ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A SHOUT OUT for NOVA!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
CONGRATULATIONS NOVA !
Speaking of family and grandchildren we are so proud to show off the above photographs of our oldest granddaughter who, at 10 years old, shot her very first deer today.  Having been drawn for an 'any deer' permit in Maine Nova has been looking forward to heading out into the woods with her best hunting buddy - her Dad.  She's no stranger to hunting as she had two successful turkey hunting seasons behind her as well.  Falling closely in the footsteps of her dad, she brings the American hunting tradition to the next generation of 'Shorts'.   Her dad shot his first deer at age 12, and her Grampa at age 15 so she's a real record breaker!  

My phone call was so unexpected this morning, and of course I could not find the phone when John Jr. was leaving a very hushed message straight from the woods.  I quickly called back and spoke to the young huntress herself who was ecstatic with her heart pounding out of chest!  Breathlessly she described how it all went and how her shot was a good clean shot in such a way as this grandmother could almost picture it as it occurred.  I told her I wanted her to remember this day and how she was feeling for the rest of her life, it was a very special day for so many reasons.  With a healthy respect for hunting and conservation, our oldest granddaughter, Nova, has learned hunter safety and hunting skill from her dad, who learned it from his dad, who learned it from his dad... and so it goes on.  

Following our conversation I tried to reach grampa on the phone but he was unavailable. Oh that he could have been here for the good news!  In a little while our son called back and asked what I was doing.  I said well, I'm hanging out in my PJs and getting a little work done, why?  Well - he wanted to stop after they tagged the deer.  I could hardly wait to see them pull up in the driveway and quickly made sure my camera batteries were charged and waited. (And I carefully crated the ATB crew in the house!)  

As the truck pulled in the driveway I came down the front steps waving like a happy and silly gramie is supposed to do and  quickly hugged my very grown up granddaughter.  I could have squeezed her to pieces as I'd not seen her in a few months !  She looked beautiful in her camoflauge and hunters orange, just beaming and proud.  Her little brother came along for the ride with dad and he was very happy about his sister too.  We took lots of pictures and I put a few of my personal favorites in the SmileBox. 

Her Dad's hunting advice was "when you see the deer put the bead right on her neck' and so with her 20guage loaded with buckshot that's exactly what she did as she aimed and fired with the deer falling gracefully.  She commented too that shooting this deer would help put food on the table this winter. 

One thing I do really hope John and I can do before bird hunting season ends is introduce her to hunting over a Brittany dog.  I have a feeling she'd enjoy the experience, I know I would.
So I'm going to consider this post as a SHOUT OUT to Nova! 
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are beautiful and we are so proud of you!

We love all of our grandchildren and each one brings something totally unique and prescious into our lives.  We try very hard to let each of them know how very much we love them and what they mean to us. From the oldest (Nova) to our youngest (Ayden) each one is loved more than they will ever know. But sometimes, it's very very important to let one child have their MOMENT IN TIME, a moment to shine!  There will never be another 'first deer shot' moment in time.  I don't know if you'll ever read this Nova but I don't think I've ever seen you look as beautiful as when you sat down for me to take the pictures of you, dad, Solomon and the deer.  You are a true gift from God, a blessing to everyone, an independent and lovely spiritual young girl who understands deep things, compassionate warm and caring.  THESE are the things in this grandmothers' eyes when she looks at you.  I'm so glad to have the opportunity to use my blog as a SHOUT OUT just for you today!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo  Love you, Gramie and Grampa

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!