ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Trout Surfacing

John is so happy and when John is happy, Ann is happy!  Early in the morning when he walked down to the pond he saw the trout he'd put in several days ago skimming the surface.  We are only putting in a few at a time to monitor them and be sure that everything is at is should be.  Of course my not so brilliant question of the day was would the fish be okay with the dogs swimming in the pond and I am a brunette... err, actually no I am a greyette.  If all goes well we will be adding more trout on a continual basis and some very special grandchildren will be able to experience the tradition of fishing with grandpa. And our dogs will have a big swimming hole to enjoy this summer as well.

These April mornings are becoming more and more magnificent each day.  I am thinking of repositioning my computer so that I can look out directly towards the pond.  We do expect that perhaps ducks and geese will eventually discover us as there have been geese on our neighbors pond.  Unlikely they'll stay long though with ATB around.  Last night when letting True and Piper out for their final outing I walked around outside and enjoyed the milder temperatures.  It was chilly of course, but not cold.  The air was so clean, crisp and fresh. I found myself anticipating a night sitting around our fire pit in the near future.  And then the dogs came running back by and I was jarred back into reality.

I am saying goodbye to True today... but only for a week!  Here's why...Due to my ever unpredictable knee issues I will have to limit how much show handling I physically do myself. (As enjoyable it was to show Pippin a few weeks ago I paid dearly for it afterwards.)   Even so, I am blessed beyond belief at the generousity of our friends who have offered to lend a helping hand in the months ahead.  At Pam's encouragement I signed True up for an intensive handling class.  "The class will focus on care and conditioning of the show dog, basic ring routines, pre-ring procedures and nerve management, proper ring etiquette and dress, stacking, gaiting, and free-baiting, preventing undesireable behaviors in the ring, attention training, handling and grooming tricks and hints on competing with the pros.  True will also be exposed to a variety of simulated ring conditions.  This training will address the whole dog and specifically strengthen the bond between dog and handler for optimum performance. The training is partitioned and incremental, leading to a series of successes culminating in a final, well-choreographed ring presentation. NOT your average handling class!" Tonight we will meet each other at the training center where Pam will be True's handler at most shows from now on.  Not quite old enough for the actual show ring yet, he will also be going home with her for a week so they can get to know each other better.  So Mr. True will be hanging out with his real father "Gibson" and also with pretty "Paris".  I know that Pam and Sam love True as much as we do, afterall he was their pick of the litter!  My approach to this is one of strength and braveness, it's not like he's leaving to begin the first day of the rest of his life with new owners.  He's not going to be that far away.  Pam and Sam will definitely take excellent care of him and I know this will be a very important part of his ongoing need for increased socialization.  I do think last night he knew something was up though.  Typically he will check in with me, show a bit of affection and either settle down nearby or head off to investigate.  Last night True approached me time and time again, pawing at me and cuddling close.

Speaking of cuddling close, Treasure has finally come full circle from being bred, to whelping, to weaning, to blowing her coat, to undergoing a major physical transformation, to going back into heat again, and finally returning to her typical self!  She really changed after having 11 pups in more than one way. Nothing negative of course but her behavior was so fickle.  One morning she'd decide to run like the wind around and around which she usually loves to do.  The next time out she'd take a more laid back approach and lay on the ground enjoying a bone. Her coat came in then her coat went out.  All these funky and kinky strands of hair appeared out of nowhere. Just about the time I thought things were going to be somewhat normal (normal is not the standard for Treasure) she proved me wrong and then went into heat.  So here we are, 8 months later and thinking hard about the future of this 3 year old beauty!  In 2007 her trainer finally gave me the thumbs up to take her into the ring when she was a little over a year old and she won Best of Sweeps, one of her 'claims to fame'.  Treasure wasn't ready to show prior to that and the strategy was to debut her and pick up all of her 'minor points'.  We met this goal over a period of time of selectively showing her. Treasure just wasn't ready for majors after winning 9 AKC championship points although she was definitely competitive in a ring with more entries. I have always loved showing Treasure, she is my 'learning dog' and we've learned a lot together. I pride myself in knowing that her points all have been won in the Bred by Exhibitor class.  Treasure does need two majors to finish and I will continue to do my personal best on her behalf.  I hope to bring her back out this spring as we work to get her in top show condition.  If not - we're going to be just as happy with things the way they are!

Well today is shaping up to be a gorgeous day !  I'm loving this April so far.  I think it's nice to start the month off with Easter.

Before I forget, there are a few changes going on over at our J & A's Brittanys website which will be obvious shortly.  The new, current web design has been enjoyed and commented upon by many people. 
On with the day! Take care and God bless,
John and Ann and All Things Brittany

1 comment:

  1. At least True will be in excellent and loving hands, and not that far away! Good for all of you, although I know how hard it is to give them up, even for a few days!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!