ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, August 31, 2009

A Lengthy Catch Up!

So much going on! Hard to keep up but you just wait a little bit longer Sir Cooper, I PROMISE I'll let you know exactly what's up very very soon!

Check out the slideshow just posted here! Thank you so much to Shiloh and Moxies new families for sharing the awesome pictures of their new family and homecoming. These pictures speak a thousand words and it's easy to see the pups are doing very well as are the resident dogs who have welcomed them into their 'domain'.


Today I received another amazing email - which included a copy of Remi's (Chris/Jack '08) official Canine Good Citizen Title from the American Kennel Club. All the Brittanys who earned their CGC titles at CMBC Fun Day should be getting the certificate in the mail (if ordered). The most incredible thing about Remi's title is the fact that 10 (?) year old Garrett Poulin is the one who successfully handled the handsome Remi to his title! I think both Garrett and Madison are exceptional dog handlers. The CGC could easily be challenging to any Brittany and their owners - but consider that Remi also was just 10 months old when he earned the title. Zina and Bob should be proud of the family they are raising and we're very happy one of our special pups is with them.


Speaking of special pups! I don't know how many of our friends are on Facebook but some of you may have already seen a few show photos from the past week. I traveled to Cumberland last Wednesday and returned last night for the "Maine Event" a really nice 4 day cluster of shows. Julie and Bullet joined Pippin and me on Thursday evening. The shows were full of a lot of surprises, ups and downs, highs and lows but the most fabulous thing happened ! J & A's High Caliber Harris Special (Bullet) won his very first AKC show point on Sunday when he first won his class, then went on to win the Winners Dog class ! I was so proud of Julie and Bullet and also really appreciate the other exhibitors who encouraged us all. Another added bonus of our good news here is that J & A's Heartfelt Legend of Acton (Pippin) won her second AKC show point on a very rainy day in Maine on Thursday. The competition was very good with experienced handlers and breeders and I truly was extremely surprised when the judge put Pippin up for Winners Bitch. My shock and surprise was evident even long after the win on the day Maine was experiencing the effects of Tropical Storm Danny. Once again Pippin and I gaited in the ring with Linda and 'Adam' something which I am quite honestly enjoying a lot for all the right reasons. Pippin took Best Opposite Sex to Adam. She also came home with many blues for her classes, a second, and a Reserve win. The numbers competing were low which is usually the case for these shows which are among my favorite. It is at this cluster that Treasure won her first 4 show points in 2007! I will brag that a wonderful and enjoyable all breed judge and his wife asked if Pippin won the breed class. I explained that Adam was one of the country's top Brits and I really hadn't set my sights that high. The gentleman said I should have because he thought Pippin could have won breed, they'd been watching us. I'll tuck that opinion away and treasure it always - what a compliment towards Miss Pippin!


John surprised me with a drop in visit to the show on Friday. Julie, John and I enjoyed a nice lunch together at the Brittanymobile before he left to join our daughter and children for a night at the fair in Acton. Little did we know John would be making yet another trip back when it was discovered all the water in the camper had been used... thus the realization something was leaking. He came and fixed the problem eventually; "my hero". And of course it was just an extra treat to spend some more time with him anyway.


Always enough food at the shows in the Brittanymobile. Whoever happens to be traveling together brings food to share and we try to have enough snacks, meals, beverages etc. At the end of the shows Pam, Julie, and I caught up with each other on everything. Pam had missed entries and also started work again. I was especially happy that she came by on Sunday.


John and I have started our tune up/crash course training to prepare the dogs for the fall; hunting, trials, and tests - hopefully all 3. We went to a nearby field early this morning and the dogs had several good finds. Pippin quartered very nicely and ranged out with confidence - a big improvement since a few weeks ago. We paired her with Treasure - a good choice as Treasure was quick to get her first find. I was out of handling reach though and before I knew it the girl hand delivered the bird - a nice soft mouth. No force training ever on her. (No comments please about retrieves - these dogs are first and foremost hunting dogs and when I shoot a bird, I want my dog to bring me the bird!) Treasure also backed Pippin nicely who held her point while I flushed the bird and fired the blank pistol. (We are licensed to train our dogs year around.) All in all John and I came away extremely pleased with the performance of the girls. Next trip out we will probably bring Rose. I like to put Pippin with the more experienced dogs yet keep her out of Jacks way until she's completely steady to wing and shot like he is. Jack is a finished gundog and performed with perfection; expect nothing less out of him - the breeding behind him is simply stellar.


I had been reading with great interest in the Book of the Brittany - the EIGHTIES - a handsigned copy by Rheta Cartmell. The book details the history of the Hall of Fame Brittanys and why the honor came to be. Early on the American Brittany Club wanted a way to assure breeders when a dog truly had the necessary lines behind them to expect the dog to be competitive in the field, as a hunting dog. When certain Hall of Fame Brittanys appear in a pedigree - it is helpful to breeders and to buyers alike, because a Hall of Fame Brittany has a particular line of breeding behind them. In the pedigree research and database work that I do - there is nothing I enjoy more than typing in just one name on a line early on - and finding that the previous 5, 6, or 7 lines are automatically filling in on their own! No research and little effort for Hall of Fame Brits. Recently we have traced each of our dogs all the way back into 3 or 4 lines of pre-imported Brittanys. I realize a lot of people can do this - but I've experienced it and it does bring great pride and joy to me - no pun intended! Chrissy, Jack, Treasure, Molly - ALL have many many Hall of Fame Brits to their credit. To some people that is of little importance. To me - it is extremely so. And besides - reading Rhetas books, as well as those of Maxwell Riddle and Fred Z. Smith have given me so much insight into the early imports including pictures of many of the dogs in the J & A's Brittany pedigrees. I love seeing the black and white pictures of our dogs ancestors - published in these books and hearing how the ancestors originally came here and when.


For those who have asked: We are currently accepting inquiries for our future breeding program and have been working with some very well qualified individuals. Although nothing is definite at this point in time - we expect that we will either keep or place in competitive homes at least 2 pups from our next anticpated litter. We have received deposits from several hunting families who have expressed an interest in waiting for a pup. This is especially encouraging because we do not advertise our dogs but when they are available, it is usually word of mouth or recommendations that reach us. Many times we have hooked up with people who were out bird hunting and asked someone in the woods - 'hey where did you get that Brittany?" Okay so it's hard to be humble - but it's true - those of you who hunt our dogs are usually are best references! I like the way Bailey's owner said it the best when she "hunted right out of the box"! A complimenet coming from breeders who have raised the Brittany as a gundog for many successful years.


Longwinded tonight eh?! That's because who knows when I'll get a chance to write like this again! Johns snoring in the chair, so I'm taking advantage of that LOL! There is another show for me this weekend and he will be home minding ATB. Then we turn our focus to field trials and maybe a hunt test or two. John was recently elected Vice President of the Maine Bird Dog Club and their field trial is coming right up after the CMBC one. Soon, I plan to take a hiatus from shows for the time being, for "all the right reasons" ;o)

Lots more to share but what I have to say needs to be tempered, so I shall wait until such a thing is possible rather than write something I could regret later! In the meantime, love and God Bless from John, Ann, and All Things Brittany!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!