ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 58 Getting Close

Treasure's temperature is hovering just at/below 100.  I am looking for a steady temperature drop that remains below 100.  Her behavior indicates that she is experiencing great discomfort because of the puppies she is carrying.  She stretches and moans, rests, pants, and is uneasy - yet not extremely anxious as she will become closer to delivering the pups.  Last night I slept in the 'dog house' on the couch to monitor her closely.  John and I have the camera/monitor/walkie talkies connected so we remain in contact with each other. Our vet knows that a litter of pups is due.  As this is her first litter I dare not take anything for granted.  Wish, Treasures mother, delivered her first litter very quickly with little warning.  Treasure looks at me for reassurance when she is experiencing what must be early mild contractions.  This can go on for several days but I hope not for her sake.  I had to make a choice about where to be this afternoon and early evening... there was a club meeting to attend but  the decision was obvious to me that I should remain right here with Treasure.  It's not like I can ask someone to check in on the dogs like we usually do - this is different. 

The pellet stove is running on low heat in kennel, I have my cot, books, bedding, coffee pot, music and of course satellite t.v.  I sit with Treasure and gently massage her tummy often.  She is not usually a needy dog other than enjoying our company.  I mean she doesn't paw insistently for attention and is content to simply be nearby.  Things are different right now though, Treasure seems to find comfort in laying as close to me as possible and pressing her back up against me somehow.  The movement of the pups is strong and is felt on both sides.  It is hard to estimate how many so I won't try.  I just pray for healthy babies, and an uncomplicated whelping for Treasure and for us.  It's a very exciting but very serious time for us here at All Things Brittany and it's important to keep things as quiet and normal as possible here for our first time mother.  I'll do my best to keep the blog current and look forward to when I can post the news that our Treasure has had her first litter!  Remember us in your thoughts and prayers - we'd sure appreciate that.  Take care and God Bless you and yours, John, Ann and ATB

2 comments:

  1. You're certainly in our hearts and on our minds, looking forward to the birth announcement!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!