ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

ATB: Happiness Is a Well Worn Book


I have my father's red and well worn whelping diary which he wrote in the 60's.  To a non-breeder the chicken scratch on each line of each page would make little sense. To me, it is a walk down memory lane as I read about the birth of my Lily Belle, the puppies of Snooky and Rosie, the surgery of Little Frankie, the emergency trips to the Portsmouth Animal Hospital and more.  It also reminds me of the times another dog was brought to our home and dad would tell me to go upstairs and stay in my room.  But I was just a kid and so I'd open the door of my bedroom door and quietly come down to the first landing on the staircase, out of everyone's sight but I could see something going on with two dogs that I didn't quite understand. Hence my early introduction to the birds and the bees at a very young age!  That memory became relevant to me again about 10 years ago. We were babysitting our oldest granddaughter but it was also the day one of our Brittanys was in full standing heat and we had an appointment to bring her to New Hampshire for a date.  We arrived at the breeders house and of course our granddaughter was happy to see the beautiful Brittanys there but when it came time to focus on what the trip was all about in the first place, she and I went around to the other part of the house together.

I too have several whelping diaries which I have used in the past.  Typically I'd buy an annual diary. Where most people use that for keeping track of their daily schedule and appointments the diary was what I used for journaling about ATB. Then one day John came home with this really nice "Laboratory Notebook" and I claimed it for my own.  The picture above reflects the mileage I've gotten out of it since then.  The binding is broken and so I taped it with wrapping tape. The surface of the inside of both the front and back covers have emergency phone numbers, information I didn't want to forget, dates and times for quick reference.  There's pages tucked in here and there with various important (to me) data.  There's a sheet with dog names that John and I came up with one night while trying to decide on a future puppy.  There's my personal reflections as well written during long winter nights with the wind howling, snow blowing, and woodstove blazing.  And the most invaluable information of all, the tracking of each pregnancy and whelping through delivery, weaning, and development.

On July 28th I opened my book to the page where I had last left the maroon colored ribbon bookmark. I turned over to the next page and wrote "Wilson and Pippin"  at the top of the clean, fresh, blank unlined page.  As I wrote their names together I felt my heart swell with so much pride. A big smile came to my face.  We are so thrilled for Wilson to join our breeding program and so appreciative that his owners have permitted him to do so.  Wilson in his own right has accomplished more than any other Brittany we have ever bred in a very short amount of time. While the genetics would dictate his potential, it is because of his dedicated owners that he has been given every opportunity to excel and to shine. His accolades are worthy of mentioning time and time again. Most of them are detailed in the breeding announcement which we shared here just about a month ago along with lots of brags and detail about Pippin as well as her amazing progeny.

July 28 - "I saw excessive licking and noticed slight color. (Told Kira!)
August 2 - "Pip for a progesterone test (Boys are definitely interested!)
August 7 - "Pip second progesterone test" (Breed now!)
JEOPARDY THEME SONG PLAYS....
August 24 - "Pippin excessively needy"
August 29 - "One of the dogs vomited in the house, was it Pippin?"
August 30 - "Miss chow hound has no interest in food."
September 9 - "Ultrasound Confirms Pregnancy" 

We have notified those who are on our waiting list, confirming level of interest. Our vet suggests there will be 6 puppies which is a real nice number of pups for a momma to care for.  Before the breeding occurred there were already 4 homes waiting specifically for puppies from Wilson and Pippin.

According to the size of the embryos clearly seen in the ultrasound as well as modern science the puppies of Wilson and Pippin, whose litter name is "Desires of the Heart", should arrive approximately October 7, give or take a few days.

Soon, the grooming studio will be transformed again to a cozy whelping area. We've been working on this area on and off throughout the summer and a lot of improvements have been made. The well used and loved family 'cradle' will be made ready and prepared for the arrival of Wilson and Pippin's puppies. I'll check my whelping supply list again and again to determine what needs to be replenished.  And I will look forward to when Pippin and I can begin to spend long hours together tucked away in this private space away from the rest of the world. Plans were to breed Pippin and Wilson however we were kind of hoping her heat would come later in the season but that was not to be. Maybe I'm not really fully recovered from total knee replacement yet to tromp around in the fields and woods bird hunting.  I gave myself a full year and I'm not even halfway there. So it's all good.

As always I seriously do covet the prayers of every person who ever takes the time to read this blog. The art of breeding and whelping a litter of pups can at time include uncertainties and unplanned events. There is always something to learn each time the decision is made to responsibly bring two animals together.  One would think it gets easier as time goes on because you learn more and there are always new protocols to consider but it does not.  Even so we are blessed not only with animals of excellent health, sound mind and body with strong and natural abilities we are blessed because of our circle of animal medical health professionals to turn to and who are always there for us. ( Dr. John, Dr. Amanda, Dr. Wes, Dr. Jen, Dr. Bill, Carrie - you all know how much we value your help, guidance, and assistance.)  And our ATB family - you totally rock and are the best. Our program would not be what it is today if not for your love, support, and prayers.  So dear ones, here we go again!  And I cannot wait to share this journey with you.  As always, take care and God bless - John, Ann, and ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!