ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

ATB: Goodbye Neo-natal, Hello Transitional !

If I could, I would set our life here to music! Each day and every happening which we experience would have a particular sound track. The song going through my head today is by Roberta Flack, “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.” I know our daughter thinks I am weird when I equate a specific love song to one of our Brittany crew! But it is something that I do very often especially in regards to puppies and the depth of love and responsibility I feel towards them. And I am confident that those who are waiting for a puppy understand the depth of emotion I try so hard to express.

Writing about this amazing journey is something I enjoy doing. Although I've shared in a similar way before, each time is truly a new beginning and can be expressed in a unique new way. Sometimes I simply sit alongside of the whelping box on the floor, poised with writing tablet and pen in hand while trying to write what it is I am observing. Other times I come in and sit at the computer just waiting for the words to flow based on my time with the puppies. 

I can't believe we're getting ready to leave the neo-natal period behind already. Tomorrow the pups will be 13 days old with Saturday marking their second week of life.  They have been kept safe and warm, dry, well nourished, clean, and healthy through the team efforts of John, Piper, and I.   Very gently and lovingly they are handled, held, and touched several times a day. John continues to be primary care giver to Piper. He’s always so good to our dogs but I can really see how much Piper means to him.

The ambient room temperature is kept extra high in the area of the whelping box for the first week and believe this helps ward off any potential although unlikely disease. If not for the middle of winter this heat would be very uncomfortable for us and for Piper! But it is perfect especially for the puppies who remain nestled away from the hustle bustle of everyday life. There will be time enough for that, just not right now. This heat has been supplemented by the overhead infra red heat lamp that is safely secured above their whelping box. We monitor the temperature where the pups are carefully. If you’ve ever raised a flock of chickens before you understand the movement and position of the neo natal pups is directly related to the distance of the heat lamp hovering above them. Too close to them, they spread out to the far corners of the whelping box. Too far away, they form a large puppy pile underneath the lamp to keep warm. When it’s just right, they move about comfortably within the range of the heat source above. It’s basically a brooder lamp.

Over the past 48 hours the eyes of several puppies have started to open and I expect to see all of their eyes by Saturday. The little eyelids which have been sealed tight are opening and today I saw little eyes peeking back at me. They really can’t see at this point in time other than the new awareness of the light which is in their brave new world. The pups are just beginning to react to my touch for the first time. At two weeks of age their whole world revolves around Piper but they are curious about my interaction and handling.  They're beginning to react a little bit to my touch, a bit of nuzzling towards the palm of my hand, something I love! Again I just have to say that their markings are so beautiful, each one has such a perfect blaze and mask. They have clear white and orange patterns. Their little ears now have hair and no longer look like little tags of rubber.

When the pups were two days old I began to hold them briefly and do specific little stimulation exercises with them reflective of the Bio-sensor/smart puppy methods. Now when I cradle them in the crook of my arm, on their back and there is little to no resistance. This may change in the weeks ahead because this is a submissive posture for a dog to be in. However, it is indicative of how respectful they will be of human handling, touch, control in the future. By the time our 7 week Puppy Aptitude Testing and evaluations are done there are few surprises in their behavior or reaction to human touch!

I love to fall in love with Brittany puppies and do take our responsibility to them very seriously. I love them before they are born, even before the breeding occurs actually. But I FALL in love with them as I get to know them. Each interaction with Gusty, Tempest, Stormie, Breezie, Snowball, and Windy endears them to me more than the time before. There is a defining moment between each puppy and me when we totally connect with each other. I call this the beginning of the love affair. I am in love with them long before they fall in love with me. (I sure hope there are no readers who will go theological on me here; rest assured I am aware of the difference with AGAPE love, human love, and love for animals!!)

As time goes on and the pups get older there is much more work involved. Piper will begin to depend upon John and I more for the care of her brood. She will initiate weaning and reach a point where it is us to us to keep the next clean. Our work will increase and our energy levels become depleted. As Dr. Chapin says though we bring it on ourselves! He is right. We have no reason to complain, no right to complain. And I’m not one to be found complaining about older puppies or saying I can’t wait for them to leave. If anything, I would wish for time to stand still.

For now, this blissful near reverent 'neo-natal' time is winding down. But it’s ending will usher in even more miraculous and obviously wonderful new aspects to this art which call breeding responsibly. There will be new joys and discoveries, exciting interactions between the puppies, John and me. (Speaking of interactions two of our grandchildren were here the other day and enjoyed holding the pups very, very briefly. Brittanys and kids just go together.)

This precious “Nemo litter” is literally coming out of the darkness and into the marvelous light of the world around them. A world where the foundation for their entire life is already laid, where their future will be lovingly shaped through our knowledge of their inherent natural instincts and behaviors with which they were born with. It’s a tall order. But one we’re committed to all for the love of the dog both given and received and I don’t mean maybe! As always thank you for your interest, support, words of encouragement and also for your prayers. I thank God upon every rememberance of you.  Take care and God bless, John, Ann and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!