ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

I Think to Myself It's A Wonderful World !

(Don't forget to pause the Playlist to the right before viewing!)


The way I feel this afternoon reminds me of the Louis Armstrongs version of "It's a Wonderful World."  Really.  I could just break out in song... I see leaves of green, skies of blue.... you get the picture I am sure.  I was going to write and say 'it's been a very busy few days' but the fact of the matter is 'it's been a very busy few months' and then some!  I remember walking down our ice-covered walkway mid-winter and thinking that by the time we met our goals for our 2011 breeding program that summer would be well underway.  That thought still remains. 

I don't like to leave puppies alone for any length of time and I especially do not like to be a long drive away so this weekend John and I commuted back and forth from the Central Maine Brittany club spring field trial.  It was a great time and not because our dogs did anything significant as far as placements go. It was good because Nova and Brook were there all 3 days and were very involved with all the activities, helping out, and mostly because they participated in a little field trial just for youth.  As junior handlers they ran True and Jack in a brace together.  Both dogs had good finds on birds and honoring each other - giving the girls each a chance to walk in, flush, and shoot.  The family that owns "Moxie" (Janny) and "Daizee" were there too and their son and daughter handled dogs in a brace as well. How awesome to see the next generations get involved like this - I am over the top with joy at this.  And it was just great because the club recognized and applauded them for their handling, and they were awarded prizes including a really big, beautiful blue rosette !!!  Another highlight for me was that the soon to be new owners of  "Benny" were there for the Saturday night supper and awards. We enjoyed a great visit and they also took many photos.  Speaking of which, as I type I'm uploading a brief video to YouTube of pictures they took while visiting Benny.  I also found it extremely enjoyable to enjoy bites of time with several of our friends who were there. John came home at night and I went up to sleepover with Brook, Nova, and Julie then returned home in the morning.  It was so nice to be with Steve and Steph too who have joined the Brit club. Both of them worked very hard - and I had time with 'da babies' Nash and Starr.  Pam and Sam were there also and it was one of those times that all of us could be together.  I should probably be writing about the results of the trial, placements etc. but I'm just so blessed by the events of the past few days of time spent with family and friends and dogs that I love.  Our son and his youngest daughter also stopped by to visit but I did miss them, I was back home. He did get to walk the junior handler brace though.  Also Tiffany and Denis came by with Riley (Trues brother) who enjoyed a mobile groom by Pam. 

Pippins pups will soon be climbing up and out over the whelping box.  They are so cute looking at me and just beginning to respond to my movement and voice. Pippin is such a good mother, I'm very pleased.  There is a difficult choice for me in the weeks ahead as I look critically at this litter to determine if I am going to select pick of the litter (male or female) or if my pick will be placed with someone.  It is likely several pups from this litter will be placed and I am certain there will be no puppy selection until they are at least 7 weeks old.  Likewise, Molly and Scooby's pups are coming into their own and highly active, thoroughly enjoying their life to the fullest. The love affair between the "Mega Litter" and me is in full swing at this point.  We have introduced them to several of the new owners to be and the visits have been so enjoyable.  I really like the new families for so many reasons and I'm looking forward to visits from Ohio and also Massachusetts. I met Marilyn and Roger last fall at a dog show at the time we were all waiting for Bailey's pups. The availability/timing was not there so we all stayed in touch, and they came to a couple of more dog shows - eventually driving up here to Maine to meet our crew.  A very very special time indeed. I'm always happy to know how happy one of our pups will make a family, and this too is no exception.  In fact I think several pups from the Mega litter are truly going to be therapeutic and provide healing and offer joy for those who have lost their dog.  Destined to be outstanding bird dogs too - most will have that opportunity. It was awesome too that we discovered one of those Brits at the Rainbow Bridge shared the same sire as our Jack !  We had another nice visit with Doug and Nancy as well.  I just have such a sense of peace and contentment which defies explanation right now.  I am waiting for that Brittanymobile to pull in the driveway any moment. I know there will be three extremely tired 'Shorts' but oh! The joy that will accompany the memory of this weekend. 

Little can compare to the gift of falling asleep two nights in a row with a precious grandchild in your arms.  That was my gift each night; first Brook May and I, and then Nova Marie and I.  Very special times, very sweet conversations, much laughter (ask Julie!), and more love than one could even imagine.

I have to give thanks...for this day, this life, this memory.  For my husband and best friend, for our family, for our friends, for ATB.  Memorial Day.  This weekend we just created some wonderful new memories.  And I think to myself, it's a wonderful world:

I see trees of green, red roses too, I see them bloom, for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue, and clouds of white,  The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky. Are also on the faces, of people going by
I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do
They're really saying, I love you.

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow. They'll learn much more, than I'll never know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

Take care and God bless... much love, John, Ann and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!