ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 55 - Pregnant, Playful, Birdy, & Wise !


We're at Day 55 from our first breeding of Treasure and Gibson.  She is huge and very uncomfortable but still has the enthusiasm and energy of a typical Brittany~!  The morning John and Jack brought home the two pheasants (Opening Day) Treasure thought she'd pull a fast one I think.   John tossed the two dead birds onto the lawn and Treasure quickly ran over to check them out.  Immediately she picked one of the pheasants up and I motioned to John not to say anything; had an idea what she was up to.  Feeling miffed about having to sit this hunting season out I could see her wheels of intelligence turning as she proudly paraded in a full circle and then pranced up to the front porch where I was sitting and delievered the bird right to my hand. I just reached out and she placed it into my palm.  No force retrieve training for this girl, she's a natural!

As if that wasn't enough, today I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye what could only be described as a group conspiracy as Pippin, Jack, and Treasure circled the pen where John had cleverly (he thought) hung what was left of the birds after he dressed them out.  I had my camera with me and snapped a few pictures and they are priceless. In the end it was clear to see that Treasure was the ring leader of attempting to poke through the wire and grab the birds.  Fortunately none of the 3 Brits were successful at all, but you gotta give them credit for trying to do it right in front of us!

A little later Treasure and I headed out to the kennel but our flock of homing pigeons had landed down back near the bird pens.  Although Treasure's scenting and pointing instincts have definitely advanced beyond sight pointing she must have still been feeling the sense that something is just missing from her fall routine.  I let her go ahead because she is steady and fairly honest with her birds.  She locked up beautifully even if it was primarily based on the sight of the pigeons 40 feet or so ahead of her.  Walked up around and to her side so she could see me and handled it like it was a bird in the bush..."easy... whoaaaaa girl.... easy..." and the only thing that moved on her were her nostrils and her eye.  We both knew this was like going back to basic yardwork but hey - with her being just about at the end of her pregnancy - we seized the moment for what it was and both enjoyed it thoroughly.  So I took some awesome pictures - because in the field, she is indeed stylish and dead serious about her birds.  She doesn't play around and she would never think of a bird as a toy or a play thing.  So I didn't make a joke out of what is probably going to be her only opportunity to 'hunt'.  I sure wish I had my blank gun with me as I would have flushed the pigeons and handled it like the real deal, knowing she would have held that beautiful point through it all. 

We came back in the house together where I warmed up and shared some venison stew with her.  Just long enough to snap a few more photos and updating the blog.   The pups are making her uncomfortable and I'm doing all I can to help her get through the coming days.  She's stretching and moaning more, has a hard time getting up.  She can't sleep with us in bed as it's not good for her to jumping on or off the furniture, couch bed or otherwise.  She'll be spending her nights in her whelping box most likely from this point on, and I'll be nearby.  God Bless you and yours from John, Ann and All things Brittany


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!