ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

ATB: John's 1st Moose Story


I'm not writing from a hunter's perspective as I tell the tale about the first moose John has ever shot and killed.  I weave a story from the perspective of a wife and mother, who did not grow up in a hunting family but, as a grown up, became part of a hunting family.  It was at my father in laws side that I first learned how to shoot a gun, it was with my husband that I went on my first deer hunting trip (in our back yard in Eliot, Maine), and it is now as a grandmother I see the Short family tradition of hunting continue.

A native of Maine, John has put in for the moose lottery since it first began on July 15, 1980 (see article).  Quick calculations determine this means he entered 31 times. So for 31 years our family waited for the drawing to take place, only to learn time and again his name was not drawn.  Shooting his first deer at the age of 16, he has hunted every year with family and/or friends.  Very often he didn't even have to leave his back yard of 11 acres, or surrounding properties.  He hunted in a time when posting property was not a common occurrence but knocking on the door to your neighbors house to ask for permission to cross their land was.  Speaking of family, friends, and neighbors I just heard from one of John's best childhood friends who lived across the street from him.  'Jerre' told me his mother, who still lives there, really appreciates how our son John Jr. follows the same etiquette taught to him by his dad and grampa.

John and our son have traveled twice to St. Johns Bay, Canada on a group Caribou hunting trip together organized by John. Each of them were successful. They've also hunted big deer together in Illinois. Our son has traveled to Illinois, Michigan, and Anacosti Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence all for deer.  He and his wife went on a moose hunting trip together to Newfoundland where he shot his first moose. (We babysat the two girls pictured above in their hunting gear who were just toddlers at the time.) As any parent knows you have to be fair in recognizing the talents of each child so suffice to say our daughter Maryann has also carried on the Short hunting tradition in the past. She shot her first deer when she was just 16 as well.  John has also enjoyed introducing our son in law David to hunting and they have gone together a couple of times locally.

I'm well aware of the anti-hunting campaign and also respective of people who just would prefer to enjoy their wildlife through photographs. But I'm also personally aware of how much shooting a deer or other game helps any family during the winter months.  It's also much healthier for you - how much more organic can you get?!


In Maine, you can apply for the moose hunting permit as early as January with the deadline sometime in May.  This year 3,205 permits were to be allocated in the states 28 Wildlife Management Districts (WMDs).  This was an increase of 65 permits from 2010.  Each WMD has a 'season date' to hunt.  There are areas which are more desirable to hunters.  And there are areas which are not.  But the chances for getting drawn for a more desirable area are much slimmer than that for others.  John knew this so he selected as one of his choices WMD zone 15.  A zone where only 25 permits would be drawn.  A zone whose furthest boundary was less than a 2 hours drive from home.  And it was the luck of the draw that gave John his very first opportunity to hunt for a moose in this zone.

The drawing was held in the middle of June at Cabala's.  Staci & Jessie, friends of our son and present at the time of the drawing, were the first to hear John's name had been drawn and let us all know.  AWESOME news and one very happy husband and family.

It's really neat to think of how everything came together. We know a lot of folks in the area and there are often reasons for spending time in zone 15.  But to the best of my knowledge it certainly wasn't known for a large moose population.  The day quickly approached, gear accumulated on the kitchen table, guns were sighted in, new ammo purchased, and more.  As John had not named an alternate it was to be a solo moose hunting excursion. Lots of tips and advice were discussed with friends and family including a road trip or two through the area prior to the date.  Just days before John was to hunt, a chance meeting with a friend of his brother (Fred) afforded what would prove to be extremely timely tips and advice.

Not a morning person. But you all know that. John however is and always has been - and especially so when it comes to opening day, an opening day that was for Maine residents only.  (BTW - we are not in favor of keeping the Maine resident's only opening day but that is another story.)  Through my sleepy haze I was aware that John was leaning over to kiss me goodbye before he left.  I told him to be safe, asked him if he remembered this that and the other things, and told him I loved him. It was about 4:45 a.m. (Never leave your loved ones without telling them you love them - never, ever...) 

John is a man who wakes up ready and raring to greet the day, to tackle it head on.  He is also always ready with a joke or to tease an unsuspecting victim. Sometimes I appreciate it, other times I don't.  And often I can't tell the difference. He is THAT good.  The phone rang shortly after 7 a.m. and when I heard John's voice on the answering machine I scrambled out of bed, displacing the Brittanys there with me.  He was saying something about his moose hunt being all over and I couldn't figure out what he meant.  I did not know if he was simply teasing. I kept saying 'what?! - what?! - really!? - no kidding?!'

John had arrived at the hunting spot he'd decided upon and remained in his truck catching a brief nap before the allotted time for hunting. When it was time he quietly got out of his truck and headed to the back where his gear was stored. Suited up with orange, armed with his gun, he slowly turned and was surprised to see several large figures moving in the distance. Adjusting his eyes to the light he drew up his gun to get a better look through the scope. And sure enough, there was 1 large bull, 1 large cow, and 2 smaller yearlings. John moved closer to get a better look and walked very slowly. I can only imagine his heart must have been pounding out of his chest !  I wasn't there in that moment but I can feel what it must have been like for him - after all these years of waiting, and because of all the times he'd hunted with his father, with our children, with his friends, and yes even with me.  How awesome a moment in time for John, one that he will remember for the rest of his life as will I.

John's a safe hunter and would only take a clear and clean shot without risk or chance.  And that's exactly what he did.  One shot, behind the shoulder and he thought he saw the big one disappear from sight.  John continued to watch the others. There was little reaction in the animals, the two younger ones seemed to be playing and the cow just kept on walking, watching John.  As he continued to approach the area where the bull was last seen something BIG caught his eye and sure enough, it was the rack of the bull moose that John had just shot, lying on it's side. 

After John's wake up call that his moose hunt was over I reached my son on his cell phone. He was already out in the woods in Eliot with his two oldest daughters.  He answered his cell in a whisper 'ma... did he get one?'   For some reason I also whispered and responded softly 'yes, he did, he just called.'  So that connection was made.  My next conversation was with John's brother - we were both ecstatic.  Then John and I touched base a few more times and he let me know what was going on. He had reached his brother's friend and it is here a shout out to the Dunnel family is warranted.  This Maine hunting family was all geared up for a day of deer hunting together and ready to head out.  When John contacted them to let them know he had shot his moose they immediately offered to come help. This was unexpected.  But they quickly showed up with their 4-wheeler and trailer. They all worked together to drag and load the moose so John could transport it to the tagging station and then bring it home. That is kindness and generosity one does not expect - thank you!!

During this time our family was talking back and forth, making plans and happily sharing the news about dads first moose - woo hoo!   John jr. and his family came over to our house to wait for the arrival of John and his moose.  When I saw his truck pull into the driveway I couldn't believe my eyes.  The first thing I did was race up to my husband and give him a great big congratulatory hug and kiss - and I had tears in my eyes... really.  I was just thrilled for him.  (The animal was beautiful, and I would be lying to say I do not experience a sadness to see such a majestic animal like that however thinning out the moose herd is necessary and putting food on the table is too.)  I was happy to see John's brother Fred pull into the driveway. (Maryann was very excited for her dad too but she was where she needed to be for her family and fulfilling Saturday commitments with her kids and her husband David.)

It was a full day for all of us but especially for John and his moose.  Plans to have the meat cut and prepared by family and friends fell through due to the Nor'easter which left nearly 2 feet of snow on the ground and power outages everywhere.  John's moose hung for a day and was then transported to a local cutter.  He weighed in at 706 lbs., his rack was 47" wide with 17 points.

One of the things that Maryann and I have commented on together was how much this would have meant to her grampa, which was John's dad.  The Shorts have always been a close family, long before I married John.  They have been a family of pride and tradition, of hard working men and women, people with strong values and with strong opinions. Folks with good hearts and giving ways.  I see it carried on in our son and our daughter. And hunting is as relevant to them as breathing.  It's just the way it is. Maryann and I reflected on how her grampa must have been looking down with so much love at John, and especially at seeing both of his sons together. I know how much it means to me when I see our whole family together, and maybe that's something to pass along as well.

REFLECTION
Things are changing in our world.  And sometimes you just have to get back to basics, whatever that happens to mean to you as an individual.  I know for our son that means returning to the same woods where he once walked not only with his dad, but also with his grampa.  He was like a little Daniel Boone when a little kid - and more than once I opened a skillet to see 'some' kind of local small game simmering, usually thanks to grampa.  He and Maryann use to play make believe hunting, and they would craft bows out of flexible willow branches and baling twine.  The stories go on and on. Sometimes you have to go back 'there'.  Speaking of which, most every fall our son returns to his first hunting grounds, sets up a tree stand and is there early in the morning on to wait and watch.  Most often he is successful. And now he brings our grandchildren there.  I have to say I really was blessed to learn he still asks the neighbors permission.  As Maryann suggested grampa was looking down and smiling about John's first moose yesterday, I wonder if our son John somehow senses a similar thing about grampa when he returns to hunt in Eliot.  Anyway, these are the things a mother tucks away in her heart.  Things I value and treasure.  I'm glad my daughter and I share a sensitivity to all of these family memories and reflections with each other.  And by the way, it was on our sons birthday when his dad shot the moose. 

We'll be looking forward to enjoying the "back strap" and the tenderloin from the moose.  Afterwards, my recipe books of game will be taken out of the cupboard again!  I can't wait.

Thanks for your interest in All Things Brittany, and as always take care and God Bless.  John,  Ann and ATB

1 comment:

  1. What a beautifully written story about family, tradition, and traditional values. You should submit it to a magazine. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!