ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Treasure's Pregnancy: DAY 51

DAY 53, Friday March 30th Update: I have felt the puppies move!!!!


Oh sweet and precious little "Treasure."  You lie on the floor, just a few feet away from where I sit writing, so obviously unable to find a position that is comfortable for more than just a little while.  Your meals are much smaller now and frequent throughout the day because the puppies you carry are crowding your abdomen.  Liver, yogurt, cottage cheese, salmon oil mixed in with your food and lots of water to quench your thirst.  Soon I'll make you a large batch of  "Nursing Mother's Pudding".  You are beginning to show signs of being restless in several ways.  When you sit perched upon the arm of the couch looking out the window the robins on the ground catch your attention and suddenly your entire body springs into a state of alertness! Your most primal and natural instincts surface within seconds while paying no attention to your obvious physical condition. I do try to discourage you from getting up on the couch or the bed only because I am concerned with the discomfort of jumping off from them.  I'm not very successful in these attempts.  I know the pressure on your bladder must be great because you ask to go outside more often than ever. And you come right back in. I know I can expect to see you begin to wander more when you are outside though in the coming days, so I'll look forward to being with you outdoors with a nice long loose lead.  The other day I lowered the adjustable grooming table to make it easier for you to simply step up onto the chair and then onto the table.  I saw that look of appreciation.  You were so good about just lying there while I gently brushed you. Those fuzzy wingus thingies of wisps of hair that grow on your abdomen during heat cycles and pregnancy cause you to look a little disheveled.  I was glad to spend the time with you removing them.  Once they were gone, your coat looked as beautiful as it always does. Then it was easier to see how very much you have 'popped'!  Your ears look very pretty too now that I have trimmed the hair on them even with the ear 'leather'. Treasure, I know you didn't really like all that plucking hair out of your ears stuff when I was doing it but you seemed happy afterwards!  Your nails don't grow like crazy and they are just right.  The hair around your nipples on your lower abdomen is now shedding and pretty soon you will be hairless in that area.  Next week I'll trim the longer hair from all your nipples to make it easier for your puppies to nurse.  I will enjoy giving you a sponge bath of your belly and your private little parts in a few days. No getting in or out of the bathtub at this point in time.  You were pretty relaxed while I reached around and gently trimmed down and around your tail. I realize in a couple of weeks I will be in the immediate background but for the time being, you are stuck to me like glue and I don't mind a bit.  It's been very nice to spend time with you in the puppy room but you are a bit  of a bed hog when it comes to the cot which is out there.  I will confess, I pretended to be asleep yesterday when you went in and rooted around in the whelping box.  It was neat to see you rearrange your bedspread to get it tucked up under you in just the way you want it.  Eventually the bedspread will be replaced with layers and layers of unprinted newspaper (ends) so you'll be able to go in and have a real free for all shredding and ripping paper to your hearts content.  I understand that this is necessary and actually a part of the early labor process.  We've been through this together before Treasure, and I've been through it with your mother.  I've felt especially blessed to be part of something so amazing and beautiful - especially when it comes to the maternal instinct which you both possess.  I've been the attending 'midwife' at many whelpings over the years.  I learned about 'the birds and the bees' at a young age, courtesy of my parents who bred Boston Terriers.  But each time is different, and not all girls are the same.  Yet you and your mother Wish - have always had very strong and raw natural instincts in many areas especially in regards to whelping and raising a litter of pups.  Even so my lovely Treasure, I'll not be lulled into a false sense of security and everything will be in place. I think there's only a couple of things to replenish including a bottle of Pedialyte and cotton balls.  We will be ready for you when your time to bring forth new little lives into the world draws near.  John and I will have your care and comfort during the process as our priority, separate and away from the daily life of a multiple dog family.  Music and soft lights (really) will surround us all - soon and very soon.  I'm counting since the date of your first get together with the ever handsome Bullet man - and based on that - we are at Day 51. And we'll take your first temperature reading tomorrow.  I know you hate that - but I need to know what your daily base temperature is.  So much of this is quite invasive for you but I know you trust me Treasure. I did try the digital approach but there is a lot to be said about using an actual animal thermometer, which takes a lot of the guess work away. I'm certain that the circumstances and environment that surrounds the next week matters immensely not only to your actual whelping, but also to the well being of your pups as they arrive. Ideally, we will keep things as calm as we can for you.  I am reflecting tonight, looking ahead, and imagining how beautiful the puppies that you and Bullet have will be.  I'm very pleased with those families so far who have expressed their desire to bring one of your pups into their life, families who respect and support our program here that we look forward to getting to know more and more. Having said all of this - I am above all else hoping and praying for a very uneventful delivery which leaves you and your beautiful puppies to in absolutely perfect health. One day at a time from this point on.  And I just can't wait to welcome your sweet little puppies into the world!

As always thank you for your interest in ATB, take care and God bless you and yours!  John and Ann, Treasure and the rest of our beautiful Brittany family! (We are still accepting serious inquiries regarding availability of pups from Treasure and Bullet giving preference to hunting families with prior Brittany experience.)

2 comments:

  1. Your heart sings the most beautiful melodies through your words about dear Treasure and her pups. The unspoken connection between the two of you is such a beautiful thing to see. You are such a wonderful "mom" to her:)
    Love, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful description Monica, you have so aptly put words to feelings which are felt strongly in this heart of mine. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!