ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

ATB: Breed Standards & Plumb Lines

There is a Facebook page called "Coffee Break With God".  I'm blogging this morning with that in mind.

60 is the new 50 or is it the new 40?   All I know is that when I gaze into the mirror the eyes looking back at me are for the most part very happy, peaceful, and content eyes.  They are brown like those of my mother and my father who have both been gone for many years now.  And those brown eyes love looking into the beautiful blue eyes of the man who I have spent over 40 years of my life with.

 Is silver gray the new black? I gave up coloring my hair about 10 years ago for good. I am often told by others they are thinking about doing the same thing but they don't think they would have the same depth of color, or that my color gray is so pretty and while they like how it looks on me, they couldn't do it.  Another friend insists on calling me a silver fox which makes me laugh! Some days when I look at my reflection in the mirror I feel the gray makes me look very tired and drawn out.  But there are other times it almost seems to illuminate my face.  Despite how often I may say "I think I'm going to color my gray again" I have yet to reach for the bottle again.

Are Browning hunting boots or LL Bean Mary-Janes the new high heel shoe? They are for me. I've never been one to collect endless pairs of shoes. (Okay stop right there.  Proper grammar check.  endless PAIRS or endless PAIR?  Anyone?) I prefer actually to walk barefoot year round.  And I have ugly feet.  Yes.  A childhood friend once told me the 16 year old 'me' that my toes reminded her of a scene featuring the aliens from the movie "War of The Worlds".  My mother wore a size 10 shoe. So does my sister. Many women in our family wear a 9 or a 10.  Sorry about that.  Anyway, despite not being an avid collector of footwear I did grieve and do lament the fact that since total knee replacement I can no longer wear any shoes with a heel.  Not that I wore them a lot but at least I had the option. Recently I recycled and tossed 4 pair of high heel shoes including a pair of true spike high heels. And despite having ugly feet at least I still can wear sandals and am not limited to wearing practical walking shoes.

You have to have a sense of humor about birthdays and advancing years.  Even about your own limitations.  Taking yourself too seriously can be hazardous to your health.  Letting little things add up can also have the same effect.  I am learning that you just have to let go of them.  Sometimes that's not too difficult when it comes to forgetting things.  Wouldn't it be nice if those things that were most likely to disrupt our peace of mind were also the things that were the most easiest to forget and with little effort?
 "Love keeps no record of wrong doing."  I bet most of us need help with this one if we are honest.  Another choice presents itself; to walk in selective memory or choose to walk in forgiveness?  Life is way too short and unpredictable.  And besides an unintended consequence of NOT walking in true forgiveness may result in shunning, ignoring, casting aside, and rejecting someone who may have no idea why you have withdrawn from their life. Interesting concept.

Know who you are. For me that means knowing who I am "in Christ."  I find that as the years go by it is more important to know what the Bible says about 'me' as a believer in God than what the world thinks of me. That truth sets people who embrace Scripture as the ultimate authority for their lives.  We all need manuals or guidebooks of some kind at one time or other.  Whether it is fixing a carburetor, air conditioner, or looking up a particular recipe to find ingredients needed the resource we reach for make the difference between success or failure. I could never in a million lifetimes meet or adhere to imagined or real expectations of another human being on a regular daily basis. This includes my family and closest friends. Consequently I know that the risk is there to disappoint many on a regular basis albeit not intentionally. Just being yourself is not always popular.  The old adage you can't please all the people all the time proves true time and again.

My life's compass is guided by a 'true north' point. I not only know who I am but I know who guides my life. There is also a plumb line that guides and affords for me a standard which I choose to adhere to as best as I can.  Many of my friends will understand the importance and significance of this as they choose to
adhere to a breed standard. A breeder will look to the written standard when evaluating a dog.  They don't always get it right and there is no perfect dog. Likewise, despite my desire to live in a way that pleases God I do not always get it right.  In a similar way, it is the dog show judge who determines which animal best represents the breed standard. Even an animal that may deviate away from that standard can be selected as the best representation because in the judges eyes it is. On any given day. That judge may see the many imperfections yet it is the judges opinion that determines the points won, the ribbons awarded, the titles achieved.  Therein lies the analogy for me. The Bible is the authoritative
written Word of the Living God and contains the standard to which I choose to adhere to.  While it is impossible to attain perfection outside of Christ, at least I am aware of the standard.

Today is my birthday and I am one year closer to Social Security and Medicare. I consider below some verses that help to keep me grounded, that have set me free so that I can remain grateful, stable, assured of who I am. Things that matter more to me than age, hair color, shoe style and other inconsequential stuff. My breed standard which I strive to adhere to.

 I am a child of God. (John 1:12). • I am a friend of Jesus.  (John 15:15). I have been accepted by Christ. (Romans 15:7).• In Christ Jesus, I have wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption.(1 Corinthians 1:30).• The hardening of my mind has been removed in Christ.(2 Corinthians 3:14).• I am a new creature in Christ.  (2 Corinthians 5:17)!• I have been set free in Christ. (Galatians 5:1).• I am chosen, holy, and blameless before God.  (Ephesians 1:4).• I have been sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. (Ephesians 1:13).• Because of God’s mercy and love, I have been made alive with Christ.(Ephesians 2:4-5)!• I am God’s workmanship created to produce good works. (Ephesians 2:10).• I have boldness and confident access to God through faith in Christ.  (Ephesians 3:12).• I was formerly darkness, but now I am light in the Lord.(Ephesians 5:8).• The peace of God guards my heart and mind. (Philippians 4:7).• I have been made complete in Christ. (Colossians 2:10).• I have been raised up with Christ.(Colossians 3:1).• My life is hidden with Christ in God.…  (Colossians 3:3).• I have been chosen of God, and I am holy and beloved. (Colossians 3:12).• God loves me and has chosen me.(1 Thessalonians 1:4).  

As always, thanks for your interest in All Things Brittany. Take care and God bless you and yours - John, Ann, and our canine crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!