ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

ATB: It's Beginning To Sink In

It happened as John and I were leaving the field this morning. We were in the truck together, driving down the side field at the edge of the woods, heading towards one of the two johnny houses where our birds are safely kept.  John wanted to be sure the Chukar Partridge and the Bob White Quail had an adequate supply of food and water. He also needed to do his 'head count', quickly adding the number of birds from both houses together to determine how many were still out and about from the training.  Unfortunately, there was a minor casualty this morning which does happen occassionally.  We did turn it into a positive though by working in an unplanned retrieving session! 

I turned the radio on and turned the volume up. I'd just commented on how the grass in the field almost looked as if we'd had a frost. We haven't but everything looks sort of gold.  And there it was. That song. John and I turned to look at each other as the lovely yet haunting melody and words filled the cab of the truck at the same time my own eyes (and probably his) were filling with undetected tears. "You'll remember me... when we walked in fields of gold... I never made promises lightly... there have been some that I've broken, but I swear to you in days still left, we'll walk in fields of gold....Many years have passed since those summer days... see the children run as the sun goes down as you lie in fields of gold..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGwDYBWEDSc And then a beautiful monarch butterfly flittered along next to the truck as we listened to that song, so gracefully rising and falling on the slightest breeze there.  My thoughts turned to my marshmallow boy, my Scooby doodle who (like the other dogs there) not only had a great run, found  birds, pointed and held nicely, but he'd also retrieved to John's hand. So I remembered 'him', Scooby's father Timber as I always do when I look into Scooby's eyes (and into the eyes of his son, Benny.) And it was good.

It is only by looking back that you can see how far you have traveled in any particular journey. And it is only by looking ahead that you can see how very far you have yet to go.  But there comes a time when the most important thing you can do is revel in the moment you are in. 

To understand this deep sense of achievement, of knowing you have indeed reached a personal goal means that the plan God has purposed for your life really, really, really is unfolding.  And He does find ways to clearly communicate to those who have ears to hear His still, small voice. Please don't get me wrong.  I am in no way elevating these recent accomplishments to the point where my identity and sense of worth is wrapped up in the achievements of our Brittany dogs. But in as much as I proclaim that I am a Christian,  and as much as I hope my thoughts and actions will always reflect that, too often I fail. Seriously. Saying these things is not to beat myself up while demonstrating a false sense of humility. I think most people are aware of their own faults. I certainly could name several that bug me about myself! I just try to deal with the reality of my weakness, imperfections, faults etc. by remembering that somehow, God's strength is perfected through them!
 
Tomorrow, our beautiful Pippin will return home. And I am going to be just as happy to see her as she is going to be to see me.  I know what Pippin is going to do.  She'll jump and bark and woof and spin and go crazy and probably try to take hold of my hand or my shirt or anything she can grasp with her mouth. Pippin will not be able to contain her joy.  And I know what I'm going to do too.  I'm going to cry and laugh and reach for her and she'll jump up into my arms and we will be reunited.  I can't wait. I really can't wait.
 
I've been blessed by the many notes, emails, messages that have come our way regarding our Miss Pippin being a brand new show champion.  The fact of the matter is, Pippin is "OUR" first champion, and the second from our program here just 12 weeks after her half brother Bullet finished.  The words and kudos of congratulation have come to us in many forms.  So many have been part of Pippins journey and helped along the way on many levels. I am especially grateful to Pippin's new best friend, her handler Joyce for doing the 'finish work'.  Before we officially roll out the red carpet to the Pippinator and open a bottle of champagne on her behalf I wanted to share two particular notes:
 
" am aware that you and John need to participate in these....call them 'credentialing events' . . . to prove your worth as breeders - to the serious Brittany buyer/competitor. The hunters probably don't care so much....I think you have 'arrived' in the Brittany world, Ann. You have proven winners, AKC champs. You are worth your salt. You know what you're doing. It's really wonderful Anyway, I think it's pretty wonderful how you've managed to get back on track with the kind of Brittany that feels right to you... "
 
AND another...
 
" hope this is an indication that you have accomplished a dream and will return to the almost sane practice of breeding the best hunting dogs possible. Congratulations!"

And this too...

"And I believe ... in God's plan, in your mission, in your dogs and in yours and John's abilities to keep your program moving forward. I believe the future is bright for J & A's Brittanys, especially as your reputation spreads for reliable, close-working hunting dogs with show potential... like it or not, you are a CONTENDER!"
 
 
Thank you...  the dream will go on, goals will be reached.  Successes celebrated.  And always, all for the love of the dog, both given and received!  God is in this.  We are really just along for the ride, and what a ride it has been so far, for sure!!  Take care and God bless you... John, Ann, and ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!