ATB

ATB
Welcome to the ATB blog "J & A's Brittanys" where we love to write about, share stories, post videos and pictures featuring our beautiful, well bred Brittany family bird dogs. With their established and recognized hunting heritage our dogs also measure up to the breed standard regarding health, appearance, movement, and temperament. Enjoy the stories of whelping puppies, tips on field training, bragging rights on accomplishments, sharing joys and sorrow, announcements and as the name implies - ALL THINGS BRITTANY! With a love of God, family, friends, and dog we welcome you.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Hemi

There is a baby in the house again.  And I need to remember that.  Hemi - is just a baby, baby dog that is. If you know me, you know I am not a fan of 'anthropomorphism' by any stretch of the imagination.  I believe that treating my Brittanys like dogs is the best way to treat them. To me, it demonstrates a deep respect towards them as the awesome and amazing creation that God made them to be. So when I say Hemi is just a baby, it does not mean he is being coddled and babied, I'm not speaking to him in baby talk (much) but I am mindful of the very real difference in his needs versus the needs of the adults in the house.

Hemi doesn't get to run with all the big dogs although he'd love to do that.  The big dogs run faster, harder, and are stronger and obviously much bigger. It wouldn't take much for Hemi to get in their way and by doing so accidently be bumped or hurt.  The adult Brittanys are respectful of puppies and would never hurt one but still, it's important to use common sense and knowledge.  Our intact males have all been brought up around pups and to know there is zero tolerance here for any kind of 'peeing' contest - actual or theoretically speaking. But you really can't blame them for expressing their unwillingness when young pups  recently weaned try to check out the equipment the boys have.

Being a multiple dog owner brings an added sense of responsibilty in regards to bringing up a puppy.  It's way too easy to turn a pupster loose with the older dog, rely on them to entertain puppy, and even 'teach' them things.  I have to be very careful not to do this because quite honestly, that method for the most part works very well.  Works very well for me that is - but not for Hemi.  I can open the door and let Hemi run outside with the big dogs.  If I'm lucky, he's going to squat and pee and maybe circle and poop while keeping his eyes fixed on what the other dogs are doing. (Probably the same thing.)  But he's not going to learn a thing from me by allowing this to happen. 

There are indeed times when it is beneficial for an older dog to lead the way in regards to a younger pup. But what am I teaching the older dog? I am teaching him or teaching her that THEY are the leader, not me.  This can be particularly troublesome when dealing with dogs who have been an alpha/dominant in the litter and then tried to bring it into the human family/pack.  I'm preaching to the choir here, and I have to practice what I'm preaching.

So the same schedule and training tips that we send to all new puppy owners are now posted on our refridgerator. Each door has a puppy leash handy to grab for visits outside.  The X-pen has a permanent place now where the kitchen flooring meets with carpet.  A crate from one of our guest rooms has a new place of prominance in the kitchen, and another crate is set up in my office space. There are treats and a clicker always nearby. The roll of paper towels and cleaning product with enzyme (ALWAYS use enzymatic cleaners to neutralize odors from the mistakes) are nearby.  We're basically on standby here watching for those ever important signs to bring Hemi outside.

Hemi is doing great. Really.  I am taking him out through the front door to do his business. I am taking him out on a 6 foot puppy lead.  Lightweight enough so as not to distract him and long enough to give him a little space to find the perfect place to go.  Leaving the leash on means I can direct him to where I want him to go. The reason we're going thru the front door is to eliminate (yah really) the possibility of setting the rest of the dogs into a barking contest, further distracting Hemi.  I don't talk to him a lot when I want him to go to the bathroom.  He's accepting the leash that is on him that I am holding onto. This may sound wierd but here's a tip:  when trying to get a dog to poop while he's outside on the leash, gently guide him to go back and forth in circles, thus imitating the typical dance that often accompanies the act itself.  And in as much as we all want to keep our yards free of dog feces - when a puppy goes, it's a good idea to leave a 'few' in an obscure area where you can walk him/her directly to.  So enough of that before this turns into dog poop 101. (I bet the eyes of friends from the pre-"gone to the dogs" era are rolling.)

I don't like to use puppy pee pads for housebreaking.  I like the pads themselves allright, they are invaluable to me in many ways in regards to raising a litter of  Brittany puppies.  I wouldn't leave a puppy alone with a puppy pee pad.  If you have to leave pup alone in a safe place (preferably their crate) lay an old towel or two on the bottom of the crate or in the x-pen if you're worried about an accident. Don't leave a product made of materials that a pupster could easily destroy and then injest.  The very best material for housebreaking? (And I mean housebreaking as in NO going to the bathroom on any floor any where at any time in your house.) Newspaper. But don't rely on the newspaper or the towels.  Rely on your ability to crate train your puppy so that it's bladder/bowels are strengthened to be able to control the sudden impulse to eliminate right then and there. If you have one of our pups, you should have the article from the American Brittany Club reprint of "Crate Training Your Brittany Puppy" which I sent you.

Sunday night Hemi went into his crate with a peanut butter stuffed Kong, a flexible nylabone, ice cubes in his water dish, and a few treats.  He enjoyed the Kong and the treats then started to protest.  John and I were sitting right there but we ignored him.  He had been fed, was not thirsty, had eliminated and been exercised. It was our bedtime. And it was Hemis.  I don't know what I expected - maybe the worst? But within a couple of minutes all was silent.  He hadn't fallen asleep, he was simply sitting there looking at us through the crate.  When I went to bed, he had fallen asleep. He slept through the night without a peep.

John took Hemi outside when he got up in the morning at 5.  Then plop!  He plopped Hemi onto my pillow. Once again his behavior surprised me. I moaned and thought okay, time for me to get up (UGH).  Wrong.  Hemi did what his mother Pippin does.  He wagged his tail, kissed my face and then wiggled his cute little self right next to my chin. And fell back asleep! 

I had wondered about the possibility of separation anxiety - either because his littermates are all gone, or because of the bond that exists with us.  I worried if I went out of his sight he'd go frantic and bark, yip or whatever it is they do.  No need to worry.  I closed the door behind me while Hemi sat looking on the other side.  I had run outdoors briefly.  I went out of sight around the house and came back in the other door. When I walked through the house, Hemi was laying down casually on the scatter rug.  And it was good!  He also rolls over onto his back for belly rubs, just like his mother still does for John. 

Morning to night - I was faithful to watch and observe Hemi although that surely didn't seem like training or any kind of chore!  Why have a puppy if I'm not going to give him all the time that I need to give him to turn into a well mannered adult dog?  And my efforts paid off. Twice.  The first time was when all of a sudden Hemi stopped playing with his toys, walked over to where I was and looked directly into my eyes.  I got his message and walked over to the door, clipped his leash onto him, and we walked together outside. The second his feet hit the grass, he peed. I told him goodboy, but I also turned and led him right back into the house.  It was not playtime.  His reward was the praise word, my pat, and my joy at his communicating so well.  I didn't want to add confusion to the perfect simplicity of what had just occurred.  Later on after Hemi ate his supper (in his crate with the door open) he walked across the den floor, past John, and came over and stood on his hind legs to pat me with his paw. I was sitting at the computer and not paying attention. John told me to look at what Hemi was doing. I would have missed it had it not been for John! I didn't say a thing.  I walked over to the door, casually picked up the lead, bent over clipped it to Hemi's collar, opened the door and said "outside?"  We walked down the steps together, side by side I led him across the yard to where he had last pooped.  He looked at me and then walked around a little bit before circling, squating, and you guessed it - pooping!  Praise words again 'what a good boy!'  This time - because it was so close to his crate time for the night - I unhooked his leash, turned, and walked in the other direction towards the porch.  Hemi had a case of zoomies then - zooming through the garden, under the steps, across the lawn, around the outside of the x-pen set up there, down the walkway and back.  All the time I'm telling him "Go! Go! Go, Hemi!!"  I got up and patted my side, made a motion with my hand to follow and kept on going towards the back yard.  Hemi sat there and looked at me walking away for a second.  Then followed me and ran ahead to do a repeat zooming around the patio outback while I laughed hysterically.  In the end, he climbed up onto the back porch stairs and stood there looking at me.  Looking at me that is so reminiscent of his mother when she was that age.

Because living in a multiple dog family will soon be a daily reality for him for all the right reasons, I must really work to lay this foundation of a strong human pack leader.  I want Hemi to look to me, not to the other dogs and especially not to his mother. I believe the chemistry and the integrity of a sound, loving and balanced pack mentality can be compromised when just one of the dogs in a multiple family asserts itself without correction or discipline.  It would be extremely unfair in my opinion to integrate Hemi if he had not already experienced strong human leadership. It would be unfair to the other dogs too. I can give our more dominant and alpha minded dogs liberty to work out their heirarchy issues among their 'species'. But not one inch is given to let them do that with us. While we don't run a tight ship here by any means, we do expect the dogs to always respect us, our family and friends, and our home. What may look like a zoo here to someone who visits - is truly a mulitple dog family where each animal is respected and loved for the individual they are and treated accordingly.

Hemi has learned to sit, stand, lay down, come, and watch me through clicker training. His was the 4th litter of Brittany puppies that I trained with a clicker.  All pups have gone to their new homes with a few basic tips on how to continue.  These pups were sitting when their food was put down in front of them at 5 weeks old. They were sitting down and not jumping up going crazy when people visited them. It's how Pippin learned to 'sneeze' on cue, how True learned to step forward and correct his standing, and it's the way several dogs have learned to love to jump into the tub and wait for a bath.  My clicker training with young pups is very basic and very informal.  Today Hemi offered me each behavior that I have previously marked for him. But I did not treat him. I basically sat and watched him as he watched me, as if to try to figure out what it was he should do for me to click/treat. And then he lay down on the floor.  "CLICK!"  Treat.  Several hours later we went through a similar set of behaviors which ended with - yes, you guessed it - Hemi lay down. 

And Hemi is just a baby.  A dog baby, a puppy who turns 11 weeks old tomorrow.  He now lives in a wonderful, exciting new world which he longs to discover, explore, and probably conquer! There are so many distractions to take away from his joy of discovery and I really don't want to get in the way.  But there are times I simply must.  I won't interject a lot of obedience training or over burden my puppy with a lot of commands.  His temperament simply doesn't require it.  He already wants to please both John and I.  If we're clear to expres our displeasure to him in a way that matters and is consistent, he'll learn well enough. It's like not taking the run out of a dog.  You never want to take that out of him as a puppy. Never. So I don't talk a lot to him while I'm training him whether it's in the house, the yard, or down at the field.  I let Hemi work through things, let him learn to think. I don't use a lot of words. He can't understand them. They all run together and mean nothing to him. But he will hear the basics repeated. My tone of voice will teach him most everything he needs to know about my expectations.  His joy of discovery, every new experience, each time Hemi encounters something new - these are the things that are his and his alone to learn from.  By watching him, I actually become a type of student, a student of animal behavior.

And I need patience.  I need patience as Hemi comprehends what is required of him.  I need to ask myself when something is not working is it because I am simply expecting too much of him too soon?  It takes time to learn things. There should be no absolutes when it comes to expectations in a young pup. None. Each pup is different. Each human owner is different. Are I expecting too much too soon? Maybe Im making it harder, confusing him about what I want. It could be that the commands and signals are not consistent or clear. I need to ask if I am remembering to always reward/praise him somehow to let him know when he gets it right. I must be certain I've not been impatient.  Maybe I am even tiring or boring him with repetition? I need to think about my tone of voice, is it light and encouraging? Every interactions that I have with Hemi must be a happy happy joy joy occassion.  I need to train Hemi in brief, short sessions. Why?  Because I love and respect him as a puppy dog.  I want life to be fun for him. And I want the bond that has been developing since the moment I first held him in the palm of my hand to only grow stronger as time goes on.

Hemis mind is like that of other 11 week old Brittany puppies.  It is like a little sponge that is just absorbing hundreds and thousands of new important stimuli, things that will have a lasting effect upon this little guys future.  Having a young puppy to teach and train is like having a clean slate, a book of blank pages.  It is also like remembering anew the joy of puppyhood which in turn, even enhances the existing and wonderful relationships with Pippin, Treasure, Rosie, Molly, Piper and all of the rest of the ATB crew. 

Mostly, Hemi is irresistably, undeniably, cute as cute as cute can be. This red headed freckly faced rascal has stolen my heart. Speaking of rascals, if you ever watched the original "Little Rascals" and remember Alfalfa - that is who my Hemi reminds me of.

It's been a very busy year and I've been trying to be true to my decision to have some time off and take a break. Short of physically leaving for a few weeks I don't see how it's going to happen!  So for now, our summer will continue to unfold before our very eyes, taking one day at a time and trusting God to lead so that we can follow. And it was good. Very very good. Take care and God bless you and yours - as always we appreciate your interest in ATB!  John, Ann and our Brittany crew

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!