ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

ATB: Where Is Hemi's Halo?

 J & A's Magnificent Obsession of Acton "Hemi" - 4 months Old
Sire: GCH Tonan - Hope's RU Kiddin' Me "Chevy"
Dam: J & A's Heartfelt Legend of Acton "Pippin"

I've looked everywhere.  I can't find it and I swear it was just there yesterday - or was it.  Come to think of it, when WAS the last time I saw it?  Oh yeah, I remember now.  I was standing in front of Hemi, clicker in one hand and string cheese in the other.  He was trying to read my mind to discover what behavior it would take to earn a click and a treat.  He lay down on the floor in full submission and quite happily I might add.  Hemi has THE cutest little 'freckle face strawberry' face I have ever seen in my life.  But recently I've noticed a lot of changes in the beholder of the freckly face. It started when his halo slipped off to the side a little bit and I gently readjusted it.  At about that time I noticed there was a teeny tiny nick in it, as well as a slight tarnished spot.  Thinking back I had to wonder what may have caused such changes to his pure gold halo, a halo to indicate that he was a perfect little angel.  Could it have occurred about the time Hemi sat in front of me defiantly and began to exercise his right to free speech?  Or perhaps it was the very first time he acted as if he were hard of hearing as he continued to run further away from me as I called him to 'Come, Hemi!'   That would also have been during that timeframe when he learned to jump up onto John's chair and stretched himself out so that he could reach the afternoon mail. Fortunately I managed to disengage the letter from Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife from his mouth, replacing it with what else - treats!  I had been looking high and low for that halo lately to no avail and dreading to have to confess I just did not know where it was - that was up until last night. Hemi and I participated in our first handling class together and boy - his halo was shining brightly and caught the attention of our fellow 'classmates'.  He was indeed as good as gold, shining brightly and with pride in himself because Hemi knew I was well pleased with him.  This afternoon however the halo may have been lost once and for all.  We were enjoying some birdwork in the field with his friend Benny.  Benny's obedience training is showing while Hemi's is not, and neither is his halo. Suffice to say very little off leash work and training (if any) is in Hemi's future.  We have here a very birdy, independent, turned on little Brittany pup who lost his tarnished halo when it feel off as he ran away in the direction the bird flew way across the field!  In all seriousness though - that is NOT a problem at his age of 4 months old but it does mean a check cord will be dragging behind him from this point on! 

As the quote from Mike Gaddis says "The desire in an exceptional pup is like a rare young wine, kegged from a proven vineyard. Nurture it slowly to perfection and it will pleasure the years. Tap it prematurely, and you will squander it’s bouquet in infancy”. Timing is everything.  That's okay Hemi.  I know your mother. I totally understand what you are about and you are more than I could have ever hoped for.  You were worth the wait, and you will BE worth the wait. For now - enjoy the fun of being a puppy, halo or not.

Take care and God Bless and as always thanks for your interest in All Things Brittany!  John, Ann, and our canine crew who are counting the days until the first day of bird hunting season - and thrilled that the woodcock hunting has been extended this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!