ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

ATB Bird Dogs: Hemi's 1st Bird - Rite of Passage?

 

Hemi's very first real bird hunting experience resulted with this, his first pheasant.  A hen that he pointed in the Maine woods for John, held steady until John came in to flush it and then shot. (Soon afterwards Hemi also busted out a rooster in some high swale grass which I am glad to hear Sam and John did not shoot at.  Later in the day, Paris and Hemi hunting with each other, then pointed a hen together, but John and Sam both shot and both missed.)  I think Hemi crossed an important threshold today. It may sound funny but I can almost 'see' a change in the way he carries himself since returning home. I know he's tired of course but that's not what I mean..  As soon as the truck drove for Hemi to get out and he ran as fast as he could where I was waiting on the front porch for him. His eyes were glistening and they were fixed on mine as he slowly approached.  Suddenly he  gently stood up on his hind legs, looked at my outstretched arms with palms up, and placed his front feet in my awaiting hands.  In the briefest of moments we looked deeply into each others eyes. I quietly  told my puppy he was such a good boy, that I was so proud of him for bringing home his first bird.  Hemi listened so intently in that fraction of a second, I could feel the love between us.  He turned to see that John was now carrying HIS bird from the truck and ran off to check things out.  I watched as John let the others out of the truck who had gone hunting. Of course they were aware John was carrying a bird, and I believe they knew it was Hemi's. But, I have to wonder, did those other dogs also know it was Hemi's FIRST bird?  I do know Hemi's reaction clearly indicated to me that he was aware there was great significance surrounding HIS bird.  Hemi pranced around as HIS bird was carried to the back porch, his head held proudly and his tail set on high as he walked alongside of John. The others surrounded these two.  I was fascinated.  Perhaps there was some unspoken ritual occurring right before my eyes among the pack, perhaps a rite of passage.  I will forever remember this day when my little britches, my Hemikins, entered a new stage of life, experienced a ssignificant change. Today Hemi crossed a threshold of experience and became in every sense of the word - a BIRD DOG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!