ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

ATB Video: Keepin' It In The Family (4 month old pups)


 
Southern Maine's weather has been cooler and drier the past few days giving us all a sense of refreshment and renewed energy - especially the dogs!  Additionally, I think my knee is finally beginning to respond favorably to the most recent Synvisc-1 injection received just about a month ago as evidenced by less pain upon movement.  The fact of the matter is that I can realistically anticipate for less joint pain, better mobility and greater range of motion for about 10 months or even longer.  As I continue to be successful with Weight Watchers I know too that effects the weight bearing pressure on my knees. Suffice to say, the lower humidity happily coincides with my desire to work alongside of John training and handling our crew!  Okay, now that we've talked about the weather and my medical issues which seem to be resolving themselves, let's move on and get to the point, which hopefully points to the above video.
 
Earlier in April this year Treasure gave birth to 11 beautiful Brittany puppies sired by the handsome dude we know and love as Bullet Man.  As you may already know this breeding produced our first true line breeding.  From the beginning we quickly identified a wonderful consistency within the pups temperament, structure, intelligence, and especially the natural, inherent hunting abilities.   We knew what we wanted, we knew what to look for, and we knew when we were seeing it! 
 
Our hearts are so full of love and affection for so many Brittanys.  Some of them share our lives and home, all share our heart.  Almost daily we receive updates and photos in our email, on Facebook, and on the phone (but John takes the calls as you may know!)  What developed here at All Things Brittany through our mutual love not only of the dogs (and often the mutual the love of God) is more than we could have hoped for.  Our ATB 'family circle' spans several years and generations with friendships not only made with our new puppy owners, but a lot of the owners stay in touch with each other on a regular basis.  Some very genuine and authentic, loving friendships have developed and continue to develop. And it is good!
 
One of the things that has also developed in the years following John's retirement are ability to work well with the dogs.  I really like what one of our Brittany friends says about him, that John is 'dog magic.'  And this is something that just kind of happened because of the time he had available to spend with our own crew, and several from our program.  I'm proud of him. I enjoy watching him with our dogs in the field. They are a team. This is not to say that John and I are not a team unto ourselves of course, that is a given as we approach 38 years together! 
 
I have had the privilege of watching my husbands skills take shape right before my eyes.  I have seen how he takes a Brittany from our program, adult or otherwise, out into the field and evaluate their skills.  I've watched as he takes a pup who has had an overload of obedience training and is fearful to make an independent move towards a bird - transformed in a very brief time.  I've seen him take an older dog who may have been blinking birds, work with that dog a few times, and next thing  you know they are a bird finding, pointing machine.  There's times when he has had to administer necessary corrections to a well loved adult finished dog, knowing full well he hates the look in a dogs eyes when they realize they have displeased John - their master, their owner, their friend.  He is not a trainer by trade, and certain has no aspirations to turn professional.( I smile on the inside when I hear people refer to him as a 'pro trainer'. No. John is simply a nice guy who enjoys seeing other people succeed with their dogs.) 
 
It's a standing joke around here that John has now 'stolen' two of my Brittany boys - True and Hemi.  They were to be my so called 'show dogs.'   Well, I have come to deeply respect John's keen perception as to when a young dog should be out in the field as opposed to running around a ring.  I have had to learn there is no rushing the process - either process, and not to be in such a hurry.  And I have been able to better respond to advice given to me ten years ago in regards to knowing for certain what 'my' goals,  hopes, and dreams were in regards to our dogs. I have learned not to apologize for being a breeder whose priority is to raise bird hunting dogs who hunt exceptionally well in the Maine woods and fields, and the entire New England region. I have learned to be unwavering in that commitment.  Some of us must walk to the beat of a different drummer.  And I'm so thankful that John is one of those individuals.
 
We recently rejoiced with the accomplishment of our first bred by AKC show champion, a champion soon returning to the field that he loves and excels in.  We are confident and thankful that our second and third bred by show champions are very close to a reality, and there are others.   I think it's finally beginning to sink in.

Each time we make a conscientious decision to bring two animals together, it is done because we want to improve upon what is already good. I think this can mean that the best of  our 2012 program is much better than the best of 1990, the year we bred our first litter of Brittanys!  Long time breeders have the benefit of learning, growing, and most important of experience.  They should also easily be able to identify the strengths and weaknesses in their line through each generation.  They should expect to see improvements with each successive mating of animals, whether by strengthening that which they want to remain or eliminating that which they do not want. 
 
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this very brief video which I put together today. To watch these Brittany dogs of various ages is indeed to clearly identify the specific thread which is carefully woven from one generation to the next.  I know we're going to have some very happy bird hunters! Take care and God bless.  This video points to several generations of J&A's Brittanys.  John, Ann and our canine crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!