpose, like the Brittany ;o).   Half of the books are strictly hunting, and the other half strictly showing.  At some point I'll put together an extensive list just for your information.  If you enjoy reading and researching and having resources available especially about the Brittany, let me know!

Wow tonight the wind is howling and the snow is coming down.  It has been snowing here nearly constantly since Thursday!  Guess it's suppose to stop tomorrow?  We must have about 9 inches at least on the snow.  The dogs have all enjoyed several good long runs during the short lived break in the storm.

Last but not least... for those who have faith and hearts to pray, I'd like to ask for prayer for a family, friends of ours who experienced a devastating loss this past week.  Their young daughter has been showing for many years, and has been a succesful breeder as well.  (She's shown her own dogs at Westminister Kennel show before, and also was invited to Eukanuba... to show a dog of her own breeding.)  Her 3 year old champion passed away , as well as 2 of her 4 puppies born that day. A few days later, she lost the other 2 puppies.  It is so sad.  She did everything she possibly could have and everything right including performing CPR on her dog on the way to the vets, but couldn't save her as she had gone into cardiac arrest. My heart aches for her whole family and I just pray God's mercy, compassion, and comfort will be a reality to them.

Thank you...
Take care and God Bless... John, Ann, and ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!