ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Friday, April 16, 2010

TRUE THOUGHTS...

True is back home with us after being away for a week.  I received this wonderful email the day before he came home. I'm sharing it because it meant so much to me as does the special friendship between True's father's owners and John and I.  I hope it will always be this way, the caring, the feeling, the involvement and the sense of true family between all of All Things Brittany...

"This is our last nite togtether , I will miss him terribly, in the short time he has been here it has been proven  he is a part of our family too.  I have seen many things this week and hope that I can remember to tell you everything. One of the neatest things as I was watching True and Gibson this afternoon I saw True following his father and imitating whatever thing he was doing.  Wherever Gibby smelled, True smelled and where Gibby ran True followed after him.  It was wonderful to watch! Gibson has so enjoyed having True here.  They have played and wrestled and chased each other until they were worn out.  Paris also liked playing with True but gets jealous when they boys play together and not with her so she will stand over them barking.



Some of the things we worked on this week (other than playing) was "Off".  I would say "off' and when he got down, he was petted.  Whenever he was scolded I'd point my finger at him so he would know that Ii am serious. I hope to use this in the ring when I need his attention, as a signal that this is serious time not playtime.   He was great for me on the grooming table and and is fine with the dryer and clippers. I didn't use them alot, just a little so he knew that it was ok and not scary!  I used the noose on him but didn't pull it tight. Another thing we worked on was going up and down stairs. True was fine with 1 or 2 steps but having a lot of steps was scary to him.  After he was left outside by himself but not coming up the stairs he learned how to do it. Now he runs up and down happily!   I also don't go outside until he gets off the steps and when he really has to go its not an issue.


Again I can't tell you how much we will miss him but I know that you have missed him more and will be happy to get him back.  I  look forward to tomorrows class and the fact that I will get to see True for the next few weeks.  Maybe after I get out of school he can come back to play again. 

He also loves sleeping in bed! I woke up the other night and he was sound asleep and upside down with all 4 paws in the air..."

I went to handling class last night and arrived a little late intentionally; I did not want to interfere with True's training.  These classes at Petiquette are awesome and I learn so much observing and taking notes, things I can apply and adhere to with our other dogs.  But last night it was about Pam and True. He had not changed a lot, but I could see a few subtle changes.  He was certainly much more focused on her, moving very nicely and walking into a free stack just the way I like to see.  They worked on going through the door first, making the dogs wait;  also things like how to get your dog to raise his head up in the ring while gaiting (will pay attention to that for Pippin!!) move in a straight line etc. etc.  I thought a couple of times he may have noticed me across the studio but if he did, his focus willingly quickly returned to Pam.

It was a happy reunion at the end of the class for me to be with True again.  But as happy as he was to see me, he easily would have remained with Pam, that was clear to see!  I know they will miss each other. 

(Thank you Pam... I really really appreciate everything you are doing with True, making it possible for me to continue to follow our dreams here - my knee would hardly allow for me to do the classes and that's getting harder to accept for sure.  But what matters is your willingness (and that of Dawn, Julie, and Shania) to help and so I know True and ATB are in good hands in the ring and or the field.  Thanks also for letting me share your very special note with ALL of those who have an interest in ATB.  I sure hope that your experience with Gibson and Treasure's pups, being involved from the very beginning has meant as much to you as it has meant to me.)

Take care and God Bless, John, Ann and the Brittany crew

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!