ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

True's First Handling Lesson with Petiquette

Recently we received an invitation to attend the grand opening of a brand new dog training studio in Southern Maine, called Finish Forward Dogs.  Although we did not attend I heard very positive reports from those who did including how this new venue has a lot of potential for hosting dog shows, matches, seminars, and other events.  Prior to this Penny Cary, a friend of ours in the dog world, polled a group of people as to their level of  interest in attending her handling classes at the new facility.  (Penny and her "Petiquette" canine education classes are no stranger to the local dog showing community.)  I responded positively to the poll and sort of forgot about it. We've been very fortunate in our selection of dog trainers in the past for puppy classes, show handling, and field training.  I'm of the belief that there is always something fresh and new to add to your 'toolbox' of dog teaching techniques and using various training 'tools" benefits both dog and handler.  I also suggest that developing a positive relationship with several dog trainers is equally important. There have been times when I've come out of the ring and ran straight to my trainer for guidance!  But I'd never been to one of Penny's classes before last night.  And I am impressed.

Pam (Gibson's owner) has attended Penny's handling classes in the past and suggested we enroll True.  She offered to handle him if I'd enroll him.  How could I resist?!  She also offered to take him for a week following the first class so they could bond and she could work with him.  This was not quite so easy to decide needless to say but John and I agreed it would be a real good experience for True. (Being brave and strong at the moment.)

I walked into the studio and I was impressed. The entire floor of the room, which is the size of a small gymnasium, is made of some kind of soft, textured rubber.  Good for the feet, quiet for the dogs, easy to clean and just perfect for a dog training environment.  Along the perimeter of the entire room, about 5 feet from the floor there is a small, open 1 sided shelf useful for putting treats, bags, you name it up out of harms way yet within easy reach.  Then placed on the outside of the shelf at intervals of about 3 - 4 feet  are hooks with clips, for you to secure your leashed dog to.  There's mirrors, equipment, a place to water your dog, clean up equipment, and so much more.  Everyone was just so friendly. 

True was a little overwhelmed when we first got out of the car.  (Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore - lions, and tigers, and bears - oh my!)  Some of the other clients were walking their dogs outside the facility and True reacted like a nutcase at first.  Fortunately, in this day and age most dog owners who have dogs that interact with others frequently understand dog language and communication and how to respond.  I liked the two - way approach... with me reacting to True firmly yet gently, and the others approaching him properly with their dogs.  There was no sense of 'oh my God what's wrong with your dog' but instead a sense of understanding where True may be in regards to developmental stage.  So going into the studio was another experience in itself too. But Penny quickly came over to True, asked him name, and immediately began to treat him, getting him to follow her.  I dropped my lead so he could do this freely without interfereance from me.  A few minutes later, she pointed to a Toller and said "see that dog?  When it first came here it would not get up off of it's belly.  At it's last show it won a 5 point Major!" Okay so there was the encouragement I needed, thanks Penny!

In no time at all Pam arrived and came through the door.  It was so good to see her and True was pretty happy too.  Right away I handed True off to Pam and I literally took a back seat so I could sit and observe.  I did have to change where I was sitting because in the beginning the little "momma's boy" kept looking for me.  Pam really has a wonderful way with dogs and in no time at all she helped True overcame some  initial behavior issues that could have interfered with his lessons.  I was impressed again!

Although I had brought my camera of course the batteries died within minutes.  I did manage to take a couple of  photographs.  I also brought a small notebad and wrote pages of notes as Penny taught the highly motivated and energetic class.  Many different dogs were there for True to experience. The students included a HUGE and I  mean HUGE Great Dane, 2 Boxers, a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver (the one who won a 5 point major), 2 Doberman Pinscher, Golden Retriever, Black Labrador Retriever (?) and of course a Brittany.  That little 6 month old Brittany did very well as did his beaming handler who I happily applauded.

For one hour I had the pleasure of watching Pam and True become a team together.  The class was demanding but it was also outstanding.  Penny has a way of working with each handler and their dog that builds confidence and trust. She will not put up with any foolishness from any dog, but her methods of correction show respect for the dogs intelligence. Penny also spends one on one time with each canine student and their handler in the class and will often take a dog and demonstrate a particular technique.  I learned a lot of new things.  Some methods of training I am familiar with and use frequently, others were brand new to me. 

By the end of the handling class True was moving out very nicely with Pam, she had captured his undivided attention, and he interfaced well with all the other dogs and people there.  It was especially helpful for Pam when Penny took True and moved him through a series of muscle exercises and offered very positive feedback.  I told Pam there is no way I could have gone through those paces - and WOW - that is some workout! 

When everything was said and done, I left True in some very capable hands for the next week.  He was very tired and slept all the way home, and enjoyed his first night cuddled up with his new best friend, Pam. He's going to experience a whole new world in the days ahead and be all the better for it.  Do I miss him? You betcha.  He has a heart of gold, he's a lot like his mother Treasure and is extremely affectionate yet without being needy or demanding.  True studies a situation, much like she does and then figures out what to do about it.  Usually if it involves making me happy, he's quick to take it on.  Last night he couldn't really see me too much, Pam intentionally blocked his way. But every once in awhile when free-baiting, he would look beyond her and turn his head slightly in my direction.  'Do you see me now?  How am I doing?  Are you happy? Do I make you proud?' 

Oh yes little Mr. True, our Keeper of the Stars, son of Gibson and Dreams Come True... indeed I saw you and I was very proud.  You showed me glimpses of dreams coming true and hope. You helped me further understand another dimension of All Things Brittany, where the mutal interest and love of  Brittany dogs,  develops into strong and solid friendships based on respect, trust, and honesty. With that comes the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them, the opportunity to guide and mentor those who are receptive, and sometimes the right to speak boldly and honestly into someone's life. Once again I find God has used a Brittany dog and those who love them to speak into my heart about His love, which is always given but not always received. 

Thank you Pam and to all the wonderful family and friends that are a part of our lives. You're all very special.

Take care and God Bless you all, John, Ann and ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!