ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

J&A's Brittanys - And Then There Were...

Several of the beautiful crocheted puppy blankets that "Aunt Julie" has lovingly made.
One goes home with every puppy carrying the scent of momma and littermates. We
are so appreciative of Julie's unending devotion to help us to assure the best homecoming
ever as the puppies begin the first day of the rest of their lives.  Thank you Julie!!!

Sometimes it is just so hard to express in writing what the heart is feeling, what the heart wants to share. Tonight is one of those times.  

I just 'tucked in' the most sweetest, beautiful Brittany puppies for the night!  By the time I turned and walked quietly away they were all snuggling up together in a cozy, warm puppy pile.  The same puppy pile that I have been blessed to be a part of while sitting with them on the floor, on the ground, or on a blanket in the puppy playground we made.  One of the puppy piles has become increasingly smaller over the past few days. It will continue to do so until only one remains. 

Tonight Dolly seemed to understand that she will be somewhere else tomorrow night, in a family where she will be their one and only.  A family who deeply loves Brittanys and a family who sustained a great loss just about a year ago when their beloved Brittany passed.  Their visit back here to us from New Brunswick was bittersweet, this I know. But when they contacted me about a puppy my heart leapt for joy. 

They were one of the first families to come meet the puppies. I was so disappointed that it was a rainy day because that meant we'd have to stay inside but still the atmosphere was warm and cozy.  Coming down from Canada they had made a weekend of it and found a campground to stay at the night before. I could barely contain my joy at seeing them again!

The last time I saw Sarah and Jason they had not been married all that long nor had they started a family yet.  I had the pleasure of being introduced to two fine young gentleman; their 4 year old and 10 year old son. Very polite and sweet boys, they have been brought up around farm animals for that is what their family has always done for generations.  They understood the importance of moving slowly, not over handling, and being very gentle with the young pups.  Sarah and Jason are clearly wonderful parents raising responsible children.  (The same could be said for several other returning ATB families - and you DO know who you are, each one of you 💖 ) 

The decision as to what puppy will go home with what family resides within John and I.  He usually defers to me but this time we really collaborated together. When a family or a couple visit us we give them three colored collars.  (I know I've shared this before but I just had a birthday so now I repeat myself, it's expected, right?)  Before they leave we have them place a color on 3 pups that they like.  We also tell everyone to fall in love with the entire litter and not just base a preference on gender, color, or from looking at a photo. We do ask for preferences on the application but make no guarantees.  I then keep an index card with everyone's top three choices.  After the Puppy Aptitude Testing and other evaluations I review the questionnaires, the applications, and our various conversations through email and chatting.  I may have a few questions but usually the puppy ends up being one of their top choices, if not THE top choice. 

I knew exactly what Sarah and Jason were looking for and why. And it went way beyond  their bird/waterfowl hunting needs.  As they sat down with the puppies and their boys the young Brittanys clamored over to where they were.  Waves of emotion flooded over me and they flooded over them as well. This was understandable. The youngest boy noticed a magnet  of a Brittany head that ironically looked very much like the one they lost.  He asked why did I have a picture of his Brittany on my door. I almost lost it. 

As I observed and listened, letting things happen naturally I did pay attention to the Brittany who was most interested in them. The pups were just a little over 4 weeks old which was a good age for them to visit with younger children.  The pups had not yet turned into the clever litter piranhas that nibble on toes, shoelaces, and fingers like they are at 5 weeks of age! 

While I chose not to reveal the particulars about which pups are whose lists there are always going to be those stand out alpha puppies and stand out omega puppies.  Some people are drawn to the alpha and vice versa. But that doesn't mean it's always the best fit which, to me, is one of the most important things of all.  So while you could ideally put a blindfold on, choose a pup and absolutely end up with a top notch bird hunting dog you may not end up with the personality best suited for you and your family. Let's just say it makes life easier when you do. I realize not every breeder looks at it this way but we do. 

Shortly after the P.A.T.s and unless we are selecting a show quality pup for someone, our decisions are communicated to each family who has been patiently waiting for the exciting news!  Occasionally I will note something extra special in a particular puppy that would be just perfect for one family but not for another. With Sarah and Jason I wanted to be especially sensitive to the gender and color preference for obvious reasons. There were several more conversations between us. In the end the choice was theirs to make based on my suggestions and comparisons.

The other thing I want to mention because we were also leaving the final outcome up to the Lord.  Sarah and Jason too are Christians and we share a likeminded faith.  Prayer was involved as we all were trusting God for the outcome. And He did not disappoint as He worked to guide and direct us. He worked it all out in what I believe is His purpose and plan.  

Tomorrow Miss Dolly will become Miss Sage.  She will kiss the faces of two little boys and their parents and I suspect kiss some happy tears away too.  Perhaps there will be a few nibbles as well. John and I will release this sweet girl from our home but never our hearts. And thus the first day of the rest of another pup's life will begin.  God who is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow will be there every step of the way into long life.  Memories will be made and I shall look forward once again to the exploits of this special family who will share them with their pup.  This pup will not be left at home when the family goes camping, ice fishing, snowmobiling, to the beach or on vacation.  She will be there by their side in the ice shack, on the sleds, and in the water. A new puppy that will not ever take the place of who came before her, but a new puppy who will be happy to receive all the love that is poured out up on her. She'll be trained, she'll be smart, she'll be amazing. This I am certain of.  And for this I thank God for.

By the way, I have heard from all the owners of the pups who have already left!  I'm so happy. Most ride homes were uneventful, gratefully so.  Schedules are being adjusted to accommodate the new family member. First nights spent in their new crates with their familiar Aunt Julie puppy blanket and special toy have not too unbearable.  A few protests.  I have heard some pups are already showing their owners signs that they want to go out to "do their business".  I have seen a picture of one of the puppies already starting their puppy gundog training on a live bird and establishing a lovely puppy point!  They all were on birds by the time they left. I do have a few on video.  We have taken photos of most of the new families with their new puppies before leaving here and I'll share those at a later date. I hope you've caught the videos though that I have been sharing on my personal Facebook page as well as the ATB page.  Which reminds me - there has been a request for a more private Facebook page just for actual ATB family, especially Toph and Holly's pups. Or at least to exchange emails or FB names. I approve!





No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!