ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

J&A's Full Speed Ahead



Just a brief update as many of you have privately messaged us to ask if all is well.  Indeed it is VERY well, thank you!

Toph's due date, according to our vet's prediction based on size of pup from ultrasound, was July 4th.  However, I have a tried but true method of determining due dates and my estimate was July 6 - 9.  Suffice to happily say pups of True and Toph are, as they say, "on the ground"!   John and I are basically working split shifts, we are like two ships that pass in the night with each one of us taking turns as needed to observe pups and their momma. I'd asked the owners and breeders of both Toph's mother and grandmother if Toph had "easy whelpers" behind her.  I was very happy to learn that they are and were. Toph's Stage 1 labor was so long after her temperature dropped.  We walked the emotional balancing board for many hours.  We are firm believers that you give the momma every possible chance for a natural delivery and understand that a lot of time and patience is involved. I didn't think Stage One Labor was ever going to end.  I watched the clock as I was aware of when our vets office closed. The very LAST thing I wanted to do was have to make a trip to an E-clinic. My experiences with middle of the night emergencies at an E-clinic are less than desirable as we've been met with a clear bias against breeders. Just sayin'.

Maryann was really hoping that the pups would be born on Hunter's birthday.  He was from our very first litter born in 1990. That would have had great significance especially to her as a first time dog breeder.  Toph's first puppy arrived just minutes after midnight and her last one as dawn was breaking. Oh what a beautiful morning!

Specifics and photos will be forthcoming once we have passed the 72 hour mark.  At this point all pups have gained weight and Toph is a wonderful mom.

Holly also is doing great.  Her pups are 2 weeks old already! Their eyes have just opened and they're up on all fours, walking around like drunken little sailors (no offense to sailors).  I like to see weight doubled by 10 days and from that point I want to see an average weight gain of 1 pound per week. I weighed the pups yesterday and was happy to see the weight average for the "Timeless Treasures" litter is 2 lbs. These puppies are absolutely delightful!

I have so many pictures it's not funny.   But I have very little time to edit and share at the moment.  I've been sitting here writing and dozed off several times. John and I are exhausted but you won't find us complaining. This is a lifestyle choice for us and while yes indeed, it's going to continue to get crazy busy over the next 8 weeks we also know how briefly the time flies.

The season of sadness has now turned into a jubilant season of "full speed ahead"!  For 8 brief weeks John and I will pour out our love, our time, resources and energy into the lives of these Brittany puppies. It has already meant several sleepless nights (said she who just fell asleep at the keyboard). John and I are well aware of how fleeting these moments in time are and before we know it these pups will know the first day of the rest of their life with their new families.  Speaking of these wonderful people who will soon open their hearts and homes to a new puppy, I have already shared the news with all of them and I know they are very very happy!

Stay tuned for some spectacular photos soon.  There simply is not enough hours in this day to share any of them at this time!

I am so thankful tonight that we have a God who cares about 'all things' that matter to us.  The slogan of "All Things Brittany" comes from the words found in the hymn of All Things Bright and Beautiful:


All things bright and beautiful,

All creatures great and small,

All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.

To that my dear ones I would add "AMEN" when I consider "ALL THINGS BRITTANY."

Take care and God bless.  J&A



No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!