ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

J&As Brittanys: Revere's 1st Year in Review


J&A's AWAKEN THE DAWN OF ACTON, NA PZll, CGC, TKN

Psalm 108:2  is the inspiration for Revere's AKC registered name :
My heart O God is steadfast! I will sing and make music with all my soul.  Awake harp and lyre! I will AWAKEN THE DAWN singing praises!  I will praise you Lord among the nations. I will sing of you among the peoples for great is your love, higher than the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the skies.  Be exalted O God above the heavens, 
Let your glory be over all the earth!

(PHOTOS FOLLOW BELOW TEXT)
Revere was one of several pups I had my eye on in True & Toph's litter.  As the weeks went on I narrowed it down as I became certain of gender and color.  Still, I did not make my final decision until AFTER their 7 week Puppy Aptitude Test and health exams.  If we were to keep a puppy that puppy had to be the total package no ifs, ands, or buts. I had a purpose and a plan regarding this pick puppy. Having the benefit of knowing what True produced previously with a different dam, there was no doubt of the potential in all of these pups but pups change dramatically from week to week.

I knew what I didn't want and I realized that there are certain stages of development that show you the adult dog and stages that mean absolutely nothing.  Keeping emotions out of a puppy selection was key. I did what I tell all of our puppy families - fall in love with all of the puppies and narrow it down to three. There was no magic, no instantaneous bonding with Revere at that age.  I treated all the pups equally not favoring one over the other.  Every day from the time they were two days old I faithfully worked to stimulate their senses and intelligence. I practiced the Rules of 7 and the Bio-Smart Puppy program.  They all started out the same but I trusted God that there would be that one puppy.  And... I was prepared to pass the entire litter up if I didn't see that one puppy and even turn to another breeder for what I was looking for.  This was also our daughter and grandaughter's first litter so it was exciting on many levels.

The question also was whether or not I was up to meeting all the needs of a young puppy. It is not fair to welcome a new pup into a family only to relegate it to a crate or total confinement during it's most critical development stages.  Even though we have multiple dogs I know the importance of letting a puppy develop and grow with as little influence from the others as is possible. Well we know the rest of the story - Revere was my pick choice, a decision reached with great objectivity but one I couldn't be happier with.

I'd slacked off a lot regarding my own actual physical involvement in the ring and in the field. Not intentionally but because even after two total knee replacements I still experience mobility issues.  Health wise I'd deliberately worked hard to take off about 30 lbs which I have now kept off for over a year. The struggle is real.

We knew that Revere possessed amazing natural hunting ability. When very young we set a chuckar out and let a totally untrained puppy do his thing. He didn't sight point but his body reacted instinctively to the scent of the gamebird which was about 5 feet away in the tall grass. The bird actually walked up and around Revere who stood as solid as a rock, still not seeing it. Eventually the bird ran directly in front of Revere's vision. He quickly surmised that was the desired object of affection and did what every young bird dog puppy should be allowed to do at the initial awakening - chase the bird with glee across the field!!

None of us could have been prepared for what happened in December when John almost died from a massive heart attack. Life as we knew it went on hold for quite a few months.  Praise God that he is a strong, determined survivor and that together we are here to enjoy many more years together doing the things we love with our family, our friends, and of course our dogs.

Ongoing training is so extremely important for a young puppy.  Revere and I started our first formal classes when he was about 5 months old.  Our classes were interrupted for several months because John's needs came first.  Our daughter kindly kept Revere until John was settled in back at home. I have an awesome trainer at Inspire K-9 in Alton, NH and she worked so hard with Revere and I to bring us up to speed. The effort paid off.

In the spring John began to resume some of his favorite activities and a group of friends gathered at the field one weekend. We had about 12 dogs with us, many who were related.  And Revere showed me his stuff in a big way. I liked what I saw but I also knew I wanted his first year to be all about fun and not about restrictions in regards to what he is taught. Not right now.  I also liked what I see regarding conformation so we took up handling classes in addition to the other classes we attended.  We've been busy!

Badda boom no matter what I have asked of Revere he has complied. We have developed into an amazing team if I say so myself.  We nailed the NAVHDA Natural Ability test with very little preparation on a day that it was cold and pouring rain.  He excelled at the CMBC spring pointing breed field trial and earned all his juvenile points.  He worked so hard to successfully complete the requirements for both Canine Good Citizen and Trick Dog Novice titles.  I entered the CMBC dog show 'just' to support the club and he went away with Best in Sweeps. I hadn't shown a dog in about 3 years.  That motivated me to enter shows in Vermont and see what happened. He won a 3 point major!

Revere, like all young dogs, is not without his behavior issues. But we're working on them together and will continue to do so.  Revere reminds me about zest for life, about futures, about possibilities, and to never give up.  He also reminds me that his grandmother and great grandmother, two of my best dogs, are getting old and that to honor their contribution means I move ahead with him.  FIVE generations of J&A's Brittanys on the ground and more to come.

I am a proud breeder and sometimes you just have to be the one to give yourself your own shout out.  Sometimes you have to swallow your pride as things change around you and keep pushing the envelope even further. People change.  Seasons come and go.  And I have a puppy that when I look at him I can clearly look back and see all the hard work, the planning, the sacrifices, the commitments, the joys and yes even the sorrows that are behind him in his pedigree. 1986 until now.  It's been an amazing ride and I expect it's not over yet.

To God be the glory. Enjoy the photos. There WILL be more!
Humble beginnings at 5 days old.
Neo natal Revere 6 days old
2 weeks old he's sucking on my fingers
2 weeks old my eyes are open!
3 weeks old already a striking expression
5 weeks old and Revere stands square unsupported
6 weeks old I'm liking what I see a lot
8 weeks old - prophetic pose!
1st Place Open Puppy (Ann) & Derby (John) for his juvenille field points - 10 months old 


NAVHDA NA 105 Prize 11 title 11 months - he was awesome for me.
Canine Good Citizen & Trick Dog Novice titles 11 Months. Hard work but we did it!

Best in Sweepstakes (first dog show) 11 months - a wiggle butt but a cute one!
3 point Major win - 1 year old - (2nd set of shows).  Unexpected but he sparkled that day!

To be continued! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!