ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Checkin' In!



Molly and Jack Pictured Here

Just a quick update!  We are indeed very busy here enjoying All Things Brittany but wanted to try to catch up a little bit this afternoon before heading out for several days to dog shows.  First time I've been in the ring since last August/Early September and I'm looking forward to this.  It is alway so much fun to be with our friends and we have a good time.  Of course we have an even better time when one of our Brittany's wins or places in their class.  There are two "majors" available this weekend for the 'girls' and I have several friends who would love to win that - hey, including me!!!!   I like the shows this weekend for a couple of reasons.  For starters, if cabin fever has set in this is a good way to break through it.  But the very first time I ever showed in January 2007 when I took Pippins mother "Chrissy" into the ring.  I have wonderful memories including my first placement ever - we took second place in the Open Class of females, that was just shy of a major. The judge said he'd never seen anyone be quite as excited about second place before!  But John and I were both thrilled.  John of course was ringside taking lots of pictures including the one when my "bait" fell out of my sleeve as well as when I started to take Chrissy all around the ring when that was not what the judge wanted.  But he was a wonderful judge. Since then, these January shows have always held a special place in my heart for many reasons, not the least of which is where John and I first met Dawn Hill, owner of Pippins sire, Ch Hills Blazn Jac and we were there when he finished his championship.  Last year Julie, Lisa, and I were ringside as Trues sire, Ch Gibson JH CGC, won his AKC championship title.  Who knows what this year will bring?!  One thing for sure, I am looking forward to being there with Pippin and our friends.

With clicker training True has learned his name, comes when called, focuses in on me, sits, and lays down.  He also asks to go out, is crate trained, does a great job of posing for me, and so much more.  John is working with Piper (sans clicker) and she does many of the above, and is doing very well with "whoa" and letting him steady and styler her up on her points.  Daily each pup is with birds or gets frozen wings to work/play with.  And they are both loves!

Our daughter in law is going on a missions trip to India for 2 1/2 weeks and leaves Friday.  Those who believe in power of prayer - please remember our entire family. Lots of mixed emotions happening right now. Our son will remain home with their 4 children.... I just do not have a peace about this - they know it - but I put my trust in God and leave it with Him. I'd be a darned liar if I said I was not filled with very legitimate concerns about many, many aspects of this.  I said I won't be a faithbuster but neither will I pretend everything is hunky dory with me.  Having to separate my emotions and concerns and very real fears means totally turning this over to the Lord. 

We've been receiving a lot of calls and emails for pups and doing the best we can to work with each family we feel is best qualified for one of our pups, now or in the future.  Sometimes this means people take things the wrong way, or get offended because of some of the questions we ask.  Recently we accomodated an inquiry into our Brittanys by offering several of you a chance to connect with an individual, who had also indicated we were being checked up on by another breeder on their behalf.  Throughout this whole situation I have learned a valuable lesson.  All Things Brittanys repersents to me, a lot more than answering questions about how much a dog cost, the color of the dog, when a pup is available etc.  Having one or two litters a year, means that is not our primary focus. Our Brittany and breeding program speak for themselves. We are transparent to a fault.  If someone is not happy with the way we do things, or is critical of what may be said concerning compatibilty of a pup or asks is a Brittany is indeed the dog for them.. .I am sorry.  But this is not a business and it's really not a hobby.  This is a lifestyle choice for John and I - to spend our lives at this point in time, loving, caring for, training, hunting, showing, and occassionally breeding Brittanys.  We love what we do and do what we love.  When we breed, it is for a specific purpose and we always have folks waiting for our pups. We have to be very diligent in our screening process for many reasons and sometimes it means people get offended or that we are misunderstood. But fortunately, that is not often the case.  Responsible breeders want responsible owners.  Sorry for the negative rant... !!

Having said that, my toes are cold... the woodfire needs stoking...True and Piper need to go out... Grooming and exercising are on the agenda... and oh yes!!! Packing for the dog show... Better run!

Thanks for everything... and indeed!!! TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS!!  John and Ann and ATB



No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!