ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Thursday, August 2, 2018

ATB - As Time Goes By...

Timeless Treasures meet the Patriots, so cute.


Timeless Treasures graduate to the obstacle course, what fun! Great grandma Pippin sits nearby.
Well, we knew the time was going to fly by but sure didn't expect it to pass this quickly!  The Treasured Dreams pups of Bullet & Holly are going to be 6 weeks old this weekend, and the Patriot pups of True & Toph will be 4 weeks old.  As crazy busy as it has been here for all the right reasons I would like to freeze these fleeting moments in time just so that they would last a little longer. 

Personalities are clearly seen and recognized in Holly's pups. Toph's puppies daily show us who they are.  Each day is a new adventure to make sure there is something fresh, new, exciting and fun for them to discover.

While I know there are some of you who do not use Facebook and understandably so, that is where the most recent photos have been uploaded. This is because my laptop had to (once again) go in for repairs. I have loved Dell Inspirons for years but the honeymoon is over. Consequently my most recent photographs have all been shared on the All Things Brittany Facebook page. Alana was here for a few days to help us out and we took a nice group of photos showing body and faces of the pups for easier identification.  

All of the new families that are getting a puppy from Holly's litter have visited us.  It was a wonderful sort of busy over the past 2 weekends.  There were reunions of ATB Family as well as very enjoyable first time meetings of those who we have just been getting to know.  I know God's in this because already I feel so close and drawn to the new puppy families. You know who you are! Next week we will begin to get together with the families visiting with Toph's puppies. I'm not naming names but along with those getting their second J&A's Brittanys is one of our veterinareans.  Blessed with several great relationships with vets in the area, this just puts a smile on my face.  

And speaking of vets, our pups just had their first in house well puppy exam.  This was for eyes, ears, lungs, heart, testicles (boys), and general overall health.  They passed with flying colors.  They will be seen again when they are vaccinated and microchipped at 7 weeks. Wow - that's not too far away for Holly's pups!

Tonight both litters were in the puppy pen albeit not together.  The older pups have graduated to the tunnels and impromptu obstacle course. What a riot!  It didn't take too long before Polly, Beth, Dudette, Dude, Legend, Dolly, Mo, Star, and LJ were chasing each other through the tunnels!  The younger pups enjoyed their second time in with the Little Tykes play fort and the puppy activity center.  Patriot, Hamilton, Betsy, Spangle, Banner, Rocket, Sam, Hope, Franklin, and Revere may look sleepy in the photos but boy oh boy - do they come alive when introduced to something new!

Thanks to Alana loaning me her CD player I have been able to incorporate the Library of Sounds Sound Effects into the pups development focus.  There are streetcars, horns, people laughing, applause, horses, tea kettles whistling, train, gunshots, etc.  I play this CD when the pups are eating.  We have also been shaping the pups a bit for clicker training.  As we bring their food pan to them we click several times in a row before setting it down.  Then, as each pup begins to eat, they get one click.  So now they associate the sound of the click with something positive, in this situation food!  Many pups are not food motivated but for just the basics with pups this young it works.  Tonight with Holly's pups I took it a step further.  Without a food pan involved I went in and simply stood over the pups to see what type of behavior they would offer. After the initial jumping up on me they began to sit down, one by one.  Up until now I had been ignoring those who jumped but patting and praising the ones who sat quietly.  Tonight however, as they sat down I clicked and treated! It amazes me how intelligent pups this age can be because within just a few minutes, and I kid you not, they were sitting and expecting the click/treat!  Next? I'm going to teach them "watch me".... eye contact with me will be the behavior that gets rewarded.  

Is clicker training new to you?  It can be used in just about if not all training situations.  I highly recommend that you look into it.  There's a lot of information. Karen Pryor is one of the founders and that's where I started to learn about clicker training a litter.  YouTube has many videos on the subject.  Clickers are not expensive at all.   Check it out!

I'm tired (wonder why?!) and I know this post is boring and seems to drag on. I have so much I'd like to share but I do prefer to have photos to go along with it. I'm just happy that weaning is going so well for both litters, that the puppy pen WAS a great idea, that our new families are all I could have hoped them to be, and that all is well.  

I'm enjoying the correspondence, the questions, the feedback and just knowing that everyone is 'doing their homework.'  Don't forget John is such a wonderful resource and one thing for sure - he loves to get together with anyone who can be at the training field by 7 a.m. on a weekend morning! (Or weekday for that matter).  

And with that dear ones, I shall have to call it a night. Or, a morning as it is just 10 minutes to midnight!  Please take care and God bless - John, Ann, and All Things Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!