ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, July 29, 2019

ATB: Holly Beth @8 Weeks / Day 53

Now It Begins
ALL THINGS HOLLY - @Day 53
Holly is staying quiet during these hot and humid summer days.  It's a very uncomfortable time of year to be pregnant.  (My oldest granddaughter knows this all too well as her due date draws near. I am more than excited to become a great grandmother!!) John and I have been revamping and transforming the grooming area/puppy room and things are shaping up. We opened up the entire space by removing the room divider.  There is new flooring.   I am making my list of whelping supplies to have on hand. Puppy movement can be felt!

The whelping box is being carefully prepared once again.  I refer to ours as 'the cradle' because there is one that has been used from generation to generation of J&A's Brittanys. Holly will give birth for the second time in the same whelping box that Treasure gave birth to her in 2013. It's also where Holly's sire Hemi was born to Pippin in 2011.  Pippin was delivered in this cradle by Chrissy in 2008.  It is probably also the same cradle where both Jack (2005) and  Treasure (2005) were born to Wish.  There were other ATB puppies whelped in it as well. Soon, Holly & Jack's puppies will be safely kept in the 'family cradle'.

(Speaking of cradles, I should say I tried very hard to hold onto the actual beautiful baby cradle that was gifted to me by my in-laws when our son was born.  I also used it for our daughter.  That cradle also held most of our grandchildren when they came to visit and took naps as infants. We loaned it out once and eventually it succumbed to wear and tear. I wish we still had it now for when our great-granddaughter arrives! At this point it probably could be considered an antique.)

The puppy cave as I like to call is modest and separate, quiet, and away from all of the other dogs. Holly will spend more time there as the day approaches. It's cozy and comfortable for her and for us. We'll take turns helping her get settled in.  We have music, air conditioning, television, books, a mini-fridge, coffee maker and books. I'll prep some food and snacks as the day approaches. It is almost time to think about hunkering down with Holly.

Tonight I will begin to track her temperature so that there will be no surprises.  Everything will begin to fall into place as Holly enters her final phase of pregnancy and will be well prepared.  Although we are seasoned and experienced breeders we never take anything for granted. Holly will have our undivided attention. We stay put and do an informal self imposed quarantine.  What is really a beautiful thing is that the rest of our crew here seem to already sense what is taking place in Holly.  (So you know we do talk to them. And we have told them Holly is having Jack's puppies.  Revere doesn't quite get the importance of this though.)

This weekend it was clear to see that Holly is becoming increasingly more uncomfortable due to the growth of her puppies within.  From this point on the pups experience their most rapid growth, doubling in size. The difference is seen between morning and night and that is no exaggeration. John and I are both of course anxious to feel the strong and certain movement of the pups.  Carefully and slowly I rub her abdomen, telling her she's such a good girl. Her tail wags. She's such a love and it is almost in gratitude that she stretches forward to lightly lick at my nose, my cheeks and ears.  Am I really a good girl? Am I pretty? Do I make you happy?  Yes sweetie, all of those things and more.
The hair on Holly Beth's tummy has been falling out for a week or so now. There are places that there isn't any at all.  As the day of whelping approaches I'll take blunt scissors and very carefully trim around her nipples and thin out the hair around her 'bloomers'. 
I have to do my puppy laundry. I love  it when the clean, fresh smelling, soft towels and blankets are carefully folded and placed in the puppy basket, the basket where Holly and Jack's pups will be placed under the heat lamp as she labors. The two hot water bottles will be filled and wrapped in towels to place at the bottom of the basket.  In between contractions and the arrival of each pups they are moved back and forth between basket and mom as the need arises.

We will set a cot up this week next to the whelping box..  I absolutely love falling asleep with just the soft lighting and soothing music playing.  Holly Beth is John's girl though and intends to be 'her person'.  We will both be with Holly as labor begins. Once her puppies have all arrived and are safely nursing at their mothers side we will do split shifts for a week or so.  Although there is no need to interfere, we will always be right there with her.

Over the years I have seen such a difference in pups that are whelped in a quiet and peaceful atmosphere as opposed to those whelped in busy environments with other animals nearby. To me the raw and natural influence of their mother is the most important need for them in the early days and weeks. Shaping their behavior correctly, momma dog teaches them so much. Interaction with John and I is frequent throughout each day, and in time family members and friends come in to handle and help socialize.  From the day they are born until the time the first day of the rest of their lives begin in their new home, we follow a deliberate and specific well proven schedule based on their behavior and development. One that we have shared often with other breeders.  
Puppies... I can't wait. For all the right reasons, I can't wait. The other day someone suggested that dog breeders do it for the money.  I had to bite my tongue before replying. If that were our motivation we would never have planned to breed a litter of Brittany puppies in the first place. Sometimes it is hard to rise above misconceptions and ignorant comments that people make about dog breeding. But this much I know. Anyone who knows John and I, or who has welcomed one of our pups into their lives over the years, or perhaps has enjoyed bird hunting alongside of us understands what we are about. And primarily, that is and always has been all for the love of the dog, both given and received.  We have a purpose driven breeding program focused on the Brittany as a family bird hunting companion and we DO breed to the AKC Breed Standard for Brittanys. 

Plus that sweet and intoxicating scent known as "puppy breath"! 

Take care and God bless, John, Ann and All Things Brittany.










No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!