ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, November 18, 2013

ATB: Treasure 5 WEEKS (Day 35)

Treasure - Summer 2013 (Training for Hunt Tests)
 
Just sitting here  at the table with "THE" second most important book in my life opened.  I'm enjoying a brief reflection back upon the whelping journal notes.  The binding is broken and torn so I took heavy, wide cellophane tape out and cut a couple of pieces to fit the binding. How can it be this book is three quarters completely filled in already?  It is so well used, so often turned to, and it shows evidence of wear. (This description also fits my Bible.)

 Informal chicken scratch in margins and random notations are sprinkled throughout pages and pages in this lab book, turned whelping journal.  The pages in the back have lists of hypothetical puppies, pairings which have occurred and those that exist only in my mind.

I turn to where the maroon ribbon book mark is.   It's  a half a page making notations about some unusual, unsettled behavior in several of the dogs during the most recent full moon. I try to write everything and anything that have something to do with our crew in one way or another in this book. Otherwise I end up with slips of paper here there and everywhere. Not naming any names but 'he' uses the back of envelopes, napkins, and an occasional piece from a tab of paper.  Everyone has their own system.

Turning to a fresh,new page there's a line at the top of each page to title it so this one is "Hemi/Treasure con't."  And todays' date.  In the margin I write the two measurements taken today of her body and also include a summary of the past 5 weeks. Wait, did I just say 5 weeks? By golly yes I did, how about THAT!  I'm thinkin' you know, yes we have a pregnancy here. But I'm also thinkin' you know, I've been wrong before.  Need to turn back to previous litters. (Did I mention how worn this book is?) As I read previous notes written in past years it is amazing to discover that what is there about Treasure is almost identical to what I have written as of late.

Okay so there is one more thing to add to morning sickness, widening of rib cage, picky appetite and the like.  The other night she went under the four poster bed and started digging around, stretching out. Treasure lay there for a few moments. Not long at all. But the fact that she did this warrants a special entry in the whelping journal.

Nutrition plays a critical and crucial part in the development of healthy, thriving puppies in utero, neo-natal, and beyond. Opinions are strong regarding which dog food to feed. But we're going to stand true to our commitment to feed Purina.  At about 3-4 weeks we began to add Purina Puppy Chow by replacing 1/2 cup per feeding of her Purina Pro Plan Select. She is fed 1 cup in the morning, and 1 cup in the evening. The food is measured not guessed at.  We add some extra protein such as boiled chicken and liver, as well as the juices they are cooked in.  She has not been 'cleaning her plate' so we may also cook something additional to feed to her if needed.  The rate of growth for puppies is the greatest during the final 10 - 14 days prior to whelping and they push against  momma's internal organs making it difficult for her to feel comfortable eating her regular amount of food.  Consequently, as we approach that time frame Treasure will still be getting the SAME amount of food but it will be given to her in much smaller measurements throughout the day - sometimes as frequently as 4 - 5 times.  In my opinion it's a mistake to increase food intake prior to whelping however as soon as pups arrive we increase the amount of food drastically, upwards to 8 cups of food a day or very often  even more.  We supplement a lot at that time with extra calcium and protein because momma is not only eating for herself, but for her new family. Her nutritional needs and that of her pups is very, very great.

This morning I had Treasure on the grooming table briefly. Her coat gets very thick, wavy and fuzzy in the winter, and especially when she is pregnant. I trimmed her ears, her tail, and the liver colored hair fuzzies around her tummy. She's such a pretty girl and her grooming is pretty straightforward.  She doesn't like to stand for very long on the table now and I can do what I need to do with her laying down on it as long as I give in to her 'requests' for a belly rub. Treasure, as well as Miss Pippin (Hemi's mother) are both very clear when they expect belly rubs.  I'd suspect the pups to possess this endearing trait.

In reality I know there are so many things to do in the coming weeks.  A bit of a rabbit trail which meanders off topic just a hare. Thanksgiving dinner will be held here and apparently we'll be having two of them. One for our son and his family and a special guest. The other for our daughter and her family. These big meals are totally John's deal just as they were also his own father's completely.  I have discovered that sincere offers to lend a hand are not the best way to help. Instead and apparently the art of reading his mind is the preferred method of assistance. John is a very good cook regarding authentic Downeast Maine cooking. The man has a plan beginning with doing all the grocery shopping right down to putting away that last piece of pie.  Speaking of pies, in the past I have been known to bake, entirely from scratch, upwards of 13 pies.  In the past few years however we have had so many desserts left over that will not be the case this time around.  I'd like to skip over the huge dinner myself.  I have always suggested we go out or even accept an invitation elsewhere. That's not going to happen.  Tradition is important here and we have the fine example of family dinners with his wonderful parents back in the day when there would be 26-30 family members at that dining room table. Work schedules have done a number on tradition however in recent years but I will remain thankful for what remains. In the meantime...

As Christmas approaches my attention and thoughts will be exclusively focused upon Treasure.  No dog shows despite several very significant ones that are coming up.  I prefer to stay away from those venues most of the time when we are expecting pups or when they are on the ground. I'm a true homebody and enjoy remaining right here as Christmas approaches anyway. I do enjoy the opportunity to get out and do some shopping but I hate the pressure and rushing about that it requires. For me Jesus is the Reason for the Season.

5 weeks away. We are more than halfway there. If you have your book "Monks of New Skete - Art of Raising a Puppy" you can read ahead and become familiar with what lies ahead for Treasure and for her anticipated pups.  I think I have loaned my two copies out which means I may need to get another one. It's fun to compare the different stages of waiting and development.

I'm excited for puppies! 

Take care and God bless, thanks for your interest in All Things Brittany - John, Ann, and our canine crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!