ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

ATB: 1 Week Old Brittany Puppies

 

How quickly are the next 7 weeks going to pass?  How can it be that the beautiful Brittany pups of True and Piper are now 1 week old already? It seemed as if the 9 weeks of pregnancy waiting for their arrival passed so slowly. During the days leading up to their actual birth time just about stood still.  I have just spent a good part of Friday evening into Saturday morning simply observing, watching, enjoying Piper and her 6 puppies: Breezie, Stormie, Tempest, Gusty, Windy, and Snowball. 

The tiniest muscles in little legs are learning how to work to propel a roly-poly body across the carpeted floor of the whelping box.  Heads, noses, and muzzles lead the way, gently swinging back and forth from side to side making a motion that can only remind one of the way a mole finds it's way in the darkness.  At first these movements were almost amphibian like in nature but not anymore.  Now, they become deliberate, purposeful and often portraying a sense of grace.  The puppies approach each other. I have to wonder is it by accident that they bump into one another or, are they sensing the whereabouts of their litter mates nearby?

I am certain they use their sense of smell to identify their mother, Piper. They also use their sense of touch as they navigate the parameters of her entire body. Piper often sits and just watches her puppies.  If she wants a particular puppy to be near her she'll reach her leg and paw out to where she can poke her baby. If puppy ignores mother's very obvious message to draw near to her Piper will use her paw to bring pup right in close to her. Sometimes, her paw lingers on her pup long enough to make sure the message was understood.

The first week of neo-natal life for our Brittany puppies is very busy not only for them, but for their dam as well.  Daily weigh ins to be sure pups are getting enough to eat and gaining sufficiently are very important to us. I begin within a day or two with very specific stimulation 'exercises' although they don't seem like exercises or work at all. They are actually very enjoyable. Monitoring Pipers nutrition, amount of exercise, and elimination needs can be challenging during this time.  She's been very hard to please as far as food goes. Piper refused her puppy food for quite awhile. She hated liver and threw it up; that's usually a staple around here! So we have been boiling chicken and picking the meat off the bones, keeping a fresh supply of whole grain brown rice at the ready, and making batches of nursing mother's pudding.  She gets yogurt and salmon oil too. As if that wasn't enough, we (I!) made the mistake of feeding her food out of my hand because it was the only way I could coax her to eat anything. A week later, she is only just beginning to eat her food out of her dog bowl.  Live and learn!

Today I clipped every teeny tiny toenail on every teeny tiny foot. I hate seeing a nursing dogs belly all scratched up from the toenails of their puppies as they root and nurse. Nail clipping is something that needs to be done at least once a week on puppies and adults so starting young assures that the 'quick' will not overtake the toenail. Once that happens nail cutting becomes a difficult and near impossible chore. I've found that the nails of different dogs grow at different rates. As for the tool to use for cutting a very young pups toenails, we rely on the same 'scissors' recommended for trimming a cats nails.

Thursday afternoon I made a point of holding each little puppy gently in the palm of my hands.  Each one fit so perfectly and curled up in a small ball, seeming to enjoy the security and warmth of my hands.  As I looked upon this precious little being in such a position of innocence and of need the vision before me tugged powerfully at my heartstrings.  I was reminded of a beautiful worship song that includes a verse: "He will raise you up on eagles wings, bear you on the breath of dawn, and make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of His hands." (It is worth mentioning that this particular song brought me great comfort when Timberdoodle passed.)    Piper and Trues 5 day old puppy was safe, warm, and secure as she was curled up in my own hands.  I was sensitive to her movement and could easily adjust the hold I had on her life.  I would shield her from danger, drawing her close to me within a split second to protect her.  I thought of how God really does want nothing more but to love and protect each one of us. I realized anew that the safest place for anyone to be is in the palm of God's hands. In a few more days the puppies will outgrow my hand of course, but I think I'll always remember that very special image and how I was reminded once more about God's love. I hope it speaks to your heart as well in a similar way!

As always thank you so much for your interest in All Things Brittany. We appreciate knowing that you are 'there'. Take care and God bless you and yours - John, Ann, Piper, Puppies and our awesome canine crew of Brittanys

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!