ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, July 19, 2020

The Whelping Journal: BEST OF ATB


FROM THE ARCHIVES and previously published. 

"Good morning!  I had no intention of blogging again so soon.  My plans for the day included catching up on all things administration which consequently, led me to digging through some files. You know those quizes that are supposed to help you determine what your gifting, personality, etc. are? Well years ago when I was studying for ministry credentials I took a test to help determine my calling. That in itself is another story.  The results identified a very strong spiritual Gift of Administration.  Now John and others who know me may choose to differ 😅😍 but! it is a fact that I truly do enjoy organizing, administrating, writing, and managing files. I love to write both longhand and electronically.  I also like creating forms, graphs, etc.  As for those of you who don't know me well (yet) might roll your eyes and yawn, don't worry - I do find enjoyment in a myriad of other ways! But I digress.

I have written in the past about my dad's whelping journal:
"I have my father's red and well worn whelping diary which he wrote in the 60's.  To a non-breeder the chicken scratch on each line of each page would make little sense. To me, it is a walk down memory lane as I read about the birth of my Lily Belle, the puppies of Snooky and Rosie, the surgery of Little Frankie, the emergency trips to the Portsmouth Animal Hospital and more." 


I have also shared previously about my own well worn journal which I've posted above. That journal began in late 2007, just before I started this blog. Prior to that I had created forms for my notations, puppy reservation information, temperature charts, whelping tables, and ways to keep track of inquiries, visits and more.  But these early notes had been missing.  That is, until this morning. 


I had pulled my Thistle/Bullet and Pippin/Wilson puppy files to review. They were our last two litters 4 years ago. I had other folders out too of  those ATB families who are getting another Brittany from us.  I just use their prior questionnaires. As a breeder it's a true sense of joy working with someone who already has had a Brittany from us in past years that has given their dog an amazing life. I found the files I needed but just as I was about to put everything back I noticed an unmarked, well worn tabbed and bulging file folder.  I was curious as to what I may have overlooked.  As I recognized the contents of this folder I just as let out a big exclamation of "WOW"!   


These particular notes are special.  Why?  Because these are the detailed birth record of my beautiful Treasure, Holly's mother.  Those notes were written exactly 12 years ago today.  Treasure's birthday is Saturday! Even so, it is not only the obvious and emotional context that is significant to this breeder's heart.  It is that now I have in my hands the complete whelping history of Holly's mother Treasure but also her grandmother,Wish who passed away last year shortly after her 14th birthday. The value and importance of this information cannot be overlooked, especially for a first time mother who will give birth to the 4th generation of our amazing close working Brittany gun-dogs.  While it is true we always need to be prepared for anything which might happen, I'm thankful for this information today.  It gives me such peace. 



JUNE 2006 WHELPING NOTES: (Treasure's arrival!)
 Day 46 Wish's hair is shedding around her nipples
Day 57 Wish is very unconfortable, restless, not eating, vomited late PM/seems to be having light contractions, content but changes position a lot
Day 58 Trying to get Wish to eat. Egg or liver separately, also some Esbilac. Acts like she feels miserable. Taking Temps now every 12 hours.
Day 59 Temp dropped to 99.9. Mild straining, pushing, stretching at 3 pm.  Temp down 99.1.  Licking herself, digging papers, more/mild contractions/ 8:30 pm Temp is 90.  Fairly regular contractions about 10 minutes apart. Tries to sleep but contractions intensify.  Think her water broke at 11:20 pm.  Digging, straining, licking, she is getting so restless and looking to me for assurance/staying right with her.
Day 60 (June 16, 2006) 6:35 a.m. Wish whelped the first of 7 beautiful pups/her labor went very well, close deliveries, she got them nursing almost immediately/had basket with infrared light ready and she seemed to communicate to me when to put them in and when to take them out based on the whelping of each pup/very little assistance, just two aspirations and one cord needed cutting/a 'breech' birth (o/w/male) required a lubed gloved finger to help delivery head, pup was fine just a little blue at first/Gave Wish Pet-drops at start of labor and electrolytes during an after/Last pup born after a long delay. I thought she was done!"  

Take care and God bless, and thank you for your prayers and for being who you are. John, Ann, and All Things Brittany"

Previously published/From the archives, The BEST OF ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!