ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mainely Winter


Piper gets a first hand look at one of our homing pigeons held by John

Okay...cabin fever wants to set in here but it just cannot happen.  I want to crawl under the covers and not emerge until springtime. How realisitic is THAT?!  Actually yesterday afternoon I had to give into that feeling for just awhile.  It may have something to do with the new SleepNumber bed... which gives us the best sleep in years, and has minimized the stiffy joints and achy muscles.  And it is large enough to accomodate half a dozen Brittanys - well isn't that the most important thing??  Molly Rose, Treasure and I politely excused ourselves from the rest of ATB and left it all in the very capable hands of John, quietly closed the door behind us and enjoyed several hours of rest in the late afternoon.  The 'little ones' were in their crate for the afternoon, Jack was of course with John.  Rosie, Wish, Pippin, and Scooby (why do I always feel I'm leaving someone out?) had earlier enjoyed several romps around the pond with me which is probably one reason I was so exhausted!  It's not 'just' a walk around the pond - it is a major expidition through over 2 feet of snow which has yet to be packed down into a suitable path yet.  I'd been counting on the Brittanys to re-establish the path again but they were only going half way and then turning back around.  That is with the exception of Pippin and Piper who had no problem jumping and leaping through the white stuff!  Suffice to say, I finally was able to complete my first journey around the edge and the rest is history, sort of.  These little walks continue to be the extent of my attempt to add more daily exercise - which is really important for me right now.  I have snow shoes and I have cross country skis but it's been awhile since I've used either.  It's possible that they'll be brought out of storage, who knows! 


John has become primary caregiver to Molly this time around. In past years he has usually been working when pups arrived but now he is really enjoying the opportunity to be involved beginning to end.  Molly absolutely loves and trusts him anyway.  She's very close, is quite uncomfortable, and labors gently with the evidence of quiet moans and frequent readjustment of her body.  This is one reason why I like to rest with her... it is relaxing for Molly and I get to observe what's going on in her body.  The young pups spend time in the dog house when Molly is with us and vice versa.  They would be too much for Molly to try to cope with of course.  John has been the one lately to spend the most time with her and I love this, I really do.  He's always busy with the more laborous of chores that relate to what we do and I get to enjoy some of the more special times with the dogs.  I feel that we have become more of a 'team' in recent months, working together and I know that's especially because of our decision to keep two pups.  He's looking forward already to beginning a basic training program for the spring, moving beyond anything we've done with our own dogs before.  We both know what needs to be and must be done and together I feel we are flowing in that now more than ever.  It's a nice feeling.  And he can take off and go ice fishing to get away, and I can do 'whatever.' I'm really looking forward to Molly and Jacks second litter of pups together.  Her tummy is moving all the time, these babies are going to be one active litter!  John is very protective of all his 'girls' and Molly especially so.

Well this little lull in the day is coming to an end for me, as I hear True and Piper making sounds from their crates which means they are ready for the next part of their day.  I am too!  We have invited John and the kids over for Baked Beans later on and the beans cooking smell so wonderful.  I think I'll make some cornbread and maybe some kind of dessert.  We have had very good reports about Teri in India from John.  She doesn't leave until the 31st.  A lot of people are praying about her trip there, thank you.

Hope you are all enjoying some kind of wintry outdoor sport or activity.  I know Julie and Sassy are in Portland today at a Flyball Tournament.  I had hoped to get away and see her in action but I couldn't get away to go.  I know she'll do great though - she loves the sport of Flyball and it shows.  Take care and God Bless you and yours always, and thanks again for your interest in ATB!  John and Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!