ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

J&A's You Say Hello, I say Goodbye

Bittersweet, melancholy, joyous, excited, thankful, proud, grateful - how many superlatives may one use?  These are just a few of the feelings, of the emotions which I have been and continue to experience as puppies begin the first day of the rest of their life.

I sat on the floor of the puppy room at midnight a few nights ago with nine, eight week old Brittany puppies.  They gleefully jumped upon me for attention each wanting  a gentle hug and to hear a soft 'goooood puppy' spoken.  Several attempts were made to untie and demolish my shoestrings and a few of the playful and teething mouths wanted to help with body piercings.  Thus my loving piranha pit!

There's always music playing when pups are involved and at nighttime they listen to classical, instrumental, relaxing ambiance type music thanks to Pandora.  I tune in to the 'Relaxation Channel' and they listen to the likes of Kevin Kearn, Tim Janis, Danny Wright, Lorie Line and others. Music without words that can tug at the heartsrings.

No photos tonight here although I have a gazillion.  I'm still trying to figure out the most efficient and effective way to load, edit, share photos and quite honestly I'm very frustrated to have to start from scratch.  My cell phone pictures and videos are okay for a quick fix. Hoping to rectify this situation sooner than later.  When I have time.  Ha, that was a joke!

In the past 72 hours I have kissed goodbye and blessed 5 of Holly and Bullet's beautiful puppies. In that time there have been some awesome reunions with ATB family some of whom brought their older J&A's Brittany with them. Oh my heart. I also could not be happier for those who are getting their first puppy from us and I thank God that in His ultimate and mysterious ways has led them to us in their search for a bird dog puppy :) And tonight there are 4 pups remaining who will soon be in their new homes too.

But in the past 72 hours I have also prayed for and with others in our Brittany family on behalf of their beloved dogs. We went to visit with the  owners of a young dog recently diagnosed with cancer of the spleen and are believing for a miracle despite what the doctors say.  There was ongoing prayer for a senior Brittany in the ATB family whose owner had thought there had been a stroke in the middle of the night but praise God, prayers for healing were answered!   And last but not least, the owner of another deeply loved Brittany contacted me with news hard to share.  This morning they lay on the floor with their senior as he passed away.  Recently, our Rosie who is going on 14 gave us a scare a few weeks ago. Our vet agreed it was 'her time'.  By the time he returned to help her 'to the bridge' she had a full recovery, well as full as one could be for our special needs Brittany. She's slowing down and has her own issues that are typical of a rapidly aging Brittany. I was amazed that she actually lasted a year after her mother Molly passed. But Rosie is happy in Rosie's world and we are happy about that. Last but not least Bullet (sire of Holly's puppies) had surgery to remove what turned out to be an ingrown toenail of all things. He's recovering nicely but still has a lot of pain.

All for the love of the dog, both given and received. That's what we say.  That's what we mean. A Brittany puppy will give you one of the happiest days of your life!  And one of the very, very saddest. Tonight I choose joy yet I realize people I care about are experiencing the very, very saddest. It's not always all about the dogs, we all know that.  I have a dear friend who is experiencing the greatest loss of the love of her life. I have a close relative who is battling cancer. Another whose marriage of many years is falling apart. Lord, have mercy.

Tonight I sat in the middle of the 6 week old puppies pile.  I held them close and looked into each of their eyes.  There is such joy and life within them.  I watched as my precious 12 year old Treasure played happily with her grand puppies, reigniting a spark in her rarely seen these days due to canine dementia. The choice to keep a puppy resides with me. She has been my one concern.  Having puppies to care for definitely encroaches on the time one wants to spend with the seniors, our sweet geriatric crew, which are in the majority at the moment.

The point here that I'm trying to make is a simple one. And a response to a post I made tonight on Facebook resonates with me. It is perfect and applicable for the way I am feeling right now about the many things that want to occupy my mind.. I like to keep things simple so let me leave you with this verse as I ramble my way to bed.  Actually before midnight tonight. And all is well.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!