ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Friday, October 23, 2009

12 Day Old Puppies


All 11 pups and mom are doing fantastic.  Many of the puppies are attempting to use their little wobby legs to support their body and actually taking real steps at just 12 days old.  Those who are successful seem totally bewildered as they move so awkwardly and not in control of their own movement.  Sometimes they just take a nosedive into the pile of their littermates.  Other times they just go around in a circle and still there are a couple that are will navigate around the perimeter of the whelping box.  I have added their mother's puppy blanket which is all part of their neo natal experience of a different texture, different scent.  Treasure is now enjoying more extended periods of playing and exercising in the yard.  She has not attempted her 22 second lap around the house yet but she's had some fun running with Pippin who adores Treasure.  I'm watching the development of the little puppy eyes as I know soon they will show signs of opening.  We have started to lower the temperature of the whelping box area ever so slightly and leaving the pellet stove off.  The pups are strong and thriving and can handle the temps below 90 now. The location of where the puppies lay in the whelping box itself is the best indicator of their comfort level of heat and we adjust the above heat lamp accordingly. Treasure is in such excellent condition in ever sense of the word.  I love spending time just sitting with her and watching the pups.  I get mesmerized.  I take them out one by one under Treasures watchful, trusting eye and hold them closely.  Sometimes they will fall asleep in my hands or on my lap while I gently pet them.  And of course - there is that sweet puppy breath all newborn pups have!  I find that my day is full from morning to night; there are the usual chores to be done. I don't believe the "obligatory" interaction that occurs when doing the chores should count as time spent with each animal so I still work in long, quality periods of interacting with our crew here one on one, two by two, and/or altogether now everybody! For one thing, if I don't have that time with them - I feel the loss.  These Brittanys enrich our lives so much and are such an important part of all we do.  They don't ask a lot of us but they do give so much.  Right now the care and feeding of the pups is pretty much Treasure's responsibility other than our watchful eyes, weighing, etc.  In about a week and a half that is all going to change.  This is a very special time in their development and I'm enjoying every minute of it.  I know that raising 11 puppies to be the very best that they can be for those who await them is going to take every waking hour.  But all too soon - they will be gone.  I am looking forward to when they are about 5/6 weeks old and John and I introduce them to birds! Oh there really is a lot I'm looking forward to.  Their first time out on the grass, our first trek down into the woods, running across the yard, teaching them to come when I say "puppy! puppy! puppy!".  So many things... all for the love of the dog, both given and received.  I'm tired and writing fast and still dealing with the FUNK that surrounds the feeling of not quite coming down with something but also the Lyme Disease flare ups, especially as the weather changes. But I have some great pictures I'm going to get loaded over onto this blog from Picassa.  And a couple of videos but probably won't get that done tonight.  It's going to be an early night!  Have a great weekend, and take care and God Bless!  If you're on Facebook, we are too and have some great photos there.  (I'm hooked on playing Farmville and the Cafe...)  Take care and God Bless you and yours, John, Ann and ATB

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!