ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Announcing Pippin's 5 Point Major Win!

J & A's Heartfelt Legend of Acton "Pippin"
Sire:  Ch Hills Blazen' Jac   Dam:  KJ Requets' Bouncin Crysta

WOW.   Did this really happen?  That phone call this afternoon - Dawn telling me I better sit down.  I knew in my heart what I wanted to hear but really could not fathom the possibility.  Suddenly the words were spoken, "Pippin won a 5 point major today."  And I was speechless, then laughed, then cried... said oh wow.  Really? Really?  Oh... what a moment.  Our beautiful little Pippin was shown in Springfield today by Dawn Hill, as you know who owns Pips father, Jac.   Pippin left Maine Tuesday with some friends of ours and is spending the week with Dawn in Connecticutt while being shown in 5 shows.  BIG HUGE IMPORTANT SHOWS WITH BIG HUGE ENTRIES AND BEAUTIFUL BRITTANYS FROM ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY.  As a matter of fact there is a true celebrity at these shows, and that is David Frei. 

I have to keep this straight in my heart, head and mind.  I am the right kind of proud but I don't want to be boastful!  I want to share this joy but I also want to remain humble!  Somehow!  And I always want to remember that it is God who is control of our life, and it's always appropriate to thank HIM for blessings such as these.  And so believe me - I do! 

I know, the term 'major' may be foreign to many of you. Basically it is a term to define a significant victory in a dog show.  Points are awarded to dogs at shows based on how many dogs are exhibited.  There are single points and there are majors.  Majors are when you win 3 or more points at once based on the number of dogs defeated.  To finish as an AKC championship, 15 points are needed.  Two of them must be majors, under two different judges.  For instance, Treasure has 9 points, earned in her first year of showing. She needs two majors to finish, a minimum of 3 points each - to add to 15.  Confused? Don't worry - it is confusing and you are not alone.  Up until today, Pippin had 4 points - all single points won at small shows. 

Today it was the Southern New England Brittany Club Specialty in Springfield, MA with 25 girls entered.  This meant a 5 point major was available.  Well... Pippin won her class which had about 10 other girls in it.  Then she competed with the rest of the first place girls - and was declared "Winners Bitch".  The "Winner" gets the points.  And today - the WINNER IS PIPPIN!

Dawn and I equally share this joy.  There's a wonderful story behind our friendship, definitely aboout "the love of the dog, both given and received."  And I hope she knows how very much I value her friendship, and appreciate the many ways she and Paul help and encourage John and I.  Our goal is that Pippin becomes a champion - perhaps of both show and ring.  And today's win brings us one step closer to reaching that goal. 

Several years ago John and I knew we needed and wanted to bring in some new lines to compliment what we're doing in our program and let a few people know what we were looking for and why. Soon, we were put in touch with the owner of Pippin's mother, Chrissy. John was in Illinois and was able to bring her home with him; Chrissy lay her head on John's lap the entire way.  Chris was to teach me about showing - and that she did!  At our first show together, John and I met Dawn who had a very nice male - and of very close, similar lines to Chris.  Dawn finished him that day - and we watched who soon was to be Pippin's father - become a champion! Small world... To make a long story short - in time Chris and Jac were bred and hopes were high for all of us.  Chris only had 1 puppy though - and that was Pippin.  The four of us know how difficult a time it was for all of us for so many reasons.  And today the four of us stand shoulder to shoulder in a very strong friendship.  One of many good things I can say about Dawn is that she sets a good example for others to follow when it comes to showing, breeding, handling and in life in general.

People win majors every weekend at dog shows all around the country.  But this is the first one for ATB.  And it is a significant, huge, win - one that truly does humble me.  Pippin defeated some of the best Brittanys out there today.  She is the product of a careful selective linebreeding on 3xAmFldCh./BISS/DC/AFC Masked Shoshoni War Chief JH. And she is well on her way to being our very first champion, something I am still pinching myself about.  Overjoyed would be a wonderful way to explain this!

Even so, there are many of you who read our blog, follow us on Facebook and simply have an interest in All Things Brittany.  And a lot of you have your own champions laying at your feet, or next to you on the couch. They are champions of your heart, for they have won first place there - simply by being your friend and companion. They are champions in your mind, when the two of you hit the field together for a succesful bird hunt in the fall.  They are champions - they are your first prize - and the feeling is mutual in their canine eyes.

I'm excited about this win!  But if I ever put winning dog shows or other competitions above the other things in life that matter the most - I hope you'll all knock me down a peg and bring me back to reality.  I've seen a very ugly side of dog showing as most of you know, one which occasionally rears its ugly head.  That's not something I ever want to reflect or shine back to you.   And I've seen a wonderful side of it too a side I hope you see coming from us. I appreciate those who have been with us for awhile, understanding what we're about, sharing our lives, getting to know some of our family, and loving our dogs.  This is a great journey, and I continue to be amazed at the way God leads and guides at every single turn.  I can't separate my life into the dog part, the God part, the family part, etc.  Speaking of lights shining - I struggle daily with walking the walk that I talk.  And so-o-o-o-o many of YOU... help me stay on the path , you really really do. 

I'm elated tonight... and I know Dawn is too.  She has her work cut out for her with Pippin and several other dogs she's showing the rest of the week.  I'll be remembering her in my prayers, in appreciation of all that she has done.   Good night, take care and God bless you... Love from John ,Ann and All things Brittany.
WOO HOO PIPPINATOR!!!!! 




 

4 comments:

  1. The unconditional affection from a dog is an amazing thing and many times this includes wet dog kisses. Many people who pet your dog will allow and even encourage your dog to kiss them up and down the side of their face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you wrote about each of us having our own champion warmed my heart and wet my eyes. You have a way with words, and it spoke directly to me (and my Brittany girl Gemma). Thank you for doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOO-HOO is right, it couldn't happen to more deserved owner or a more deserved pup.
    Much love to all, congratulations ~ enjoy this time!

    Steve, Steph, Starr & Nash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such kind words...

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!