ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Loving Tribute to My Rosebud

They say your dog will give you your happiest days, and one of your worst.  And it's true....

I remember her birth well. Early in the morning of April 2, 2005, Molly gave birth to her first litter of 5 beautiful Brittany puppies. Rosie was the first one born, and she arrived in much the same way her entire life was lived - unpredictable, fast, and non-traditional. Molly, who had labored intensely, suddenly jumped out of the whelping box and with one huge push expelled a puppy! Rosie was suspended in mid-air, hanging several inches out of her mother by her umbilical cord and still encased in placenta! A second push plopped Rosie out onto the floor. I acted quickly and gently cradled Rosie (still attached) so that her hanging weight would not cause undue stress on either mom or pup, reached for the blunt scissors and gently severed the cord at the proper distance. Coaxing Molly back to her whelping box I held Rosie's face to Molly's mouth and nose in hopes of maternal instinct kicking in. Sure enough it did and Molly gently bit away and licked at the remaining placenta that held Rosie captive. I let out a gasp of relief. From that day on until Molly’s passing 2 summers ago, Rosie and her mother were inseparable. (To the best of my knowledge, Rosie was the soul surviving puppy. Her siblings were Boomer, Crystal, Roscoe, and Benny Jack.)

Our little "Rosie" stood out to us from the start and quickly demonstrated for all the world to see that she was highly intelligent, independent, inquisitive, energetic and extremely loving and affectionate. (The entire litter exhibited these characteristics which was no surprise. Rosies sire "Tunk" was Frank Prides field dog, out of his prized Buschman line. Her mother "Molly" also carried the lines of "Rimarda's Trademark", "County Lawyer" and Renegades Double Stuff.) In the litter, Rosie was intent on making sure our eyes fell on her first and remained fixed on her - which was very easy to do given her charm and personality!
Miss Rosie did march to a different drummer as young as 4 weeks old. Remembering advice from Frank Pride about observing very young pups I knew she had the right stuff. While the rest of the pups were busy with each other or with their mother, Miss Rosie was all about exploring every nook and cranny that she could possible reach. In the beginning we were going to call her J&A's April Rose (being born in April). But when her personality began to emerge we saw what reminded us of the Ever Ready Energizer Bunny because she kept going and going and going! Her name became J&A's Ever Ready Rose. And she has always been EVER READY.


Fate was not kind to Rose though and she ended up being a Brittany with special needs. We loved her from the start and never regretted our choice to keep her. Although Rose was spayed and never bred she was a wonderful surrogate 'big sister' to many of our pups through the years. Rose was definitely high maintenance, needy, and tended to get anxious. Even so, her passion for life probably exuded that of all of our other Brittanys combined. I have always felt so connected to Rosie, in a way I cannot describe. And so do most people who meet her despite her very special needs.
Although our beautiful Rose was happiest when hunting she sensed when humans were hurting and simply needed the comfort of her company. And oh how Rosie loved to make me laugh. I love each and every Brittany in my life, they all have brought something so special and wonderful to us. They all stand out in their own right. Especially Rosie. My big, beautiful, fun loving Rosie whose purpose in life was simply to make me smile. Something she was quite good at. Even right up until this past week.
Rose hunted hard and she hunted fast, always giving 100% from the beginning of the day right to end. She returned totally exhausted and spent, but was always riding high on the thrill of it all. And she was always smiling. No matter what Rose was up to, her heart beat out of her chest with joy. Rose was a part of everything we did when younger. As every owner of multiple dogs knows, one of the greatest gifts we can offer to those we love and share our life with is that one on one time reserved especially for them. Rosie appreciated those moments more than any other of our crew. Rose was patient to a point, willing to yield right away to daily needs and necessities but she was never willing to be taken for granted.

I write this on the eve of knowing what is inevitable in the morning. I write it now because I feel the flood of tears backing up and I fear I shall not be able to restrain them once they start. All the cliche’s of older, senior dogs ring true in my ears tonight as does all the well intentioned advice and guidance about how to ‘know’ when ‘it’s time’. John and I have made the most humane and loving decision we can make for our Rosebud. IAnd the hardest. We have second guessed the timing. Should we wait? Should we have done this sooner? We almost did last summer but she totally rebounded and gave us one more year of simply being Rose.

Rosie the receptionist. Rosie the ball player. Rosie the scout. Rosie the surrogate sister. Rosie with the bad breath. Rosie who loved to be dirty. Rosie who jumped up onto the highest surface within her realm. Rosie who kissed passionately. Rosie who sounded like Kujo. Rosie who didn’t understand why her best dog friend Treasure didn’t want her near her puppies. Rosie laying down in the back window of my car making people smile as they drove by as a puppy. Rosie loving to swim. Rosie at Julies. Rosie in bed on my pillow. Rosie on the back of the couch. Rosie in the lawn chair. Rosie in the van. Rosie, Rosie, Rosie…

I love you and always will. I’ll never forget you and believe with all my heart there will come a day. I believe in Jesus and a God who cares for animals and all that concerns me.  I believe in eternal life and I believe and am confident there will be a reunion. I find comfort knowing about the Rainbow Bridge. Thank you for what you brought into my life.  Run free now.  Thank you Lord for this girl, please take good care of her... 


May I go now?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?
I’ve lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?
Do you think the time was right?
I didn’t want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.

I want to go
I really do.
It’s difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you’re sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.


I’ll not be far,
I promise that, and hope you’ll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.


Thank you so for loving me.
that’s why it’s hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.

You know I love you too,
So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you’ll let me go today.

Susan A. Jackson

6.15.19 Rosie was humanely and lovingly released into a painfree, peaceful existance at 8 a.m. surrounded in the quietness of her home by our vet, John, and me. She knew and was ready as I held her head, we looked deeply into each other's eyes. Rosie kissed my face profusely right up to her last breath.  Run free my sweet girl. You will be missed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!