ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

And they're off!!


I give up!  I have tried to get some very nice 'still shots' of each of the pups, to show off how perfect they are in every way but it is totally and absolutely IMPOSSIBLE!  The only time it is even remotely likely to get a group shot these days is when they are all sleeping - maybe possible that is if they happen to fall asleep together - NOT anymore!  I've been faithful to photograph them on the scale each week but now they don't fit on the puppy scale any longer and forget about trying to get them to remain still long enough anyway.  I can show you what I mean but I only was able to get a few photos!  We did get the weight recorded though and I'm very pleased at the average overall weight gain of the entire litter, which has been a pound a week.  There is some variance of course but I'm delighted with the growth and development of these pups.  The pictures to the left are very blurry because the pups would not stay still which is why I didn't upload a series like I usually do. This weekend however Pam, Sam, Julie and maybe Jim too will be down.  We're going to take time to get some very nice photos of these pups as well as do the Puppy ptitude Tests.  We'll be doing some grooming together as well.  I'm really looking forward to their visit which will of course include lots of time for playing with puppies and new pictures. 
This afternoon I left the pups inside playing for just a couple of moments.  I returned to find them having a free for all with a roll of blue puppy poop bags!  I had the roll tucked into the cabinet drawer so that I could pull one out at a time as needed in their pen.  I'm not sure exactly which little Houdini did it - but one of them had to jump up pretty high to grab hold of the end of the bags.  Who ever did it ran the full length of the room which of course engaged the rest of the co-sonspirators in a full fledged game of tug of war.  Just picture a toilet paper roll being unraveled from one end of the house to the other and you'll know what it was like.  Of course I laughed myself silly as I watched their antics.  Suffice to say naptimes for puppies are becoming shorter, and awake times becoming longer, poops are more plentiful and of significant size... ahhhh so you know what I mean?!!! Those precious early weeks of solitude, bliss, and reflections - are a thing of the past!  We now have 11 thriving, active, funloving, healthy, adventurous, curious, bold, Brittany pups who are discovered there is a whole lot more to life than the inside of a whelping box!  Wouldn't have it any other way though... not in a million years.  Course I look in the mirror at the end of the day and say YIKES!!!! I went through the day looking like that?!!!!   And tonight I have to rummage through my closet in hopes of finding a suitable outfit to wear to the State House tomorrow... it will be my first official meeting as a member on the Maine Animal Welfare Advisory Council, representing licensed municipal kennel owners.  A governor appointed position, I'm very proud to serve in this capacity in hopes of working towards making the needs and concerns of responsible owners of multiple dogs who are not a breeding kennel heard.  All too often breeders of purebred dogs are looked upon with disdain in this moment in time and viewed with suspicioun, heavily regulated and licensed.  I have a very strong code of ethics regarding responsible dog ownership and breeding, but I am against animal rights.  So anyway, I am looking forward to the meeting tomorrow, John will be here at ATB, and I'll be moving out of my comfort zone !  Well thanks for listening to my rambling, heading right back down to see the pups and continue to work on my grooming of Miss Pippin for the upcoming show season!  She's lookin' some beautiful!  Take care and God Bless, John, Ann and ATB

1 comment:

  1. Ann: I just had to respond. Laughed 'till I cried over the antics of the 11 with the blue poop bags. Brittany (our first previous baby girl) and Sir Cooper (the terror) were and are active toilet paper rollers. I have a picture of Brittany's most laughable episode where she rolled the toilet paper from the bathroom, down a hallway, through the computer room, through another hallway and into our bedroom. Sir Cooper discovered a 12 pack of double rolls left on the floor and proceeded to roll one roll through the entire downstairs and then took the other 11 into the living room and made toilet paper confetti which he loving deposited on the couch, the chairs and, lastly, completely covered the living room floor. No one ever said a Brittany was a docile little pup. WOuldn't have it any other way!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!