ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Friday, November 8, 2013

ATB: Patience grasshopper, patience!!

Patience grasshopper, patience !!!
 
The phrase 'patience grasshopper' originates from a television program that was popular in the mid 70s' called " Kung Fu."  David Carradine had the starring role and often used the phrase when speaking to his students who were studying under him. Patience is suppose to be a virtue. Walking in patience means that you have the ability to calmly enjoy waiting without complaining. Patience also means that you understand some things take time. Patience in itself takes time to develop. It is a process.  Not everyone has patience. Walking in patience is to walk hand in hand with faith, hope, and love. We shared the news rather early on about Hemi and Treasure's much anticipated puppies, the hypothetical litter was given the nickname "ALL THINGS HOPED FOR." I will remain patient while remaining hopeful.  And patience is a fruit of the Spirit, accompanied by love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control.
 
I hope for a beautiful healthy litter of Brittany puppies to arrive without issue in mid-December, before Christmas.  I hope for Treasure to have an uneventful delivery without any complications. And I will be patient for there is joy in the waiting and in the preparation. I love each and every member of our canine family including every pup that I have ever been responsible to bring into the world. They are all amazing and I think they are all my heart dogs in one way or another. Miss Treasure is undoubtedly and  especially close to me.
 
A breeder friend of mine said that she loved to have puppies arrive in the winter. Over the years we have had several well planned litters arrive during the winter months. I understand why my friend feels that way.  For me there is something very special, almost reverent about being tucked away in our 'puppy cave' waiting patiently for pups to arrive, playing instrumental music to keep laboring mother and anxious breeders calm. The lights kept low with only the soft lighting of the necessary heat lamp illuminating the private environment of the whelping box.  We have experienced the reality of pups being born in a blizzard, with the winds howling and the snow blowing fiercely just outside while we remain safe, dry, and warm with the new 'family'.  I recall walking across the recently plowed driveway and thinking winter will be past and spring well underway when the pups go to their new home.  The 9 weeks or 63 days of waiting patiently for pups to arrive pass ever so slowly.  The 8 weeks following pass by in the blink of an eye and there never seems to be enough time. 
 
I have to be patient to declare without a doubt I am certain that Treasure is pregnant.  But I have declared that I really believe she is. I was reading over my whelping notes of Treasure's first litter in 2009.  I felt I was being over confident in my notes when I said it had only been a little over a week but I was beginning to see signs that she was pregnant.  And pregnant she was indeed - with 11 beautiful puppies! Patience grasshopper, patience.
 
We are not quite 4 weeks along. The past few days Treasure has gone 'off' her food.  The first time I noticed it was when she didn't eat her breakfast at all, showing no interest.  Later in the evening I added a little yogurt to her food and she did eat all of the yogurt but still left some of her food.  The next day I mixed in some chicken. She picked the chicken out.  For her dinner I put her dish down and she totally ignored it.  Before I went to bed I handfed her some boiled chicken.  The next morning I just mixed the broth and chicken into her food, topping it with the yogurt.  Treasure nibbled away at it but still left some.  And that is how it has been. Patience grasshopper, patience.
 
Treasure can literally run circles of the rest of the crew when they are out for a run. They try to keep up with her but can't.  I have clocked her time of running the outdoor perimeter of our house, front yard, around the garage and the back of the house and returning to where she started as 7 seconds. This girl flies!  Today I thought I noticed the slightest of hesitations in this frequent daily occurrence.  Still graceful, still fast but her movement seemed to be  more of a subtle loping than her typical full speed ahead no holds barred.  I noticed too that Hemi was able to run with her, side by side.  Patience grasshopper, patience.
 
I've noticed some physical changes in Treasure as well but they are changes such as also occur following estrus. I won't dismiss them but those changes in themselves would not cause my hopes to remain high in confirming a pregnancy.
 
We continue to review our waiting list while looking over the questionnaires submitted by  those who wish to be considered as serious inquiries for not only this litter, but for the future. We are still accepting  your inquiries.   It is so important to us to have the best fit possible for each puppy and potential new owner. And we look forward to sharing this journey with all of our ATB family - past, present, and future.  I especially covet your prayers for Treasure, your support,  encouragement and friendship towards us at this time. Take care and God bless you always - John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!