ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

All Things Bright And Beautiful


Treasure and Gibsons pups are now 4 1/2 weeks old.  Daily I notice immense changes in their appearance, personality and movement.  The differences can even be noticed from morning until night.  The pups who at first were not as bold and confident as some of the others have quickly caught up in their development. There is quite a range of personalities but all of them are loving and affectionate.  I manage the activities of my day around their eating/sleeping/playing.  (I get to play too though, I am a big fan of Farmville and Cafe World on Facebook so watch and listen over the monitor while tending crops and cooking meals!!)  Treasure's time with her puppies is so important now, she will teach them about manners and respect.  It may sound really funny to say this but I feel like she understands I am there to help her out, but letting her call the shots.  Today I was sitting on my little stool inside the puppy pen and the pups were playing with Treasure who was also in there. All of a sudden she came over to me and gave me a great big kiss on the cheek and wagged her tail. Her way I suppose of saying thank you?!  There are things that she does with the pups that are done when no one is around so I enjoy the privledge of some of those moments by just sitting quietly by.  This afternoon I would have given anything to have had my camera but as the song says "Leave a Tender Moment Alone".   She was lying on her side with several sleeping pups nearby. They were not nursing, they just wanted to be near momma.  J.R. who is the sweetest marshmallow of a puppy crawled up onto her head and just cuddled in between her ears.  Then Digger who is a mellow fellow crawled up next to his brother and curled up on J.R.  Treasure was sound asleep.  I just sat there listening to the music playing and embraced this precious moment of intimacy shared with these animals.  I'll tell you why it was so special to me... because I've had a few rough days lately...

Our family learned the other day that my brother passed away in Arizona.  He was 66.  One of those big brothers that you idolize as a child and who, no matter what they really were all about - you still loved them deeply.  I won't go into details but suffice to say he lived his life exactly the way he wanted to.  I think we'd actually said our goodbyes a long time ago, but there is something about knowing someone is still living in the same world as you even if not a part of  your daily life.  And then suddenly - you get that call, and you realize they are gone.  He was a music lover and an animal lover. Somewhat of a loner by his own choice. This little sister found little fault with her big brother even when others did, even when she should have. Until I grew up.  But no matter what - I loved him and I do know he knew that.  So... today, once again music and animals came together and touched my heart as I sat with Treasure and her pups, listening to a song, think it was by the Stylistics..."You Are Everything, and Everything Is You".... And yup... tears fell.  I can't explain how I feel.  I think people expect me to act a certain way.  But I know how it was with my brother and I, and I know how he felt, and he knew how I felt.  Physically he left all of our lives years and years ago.  It was his choice.  I didn't even know how to reach him when our mother died and it was several months later that he was finally told.  So... I guess the beauty of a blog is the author can use it as a journal in a variety of ways... and I'm choosing to bring the love of God, the love our Brittanys, and the love of my brother together in this place...just for now.... I will be the one who writes an obituary for him, and I will probably be the one to plan a private memorial for him in the future.  I am not sure what is going on in Arizona...  Please don't be sad for me.  As I said we told each other goodbye a long time ago, but his death brings closure to that for both of us. Which is what he would have wanted too....
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings.
The rich man in his castle, The poor man at his gate,
He made them, high or lowly, And ordered their estate.
The purple headed mountains, The river running by,
The sunset and the morning that brightens up the sky.
The cold wind in the winter, The pleasant summer sun,
The ripe fruits in the garden, He made them every one.
The tall trees in the greenwood, The meadows where we play,
The rushes by the water, To gather every day.
He gave us eyes to see them, And lips that we might tell
How great is God Almighty, Who has made all things well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!