ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Summer Specialty - So Much Fun!

Well hi there Pippin, fancy meeting you here in the ring!

John and I traveled to Springfield to attend the ABC Summer Specialty on Friday, the day after our awesome, exciting news that Pippin had won a 5 point major at the Southern New England Specialty Show. I have to keep saying it over and over again - 5 point major - 5 point major!!   We arrived in time to watch the Brittany in Sporting Group but when John realized he was wearing his "J & A's Brittanys" denim shirt, we immediately left and didn't watch the placements.  Originally we'd planned to go straight to our motel, otherwise we would have been mindful.  It is simply poor taste to stand ringside of any show in my opinion with clothing bearing your kennel name. 

I'd waited until last minute to book our room so it was no surprise to learn that there literally was no room at the inn, or the hotel, motel or anywhere nearby the Easter States Exposition Center.  We did find a rather quaint little motel in Westfield though, 12 minutes away.  John went out and picked up a few groceries while Treasure and I kicked back after the 4 hour drive.  It must have been around 90 with high humidity, and I was thankful for the A/C in our room. 

We traveled over to the Big-E very, very early in the morning.  Treasure needed to get in some kind of run before being crated for the day so we stopped on the edge of the field there.   Keeping in mind this whole showing thing is in Treasure's mind 'for the birds', she proved the point when I opened the car door with Treas attached to the flexi-lead. (By the way I HATE flexi-leads and only use them for exercising dogs at shows.)  John and I soon were to realized that we picked the worst place in the world anyone could choose to let a Brittany out under restraint. Before I could even turn and order Treasure to 'wait' for me to get out of the car she bolted full speed ahead and I held on to the flexilead handle for dear life - just in time to see a flock of about a thousand birds feeding on the ground right in front of us! OH MY GOD.  John and I were stunned as it happened in the blink of an eye!  She caused me to physically be yanked out of the car and then stripped the entire flexilead gears, causing the retractable lead to immediately break off!  And there she was!  Little miss I am a bird hunting machine with style and grace working that field like the pro she is - while the birds gave flight around her.  She must have felt like she was in glory land!  Let me add we were in a very secluded large fenced in area of substantial acreage so we were not worried about traffic. John was laughing at what had happened to me, I'm sure it looked hilarious from his point of view and all I could see was this huge flock of birds and Treasure having herself one good time!  She is honest to recall though, and I pointed to the ground, with a firm COME AROUND HERE... and she quickly ran over to where I could collar her.  Well, that was the start of the dog show.

I'd wanted to show Treasure in the American Brittany Club Summer Specialty since I first learned in the summer of 2007 it would be in New England.  As it worked out, Pippin and Treasure were in the same class and because someone moved their dog out of catalogue order - we were next to each other in the ring (see photo above).  Fortunately Pippin is used to being with other people now with me nearby.  That was not always the case!  There were so-o-o-o many Brittanys in the ring during judgement of our class that Pippin and Treasure had a chance to interact briefly, and I was pretty proud to be standing there with our two girls.  I'm loving what has happened between Dawn and Pippin lately, they have established such a great bond.  Pippin has shown me that she will handle well with Pam, Julie and especially Dawn! We did not make the 'cut' that day but I felt that Treasure did great - it's the biggest class she'd ever been in. 

I had selected a very beautiful jewel toned suit, to compliment Treasure's rich liver blanket.  However, when I sat down in the motel room I realized we had severe static cling issues... the last thing I needed to worry about was what would happen to my skirt when I showed and presented Treasure!

There is a book I read ears ago,  "The Beans of Egypt Maine"?  In review, it is a "serious work, about somewhat stereotypical hillbillies, a la the Clampetts, steeped in their rural culture, with a vocabulary and perspective all their own.  While there are parts that are mildly amusing, there are parts where it is difficult to comprehend the type of life the characters lived." As there are aspects I have been able to relate to in some situations, over the years our family has borrowed that title and applied it to ourselves whenever we have taken a trip or ventured to somewhere that is new and we are a little out of our element and out of our comfort zone.  Our trips and adventures have been affectionately tagged at times as "Beans go to Disneyworld... Beans go to England... Beans on a Cruise...Beans go to the State House etc."   This past week I saw glimpses of the  'Beans go to the Summer Specialty' especially when it came to the last minute wardrobe change for me, and Treasure's pre-show bird hunting expedition. 

I enjoyed meeting so many new people belonging to the American Brittany Club, people came from all across the country with their beautiful animals. It was very interesting to observe the interaction among other breeders, handlers, owners - or in some instances lack of it.  On one hand I noticed some mutual admiration societies - as some Brittanys seem to have their own fan clubs!  Sometimes those fan clubs mingled with each other - other times not so much.  But one thing is certain - there were beautiful Brittanys gathered in one place together last week and I would not have missed that for the world!  I was pleased to introduce a new friend I'd met in New York to John, Dawn and others.  I was also happy to meet another new friend face to face.  And of course to be with those who compose the Brittany community in New England. It meant a lot to us every time someone came up to us and congratulated us on Pippins huge win.  It also meant a lot to receive such lovely compliments about Miss Treasure, especially noting her beautiful dark liver coat. We work hard to keep her coat that way - she can't be out in the summer sun for long periods of time, has to use shampoo and conditioner with sunscreen.  This keeps her coat from getting sunburned and bleaching out. 

There was a lovely formal sit down dinner hosted by the Central New England Brittany Club, which John and I had bought advance tickets for.  We enjoyed sitting with a great group of people, including Dawn and Paul Hill.  Awards, recognition, history, displays and so much more made the evening fun. There were a few celebrities in our midst - we had the pleasure of meeting David Frei and his lovely wife, spending some time visiting with them over the weekend.  And also there was "Tally", the beautiful Brittany who did so well in Westminster last year - I remember cheering her on as I watched her on TV.

Well making a long story short - it was great to return back home on Sunday afternoon. We did enjoy the privilege of observing Miss Pippin that morning while Dawn showed her for the fifth day in a row.  She looked real nice but she didn't make the cut that day.   We have no complaints - not one and an awful lot to be thankful about.  Someone who I least expected would say it, told me they felt  "this year your breeding program is finally getting the recognition it has deserved for a long, long time."  There were people there who wanted to show us their males, in consideration of stud selection for Pippin in the future.  We had already decided a couple of months ago, and our choice for Pippin was there.  John was happy to get a chance to 'meet' him in person and gives his thumbs up too.  Now it is just a matter of timing.

We missed the rest of the crew so much and they were quite miffed to have been left behind.  Our neighbor generously helped us out with the dogs.  And today - I am going to take it slow, it always takes me a few days to get my act together physically after being so busy. This week Pippin and Treasure join True and Piper in John's scheduled field training. I think Scooby too. 

If you're wondering about Miss Rose... she will go for her check up Thursday.   She has fully recovered from her surgery, otherwise there is no way John or I both would have gone away together.  Rose and I will be spending more one on one once we've settled back into a routine.  My presence always super charges the energy levels of our dogs once I've been absent for awhile.  With the very hot weather and especially in consideration of her surgery, re-entry back into ATB will proceed slowly.  An early evening run once it cools down followed by a swim in the pond is on today's agenda.  Casper is coming back over this afternoon for a little more birdwork as well.

As always thank you so much for your interest and your support of All Things Brittany... take care, and God Bless you and yours always - John, Ann, and the entire canine crew!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!