ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

Bullet and Sassy chillin' at home after swimming and playing together

Time will only permit a hastily written post as the work that is before me in preparation for Fun Day is calling my name!  I do want to thank Julie and Jim once more for the hospitality of staying with them this week and especially say how much I once more enjoyed their guestroom, which is to me a true 'upper room'.  Little personal touches that make an overnight with them so special; the flowers, the devotional by the bed, fan in the window and the bed which was made up so perfectly with the linen and lace covered down pillows.  Last time I was there Treasure accompanied me but since I arrived  'dogless' Bullet offered his companionship and kept me company while I slept.  With Julie loaning me the next book in the Highlander series by Diana Gabaldon I fell off to sleep with the expectation of a reunion between "Claire" and "Jamie".

The concert was of course intended to be the high point of my visit with our friends but there was so much wrapped around that event itself which just made my up and back 24 hour trip seem like a mid-week mini vacation. When I arrived Jim, Julie and I sat in the shade on their back porch and visited with each other with the dogs and also the Bobwhite Quail.  Then it was time for Days Of Our Lives - a soap opera we all enjoy, and a program my mum and I used to watch together!  Julie busied herself for awhile in the kitchen preparing dinner: lasagna, salad, and garlic bread.  She wanted to take the dogs swimming so made a brownie batter from scratch, gave Jim instructions to bake them while we left for a nearby pond!  I cracked up seeing Sassy and Bullet both swimming around - each has their own style.  I won't give away any secrets of their techniques but suffice to say "BULLET - you are so busted as I have it on film!"

After swimming we returned back home to Julie and Jims for an enjoyable dinner and then she and I headed out to the Bangor waterfront.  We spent some time sitting on a bench along the shore of the Penobscot River talking about the local history; as I grew up on a river I enjoy the comparisons and learning about the area. Our seats at the concert were really good ones, a great view and out of the 3,000 attendees we were right in the middle of it.  The familiar sound of celtic instruments and the beautiful voices of Celtic Woman drew our attention promptly at 7:30 pm and the tears were immediate - for many in the audience!  It was the second song that totally blessed and undid me emotionally for yes, they did sing Fields of Gold.  And it was simply an experience that I cannot explain except to say it was beautiful.  There was no where to go but up from that point on and the total concert was just beyond description.  I really enjoy the fiddler/violinist Maererid (?) and her "spitfire, pixie-like" way of performing.  The concert lasted for about two hours and included many favorite Celtic Woman selections in addition to several new ones.  Amazing Grace was perhaps the most inspiring piece of the whole evening.  A solemen, lone bag piper dressed in full array walked through the audience under the spotlight and the stars, playing the opening refrain.  He walked along and you could just sense a holy hush.  When he reached the stage, the muscians and Celtic Woman vocalists opened the song with tremendous skill and ability.  The wind blew the fog across the stage which reflected the colors of the lighting effects and created an atmosphere that emphasized the true meaning of God's amazing Grace clearly expressed through their music.  Bangor Daily News covered the concert well.

The concert was followed by a late night tour of the city and I enjoyed seeing the sites as described by my tour guide - Julie!  We did a drive by of Stephen Kings home and I took a photograph... brrrrr... that is one spooky looking place.  Back in the Harris kitchen again, we enjoyed Julies from scratch brownies with a huge scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream! YUM!  The dogs and Jim were both happy to see us again. 

It was hard to leave and say goodbye in the morning as the hospitality continued right up to the time I walked out their door; I was handed a 'doggie bag' with lasagna and garlic bread and a huge container of ice - coffee for my ride home!  After lots of hugs goodbye Jim carried my few items out to the car and soon I was headed south for the long ride home.  

It was great to arrive back home to John and ATB.  He'd already been hard at work preparing for the Fun Day on Saturday.  The dogs were all great and gave me happy Brittany greetings.  One thing I hadn't known was that the concert was an early birthday gift from Jim and Julie, and this made my time away even more special.  Thank you again so much.

Everything is pretty much under control and in place for our special time tomorrow here.  Each year it's a little different than the year before and we always hope that those who join us have a great time. I love seeing everyone again, sharing the mutual love and affection of the breed and of all dogs. Looks as if we are in for some nice weather to make the day even more enjoyable.  The tents and tables will be set up this afternoon, our fridge is full, and my dining room table is covered with all kinds of stuff for tomorrow.  I still have some last minute housework to do, but I may sneak in an hour or two of reading "Dragonfly In Amber" at some point!  Well, as always thank you for your interest in All Things Brittany and take care, God Bless you and yours - John, Ann and our funloving canine crew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!